Back Up Camera and Rearview Mirror Accessory

Am interested in this accessory but have a question regarding installation kit. Most sellers sell as two parts (i) the mirror unit and (ii) presumably the camera and the "box of tricks". I like the mirror unit a lot but particularly want a camera installed in the license plate holder (many available on eBay), are these systems generally compatible or are they bespoke.

Dumb question #2: Is the cargo cover too wide to be stored behind the 3rd row seat when not installed or does it have to be held outside the car?

Great to see so much traffic on this forum in recent weeks, it seems the "whisper has become a shout" and everyone has heard about the CX-9.

Dumb question #2: Is the cargo cover too wide to be stored behind the 3rd row seat when not installed or does it have to be held outside the car?
Yes, unfortunately it is too wide to be stored behind the 3rd row.

Last edited:
The X5 we have comes with a cargo cover, I have to say we have left it at home from almost the beginning. I'd rather just have a throw in the back ready for spillage or to cover stuffs I don't want people to see (Hmmm, thinking about Sopranos).

I didn't pay extra for it since it's std, but I were to pay for it, I will not get it.

Go aftermarket with your back-up camera in your rearview mirror. I had priced one at Circuit City for $700 installed, with a licence plate mounted camera.

Go aftermarket with your back-up camera in your rearview mirror. I had priced one at Circuit City for $700 installed, with a licence plate mounted camera.

costco has an alternative, but its not a mirror....

http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=10301032&whse=BCCA&topnav=&browse=&lang=en-CA

I was fortunate to order a factory installed back up rearview mirror camera, and it works great. It really helps with parking and the viewing angle is wide.

Had the dealer place the factory order for me and labor was already included with the invoice price of the accessory.

Latest posts

Back