...Changing Flat Tires... Mazda5 in action...

Has to be somewhere in NYC. The 5 has a NJ manufacturer's plate, and the yellow NYC cabs driving by were a dead giveaway.

Looks like Main St, Springfield, (pick a State), US :D. Yup, license plates seem to be from New Jersey though.

Yikes... What is it with these car companies who insist on cutting costs in places that you won't notice until you're in a bind. That little wheel is a joke, and the regular tire won't fit into the space where the donut was. So, there's no way to actually carry your damaged tire with you if you are actually using all of the seats in this minivan.

And isn't that the point of buying a minivan? Cramming lots of seats in one vehicle. This vehicle should have had runflats.

On the other hand, who would actually bother to change the tire of a car that includes four years of roadside assistance?!? If we're caught on the side of the road with a flat, I'm calling the number on the little tag and letting Mazda change it for me!

I wonder where they filmed that.

I googled "Skin TheraP" (the brown awning with orange letters in the background) and found one located at 301 E 81st St New York, New York.

Then I used Street View and I saw the brown awning with the green one to the right. Then I turned around and found the yellow curb were he was parked. And you can see the manhole cover.

So to answer your question. It was filmed on the 300 block of E 81st Street between 1st and 2nd Avenues in New York City. (cabpatch)

i have a stupid donut question
when people get flat tires and have different sized tires than what is stock will the donut work? like if you have dubs or something and put on the spare wouldn't it not touch the ground?

runflat tires cost much much more then standard tires, give a much more stiff ride and the spare is TEMPORARY! makes much more sense for conventional tires.

I think that answers to the question(s)...

And isn't that the point of buying a minivan? Cramming lots of seats in one vehicle. This vehicle should have had runflats.

On the other hand, who would actually bother to change the tire of a car that includes four years of roadside assistance?!? If we're caught on the side of the road with a flat, I'm calling the number on the little tag and letting Mazda change it for me!

If we compare apples to apples, how much is the cost of a top-end minivan (i.e. Chrysler T&C) vs. a top-end Mazda5 (i.e. Grand Touring)? I think is more than USD$10K difference if I'm not mistaken. Do the T&Cs have runflats?

Call Mazda to change a tire? :)

All road assistance programs (including AAA) usually partner with the same local shops, so not too much of a choice, and good luck on having somebody coming to change the tire for you on a reasonable time frame. Once I rented a car for work and got a flat tire next morning (~7:30AM). Called the rental car agency 1-800 who "quickly" arranged a local car shop to do the job. After 30 minutes waiting, no show so I just changed it myself (12-15 minutes). Got to the client 20 minutes late (dirty/sweaty/pissed). Only after lunch I got a call from the car shop saying they had somebody "on the way" (pissed). Now, this was a decent size city, so I don't wanna see the response on a back road at 6PM on a Sunday with your family on board... so yes, it was part bad luck, but I wouldn't rely on it for a tire change.

i have a stupid donut question
when people get flat tires and have different sized tires than what is stock will the donut work? like if you have dubs or something and put on the spare wouldn't it not touch the ground?

The suspension will play out some slack to make contact, but the car will generally handle like a table/chair with a short leg. There's a good chance it or the opposing corner will lose contact when unloaded in a turn, and the "spared" corner will obviously dive lower when loaded...

Just remember one thing when using a space-saver: they are 50/50/50 tires--don't drive more than 50 miles on one, don't go over 50mph, and fill to 50psi (though I think the one in the 3 fills to 62?)

All road assistance programs (including AAA) usually partner with the same local shops, so not too much of a choice, and good luck on having somebody coming to change the tire for you on a reasonable time frame. Once I rented a car for work and got a flat tire next morning (~7:30AM). Called the rental car agency 1-800 who "quickly" arranged a local car shop to do the job. After 30 minutes waiting, no show so I just changed it myself (12-15 minutes). Got to the client 20 minutes late (dirty/sweaty/pissed). Only after lunch I got a call from the car shop saying they had somebody "on the way" (pissed). Now, this was a decent size city, so I don't wanna see the response on a back road at 6PM on a Sunday with your family on board... so yes, it was part bad luck, but I wouldn't rely on it for a tire change.

(mswerd)
I used to be a AAA member, until they couldn't deliver on the roadside assistance duties in a timely manner.
Yes, changing tires is demanding and frustrating, but the best investment you can make is in tools to make it easier--a 24" breaker-bar, and a 10-100 foot-pound torque wrench (a 3' length of pipe that fits over the end of the breaker-bar is good insurance against overzealous impact-wrenching ;))
...you could even go a step further with anti-seize (jack & stands optional) and rotate the tires yourself--I've done it in about an hour using only the spare and factory scissor jack. (note: anti-seize on the hub only!)

So, here is the question... if you have a full load of passengers, even if you are using no luggage space at all, will the tire still fit in the trunk? This is an important point in a minivan where you will conceivably use all the seats at once.

I miss my CR-V with it's full size spare. YOu get a flat tire on mile 500 of a 1000 mile road trip, you change it out, then fix it when you get home.

if you have a full load of passengers, even if you are using no luggage space at all, will the tire still fit in the trunk? This is an important point in a minivan where you will conceivably use all the seats at once.

Yup, it does (see attachment), but I hear ya, it is tight back in there. I love the 3rd row seat versatility, but only for short trips/errands (that was the idea that my wife and I had when bought it, and has been very useful so far). For long trips, luggage and 5+ passengers, I would not have considered the Mazda5 :(, but a minivan or similar.

Attachments

• mazda5_3rd_row_flat_tire.jpg
    mazda5_3rd_row_flat_tire.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 227
I just had to change a flat on Friday - the space for the full size tire makes sense now that I see the diagram, but had I had kids with me they would have all had a lap full of stuff. The included jack worked surprisingly well though. And boy that bright yellow spare makes you go get it taken care of right away!

Roadside assistance doesn't make much sense for a flat tire when you are going to wait 2 hours for someone to show up but could change the tire yourself in 10 minutes.

I googled "Skin TheraP" (the brown awning with orange letters in the background) and found one located at 301 E 81st St New York, New York.

Then I used Street View and I saw the brown awning with the green one to the right. Then I turned around and found the yellow curb were he was parked. And you can see the manhole cover.

So to answer your question. It was filmed on the 300 block of E 81st Street between 1st and 2nd Avenues in New York City. (cabpatch)

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much time on your hands! :)

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much time on your hands! :)

Better be careful, or I'll post the map to your house! :p

But seriously, it took less than 5 minutes. The 'Skin TheraP' was what made it so easy. Had it been 'Skin Therapy', I never would have even tried to google it.

Ok maybe it was more than 5 minutes. Because once I found it on street view I was walking up and down 81st Street. But hey, that was fun! (sssh)

^^ Careful there, HotRodSaint may already know where exactly you are posting from and your Mazda5 may experience a flat tire one of these days as well... :p LOL.

Just kidding, welcome to the forums :D

Yup, it does (see attachment), but I hear ya, it is tight back in there. I love the 3rd row seat versatility, but only for short trips/errands (that was the idea that my wife and I had when bought it, and has been very useful so far). For long trips, luggage and 5+ passengers, I would not have considered the Mazda5 :(, but a minivan or similar.

Yeah I always wondered what that strap was for in the 'tool kit' (maybe hanging myself for destroying a $150 tire?) until I saw the instructions. QUite nice of Mazda to include that.

Back