Materials and Features

:
SOLD 2002 Protege5; Current 2008 CX-9 Grand Touring
Hi, all.

We'll be looking to trade in my Protege5 for a CX-9 at some point, but noticed on the one in the showroom that the leather seating materials in the CX-9 is a very rough and grainy leather. The brochure also shows this? Was there anyone else who noticed this prior to buying the car? When you compare to an Acura MDX, Lexus, or BMW, the leather is definitely more VW grade.

- ZoomFive

The texture of leather has to do with the type of hyde it comes from, and how it is prepared. The grade quality of leather isn't readily apparrent just from texture, unless you're comparing two identical pieces.

Good to know that it is not necessarily quality related. However, the hide and prep are certainly not as soft or smooth as in some competitors. Great car, but to me it puts me off just a tad.

For close to 40 large, I was also hoping for a more supple/finer hide, better stereo (one close to that of the MDX), key memory for mirror/seat/steering wheel/HVAC settings, thicker carpeting/mats, and more adjustability in the passenger seat.

That said, there is no denying that the vehicle performs and looks better than the more humble Pilot or the new Highlander.

I guess it is the best set of compromises based on my needs. I am going to see if my wife can get s-plan first and if not, start negotiating on the purchase.

Thanks for the feedback.

- ZoomFive

I also preferred tougher leather. The softer ones may not last as long. While I may not be comparing apples to apples, my almost 5 yr-old X5 leather looks tougher and grainy, but it survived milk, food spillage etc, everything a 3 yr-old could throw at it. On the other hand my sofa comes with softer leather, it's less than two years old, I already see some discoloration, because the softer leather doesn't hold up to pants on and off the sofa.

Bottomline, I like the CX-9 leather the way it is, I just hope it's not two tones. While I prefer the lighter color because of less visible dirt, heat and discoloration, the black one looks better on eyes (not very obvious two tones), don't you think?

I also preferred tougher leather. The softer ones may not last as long. While I may not be comparing apples to apples, my almost 5 yr-old X5 leather looks tougher and grainy, but it survived milk, food spillage etc, everything a 3 yr-old could throw at it. On the other hand my sofa comes with softer leather, it's less than two years old, I already see some discoloration, because the softer leather doesn't hold up to pants on and off the sofa.

Bottomline, I like the CX-9 leather the way it is, I just hope it's not two tones. While I prefer the lighter color because of less visible dirt, heat and discoloration, the black one looks better on eyes (not very obvious two tones), don't you think?

I test drive one today and spent more time with it. I see that the grainy leather was used on the sides, not in the center. That said, I have a BMW as well and know what you mean.

I like the leather

We have the 08 GT AWD and just got back from a 700 mile trip. Never noticed a problem with the quality of the leather. It appears to be on par with the leather that was in our Infiniti QX 56. It doesnt appear to be rough to me, it actually feels rather supple. About the only thing I noticed was that the seats do have rather thinnish padding, but not uncomfortable at all.(drive2)

We traded in our Protege5 for a CX9 GT AWD. Could not complain about the leather. It is not a German luxury car so there is no point comparing materials between the two.

We traded in our Protege5 for a CX9 GT AWD. Could not complain about the leather. It is not a German luxury car so there is no point comparing materials between the two.

After I test drove the CX-9, I drive home in my manual P5 with the short shifter. I said to myself, however much I bitched about the P5 being a slug, it was engaging and that I did not feel all that engaged in the CX-9. I guess it is just how crossovers feel compared to sport/sporty cars. I am going to miss some aspects of the P5.

How about you? Moved on or missing the P5?

After I test drove the CX-9, I drive home in my manual P5 with the short shifter. I said to myself, however much I bitched about the P5 being a slug, it was engaging and that I did not feel all that engaged in the CX-9. I guess it is just how crossovers feel compared to sport/sporty cars. I am going to miss some aspects of the P5.

I don't miss our P5 one single bit. My eldest has grown over the past 4 years, and got an 11 month old baby. We purchased our Legacy wagon to be our family hauler but my sister moved in with us so we instantly became a tight fit in the Legacy and like sardines in the P5.

With the CX9, everyone sits comfortably even on long trips. Yes, it is nowhere near a sports car in terms on handling but that is not a fair comparison. If you compare to a SUV though, especially truck based ones, you will realize how much car-like handling the CX9 has. I was surprised myself and I am coming from a Legacy on Bilstein+STi pink springs combo.

