yes, i'm modding the miniminivan :)

Attachments

• mazda5thunder.JPG
    mazda5thunder.JPG
    270.8 KB · Views: 1,036
  • mazda5thundertop.JPG
    mazda5thundertop.JPG
    289.9 KB · Views: 914
they are longer than the obx primaries even at that length if you can believe that!

they are longer than the obx primaries even at that length if you can believe that!

Crazy!

I assume in that case, that they generate the majority of their power through flow? not actually scavenging? assuming that they are as long as they look (not long at all) you couldn't expect a scavenging wave of any decent strength until up near F1 rpm!

looks cool though
i love the "backwards" engines that everyone is using these days... headers up the back, intake in the front - baffles me why they never did this in the first place!

How much, where from, how loud, and how long before the first CEL? There, I think that covers all my questions. Looks awesome, unfortunately only you will see it during oil changes. What sort of exhaust did you hook it up to? By that I mean, custom, or ready made?

its bolted to the stock exhaust. a CEL came on today, which is surprising seeing as the o2 sensor has cel trick on it. i have to scan it to make sure it is actually for the o2 sensor though.

i got it from forum member protephile and will try and list it on the site soon

Made for the 5, or procured from the Mazda3? How's the gain?

it is a mazda3 header. gains are very nice up top when you are putting your foot into it. now i need a pulley :D

Yes, it's the Mazda 3 header that I sell. Ken is only the second 5 owner with one.
Ken, lemme know what the code is.

Is there a 4-2-1 in the offing by any chance? 4-1 is better on automatics as I understand it. How doe's it sound bolted up to the factory exhaust, any buzzing or other funky resonances from the differences in tube thickness?

it sounds stock for the most part. if the intake were not on the car you would not be able to tell it was there.

i will check the code today.

the code was for O2 slow to respond bank 1 sensor 2

The install on it was fairly easy it took roughly an hour and a half if you do it straight through and don't try to remove the old part as a whole unit.

Looks nice. I wish I could afford a Thunder header, or an after market header in general, for my P5.

Are you planning to complete the exhaust system later or was this just a test case to see if the headers reallly were compatible? I would love to do my entire system but don't want to sound like all the other fart cannon cars out there. Maybe a Magnaflo or Borla turbo-style muffler instead of a canister would give me the subdued sound I'm after......

i have modified a Mazdaspeed3 OEM exhaust system to fit the 5. when i can i will get clips up. its MEAN sounding.

its a "secondary o2 sensor slow response" code so i will either add a resistor to the wire or cut the extension thunder puts on the header and move it closer.

Back