Rainy season driving tips!

kyoshiro

:
Mazda 5
Lets gather all the rainy season driving tips under 1 topic! First year driving in rainy season in Vancouver (except when i drove in the driving school car) for me (I was 2 years late on getting my license on the other hand).
On the ohter hand, Im on OEM Toyos and I must say, im not amused at the gripability of these in the rain. Im gonna change them before next winter for sure. If stuff hits the fan, ill buy steel rims and put winter tires on.
But yeah back on topic, ill start off with 2 tips.
Id say the best thing is to step on the accell slowwwwly instead of slapping it hard (can cause deliberate tire spins but if the 2 wheels up front dont grip together, you're screwed)
Dont use Auto for wipers, cuz they aint fast enough

Yes, Toyos are not the best tires for rain. I use Michelin Weatherwise on my Honda and they are much better on rain and snow than the OEM. Now, I think no tire is rain proof if you don't know how to drive under rainy/snowy conditions...

My tips:
  • Keep 2-3 times more space in-between cars to what you are used to during dry weather
  • If you drive a MT, support your breaking with the engine
  • Don't race (yeah, teenager accidents did happen, duh!)

And top item in (google) search seems useful:
http://www.edmunds.com/ownership/safety/articles/45401/article.html

thinking if i should sell my OEM Toyos and swap for some Michelin or hope i win the 2000CAD coupon in the survey draw so i get a free set of winter tires lol.

Kyoshiro, you're in the Vancouver area, right? You're going to have to become an EXPERT on driving in the rain. You'll want better tires than the OEM Toyos, which are useless in the rain.

I have a set of Falken ZE 912 215/45/ZR17s all seasons (or what I call three season tires) that would probably suffice as a Vancouver snow tire. Very grippy! I bought some cheap 16" mags with Nokian Hakkapeliitta RSi 205/60/R16 for the snow covered mountains here in the Okanagan.

Keep off the gas, drive smoothly and watch yer ass, the id10t behind you in the Beemer thinks traction control means car avoidance. Everyone drives too fast and too close in Vancouver for the roads, which are in terrible shape. Especially when they're greasy like they are when the monsoons first hit!

Back