Zoom Zoom

Yeah well I bet its grainy/tough so you don't get those wrinkles that happen with soft leather, my friends magnum SRT8 has suede insides and leather bolstering and after 5000 miles the leather is wrinkling, its very smooth/soft.
I test drive one today and spent more time with it. I see that the grainy leather was used on the sides, not in the center. That said, I have a BMW as well and know what you mean.

For close to 40 large, I was also hoping for a more supple/finer hide, better stereo (one close to that of the MDX), key memory for mirror/seat/steering wheel/HVAC settings, thicker carpeting/mats, and more adjustability in the passenger seat.
- ZoomFive

Honestly, if you're looking for such features, your best (and only) option in this price range is a Hyundai Veracruz.

CX-9 is definitely no luxo-cruizer. It is a SUV that can outhandle and outrun numerous sports sedans.

Honestly, if you're looking for such features, your best (and only) option in this price range is a Hyundai Veracruz.

CX-9 is definitely no luxo-cruizer. It is a SUV that can outhandle and outrun numerous sports sedans.

I know... it's just the way that the dealerships are trying to sell me on the car that pisses me off. They market this as a replacement vehicle for Lexus, Acura, and BMW. I continue to respond that their dealer network is not apples to apples nor are all the features at the same level. That said, it is a nice car, but I agree that is no luxo cruiser.

I am tempted to go with a lower model so that I can keep it to Honda Pilot cost levels with the greater fun factor, slightly larger volume, and fresher style. At 40 large, I expect a little more. Although, not one of their trucks, you can buy MB, BMW, or Lexus, and get 1 year more warranty, 4 years BMW paid maintenance, loaner cars, etc.

So for me, getting the car at a lower price would make it more palletable. We'll see.

- ZoomFive

Well Zoomfive I guess your dealer network is not great, mine is very great, loaners if you call in the appointment, flat screen TV's, fresh free coffee(like this dispenser with all kinds of coffee), nice service advisor's, free phone calls, play area for the kids, shopping area, car rental desk, leather seats. Very nice.

How do you compare the ride of a 2700lbs economy car to a 4600lbs CUV? Of course it feels different. I remember when the Mazda 3 first came out lots of Protege owners were saying they couldn't "feel" the road like their Protege. But the reality is that the extra "comfort" that the 3 provides over the Protege sells more cars in this day and age. The other fact is that whether it feels like it or not the 3 out handles/performs the Protege by a substancial amount and its alot more comfortable doing so.

Of course the CX-9 feels more isolated and the steering doesn't "feel" as responsive as your P5, but its 18" longer and weighs 2000lbs more. If life now dictates you need a vehicle like the CX-9 you won't find a more enjoyable one to drive for the money, so enjoy!!(drinks)

I know... it's just the way that the dealerships are trying to sell me on the car that pisses me off. They market this as a replacement vehicle for Lexus, Acura, and BMW. I continue to respond that their dealer network is not apples to apples nor are all the features at the same level. That said, it is a nice car, but I agree that is no luxo cruiser.

I am tempted to go with a lower model so that I can keep it to Honda Pilot cost levels with the greater fun factor, slightly larger volume, and fresher style. At 40 large, I expect a little more. Although, not one of their trucks, you can buy MB, BMW, or Lexus, and get 1 year more warranty, 4 years BMW paid maintenance, loaner cars, etc.

So for me, getting the car at a lower price would make it more palletable. We'll see.

- ZoomFive
Comparing an 08 Pilot to 08 CX-9, you should take the top of the line EX-L and compare it with CX-9 Touring trim. Include the low 1.9% financing to substract atleast $2k in interest savings. You'll see that the CX-9 comes lower price and still offers a few more things like 18" wheels, LED taillights, more HP/TQ, etc.

The GT trim actually puts the CX-9 into "luxury" territory with 20" rims, 2-tone leather, HID headlights, sideview mirror lights, rainsensing wipers, blind spot system, etc and therefore, it should not be compared to even the top of the line EX-L Pilot.

If life now dictates you need a vehicle like the CX-9 you won't find a more enjoyable one to drive for the money, so enjoy!!(drinks)
(iagree)
The only thing that I felt faster was the Acura MDX but the "fun-to-drive"/"sporty" factor felt the same between the MDX and CX-9. I was even dissappointed with the new BMW X5 (V6).

Back