Someone did a write up on tranny fluid change?

sierra248

Contributor
:
2007 MazdaSpeed3
Looking for the write up, want to make sure that I have all the tools before I begin. Also anyones whos changed there tranny fluid, did you need to replace any kind of crsh gaskets, was reading an article on the speed6 and wasn't sure ifm they were talking tranny or differentials?
Thanks,
Tom

I haven't seen a write-up but it's not hard. Put the front wheels up, preferably on ramps. remove the engine undertray. Remove drain plug, it's located at the rear of the transmission case, can't miss it. It takes either a 17 or 19mm wrench, I don't remember which. While it is draining, remove the fill plug as indicated in the picture. The two plugs are identical. When it's empty, put the drain plug back in, nice and snug. If you are anal, get replacement washers from the dealer, but it really isn't necessary.

Install a funnel from the top of the engine bay into the fill hole. You need a funnel that has a long skinny tube that can be bent at 90 degrees. The other picture shows what I used.

The right way is to put the car down level and fill until it spills out the hole. It should take 2.7 quarts. I got lazy and left it up on the ramps and just dumped 2 plus most of a third quart. The level is not that critical and that was much easier and a lot less messy. Put the plug in, put the tray back on the bottom and you're almost done.

Recycle the old oil. Now you're done.

Attachments

• P1050176 (Small).JPG
    P1050176 (Small).JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 390
  • P1050314 (Small).JPG
    P1050314 (Small).JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 282
I'd advise removing the fill plug before you pull the drain plug. If you remove the drain plug first and then find you can't get the fill plug out you are screwed. It doesn't happen too often, but it CAN happen.

i just posted my how to for this about 1.5 seconds ago.

and R.E. removing fill before drain: it is a good idea to make sure you can get the fill off, but i prefer leaving this on when you open the drain. that way the oil drains in a more controlled manor, rather than shooting out real quick and getting your lower control arm wet.

Back