Exhaust Systems

HotRodSaint

:
Mazda5 Touring 5 Speed
So far, I've only found the following 2 exhaust systems (actually Mazda Japan shows they have a Mazdaspeed exhaust for the MZ5, but I haven't found a US source.):

Mazda5 Stainless Steel Exhaust System
Reg Price: $949.00 Sale price: $799.00
Mazda3_Stainless_Exhaust.jpg

AutoExe Sport Muffler
Price: $627.00
MZ5_Engine_AutoExe_Sport_Muffler.jpg

The SRMotorsports looks to be a cat-back and the Autoexe looks to be an axle back.

So I got two questions.

1.) Who has experience with either of these and what do you think?

2.) Are there any other choices available before I make my decision?

I'm seriously leaning towards the SRM exhaust because of it's cat-back design.

does mazda like you doing that? LOL
lets smuggle some mazdaspeed 5 exhausts from japan

LOL

I don't think you need to smuggle them.

If you really want it, I'm sure you could find a company that could import it.

But I'd guess that it's more expensive than the SRM exhaust BEFORE you pay to import it, whether you smuggle it or not.

the strong CAD! and my base currency is HKD =p crap on either ways but i see lots of cheap automotive stuff back in hong kong

there is definitely a little customization needed to make it fit. You have to relocate the 2nd resonator farther forward or just delete it all together. you then have to slightly extend one of the pipes and bend the tip a little.

My Mazda dealers parts guy was very adamant that the SRM exhaust, because it's a cat-back system, would void the warranty on the exhaust manifold and any CO2 sensor related issues. He also questioned it's ability to pass smog since it replaced one of the OEM cat's with an aftermarket one.

He was in favor of the Autoexe axle back system because it did not replace the cat.

But he suggested that I call Mazda and see what they say.

So what problems could a cat back system cause 'up' the system that an axle back couldn't also cause? Isn't back pressure, or the lack of it, the only thing that would effect the car 'up' the system?

'Down' the system it could cause the car not to pass smog. But SRM claims that it's 50 state legal. So it would be their problem if it doesn't pass right after it's installed and for the length of the warranty (which isn't posted on their site).

A cat back by law cannot void your warranty you can thank SEMA for that. And it is 50 state legal because your car is OBD2 and they just plug into the port under the dash they don't sniffer test the car. and it's O2 not CO2 FTR. And the exhaust is not going to cause your exhaust manifold to crack or fall off so I cant see how it would be affected by it.

Yet another case of a dealer employee speaking out of his third point of contact^^^ I'm with redrocketz on this one, they can't void the warranty on a part not replaced ie, the exhaust manifold, unless the new part can be shown as the cause of a failure in that part. Passing a smog test is probably iffy, especially in CA where the smog nazis thrive. But if the campany warrants that their header will pass, go for it! I still want to hear that bad boy, where are the sound clips dammit! JFWY Greentea, how does the Autoexe sound? It looks kinda like they put a big chrome cover over a small diameter tube in the photo of the muffle on the car.

Last edited:
Forgive my bluntness but that doesn't sound like 700 bucks to me. Thanks for the clip Saint.

i guess depends what you are expecting to get from the exhaust...
i wasn't expecting for huge performance gain. and i definitely did not want loud exhaust noise.
GreenTea: Review of the exhaust ?

i really like it. i just wanted little bit of sound and that's exactly what i got. i like the looks of it too.
couple of things i can tell you...

first, it is designed to fit Premacy. our Mazda 5 rear bumper is longer than Premacy's rear bumper, so exhaust tip is not flash to our bumper line.
i already got a J-spec rear bumper(not on yet), cuz i'm planning to fir AutoExe or DAMD kit, so i'm fine with it.
but it's something you should think about if you are not planing to get a j-spec rear bumper...

second, i taped the thread on exhaust flange. the exhaust came without threads on flange, but with it's hardware kit(long bolts, sleeves and nuts.)
but i didn't like the looks of the hardware kit, so i decided to tap the flange and use stock spring loaded exhaust bolts.
i don't think it made any difference on how the exhaust fit, but it's definitely looks nicer. just don't know why AutoExe didn't tap that flange in first place...(dunno)

that doesn't sound like 700 bucks to me.

so, just wondering... what kind of sound are you expecting from $627.00 - $700.00 exhaust?

Back