Buying an '08 and some worries

szoom1

Hey guys,

I've been reading up and appreciate all the information you've provided here in posts. I live in Central FL and after test driving the CX9 and a bunch of the competition I've definitely decided on it (Mazda has made it an easy choice). I'm interested in a '08 Brilliant Black on Sand w/ GT Assist Package, Rear Entertainment Package primarily. I'd also like the Remote Engine Start, is that option able to be installed as accessories or must they come pre-installed/ordered from the factory with it?

There seems to be some ambiguity in the wording for the rain sensor. From reading the features of the GT trim it looks as though rain sensing wipers come standard. Yet one of the options mentions a rain sensor cover. (included with the Auto-Dimming Mirror w/Rain Sensor Cover, Compass and Homelink option) What is this? Am I correct about Rain Sensing coming standard on the GT trim? And is this mirror/compass/sensor cover option able to be installed as an accessory or must it come from the factory?

It looks like with the Assist Package, Rear Ent Package and Remote start I'm at $39,360 MSRP, $36,069 Invoice. Unfortunately I don't know anyone or work at the right places so I cannot qualify for S-pricing. I believe I'm going to go for a 36/mo lease (I like the smaller payments, zero down and ability to re-buy in 3 years) and was wondering your expert opinions on what is a fair price per month I should expect the dealer to provide? I'd love to end up with payments under $500/mo but that may not be possible since I'm getting an '08. I also have a trade in but it only has about $1000-2000 equity. (KBB trade in value minus owed)

Thanks again, sorry for long post! Hopefully will become a regular member around here with you guys. (peep)

Hey guys,

I've been reading up and appreciate all the information you've provided here in posts. I live in Central FL and after test driving the CX9 and a bunch of the competition I've definitely decided on it (Mazda has made it an easy choice). I'm interested in a '08 Brilliant Black on Sand w/ GT Assist Package, Rear Entertainment Package primarily. I'd also like the Remote Engine Start, is that option able to be installed as accessories or must they come pre-installed/ordered from the factory with it?

There seems to be some ambiguity in the wording for the rain sensor. From reading the features of the GT trim it looks as though rain sensing wipers come standard. Yet one of the options mentions a rain sensor cover. (included with the Auto-Dimming Mirror w/Rain Sensor Cover, Compass and Homelink option) What is this? Am I correct about Rain Sensing coming standard on the GT trim? And is this mirror/compass/sensor cover option able to be installed as an accessory or must it come from the factory?

It looks like with the Assist Package, Rear Ent Package and Remote start I'm at $39,360 MSRP, $36,069 Invoice. Unfortunately I don't know anyone or work at the right places so I cannot qualify for S-pricing. I believe I'm going to go for a 36/mo lease (I like the smaller payments, zero down and ability to re-buy in 3 years) and was wondering your expert opinions on what is a fair price per month I should expect the dealer to provide? I'd love to end up with payments under $500/mo but that may not be possible since I'm getting an '08. I also have a trade in but it only has about $1000-2000 equity. (KBB trade in value minus owed)

Thanks again, sorry for long post! Hopefully will become a regular member around here with you guys. (peep)

The remote start option is shown in the 08 brochure as an item that can be installed by the dealer. The downside with all "dealer installed options" is they cost more than if it came from the factory. Regarding the mirror, I think that a rain sensor is built into the "standard mirror" on the GT so when you add the auto dim mirror w/homelink on the GT the mirror has a special cover on it so it will still detect when it is raining. As far as the price I think a good deal is invoice or up to $500 over. You can go to bankrate.com and use their auto calculator to figure out your monthly payments. Hope this helps.

Really $500 above invoice on the new 08's?? Seems like it would be a great deal for me but pretty crappy for the dealer. Do they get some kickbacks that I don't know about? I'm all for negotiating a good deal but its blowing my mind a bit that a dealer would actually offer $500 above invoice. If thats typical though it'd be worth talking to a few dealers since the first one I spoke to seems to want to stick pretty close to MSRP.

Thanks for the info on the remote start and mirror upgrade.

Really $500 above invoice on the new 08's?? Seems like it would be a great deal for me but pretty crappy for the dealer. Do they get some kickbacks that I don't know about? I'm all for negotiating a good deal but its blowing my mind a bit that a dealer would actually offer $500 above invoice. If thats typical though it'd be worth talking to a few dealers since the first one I spoke to seems to want to stick pretty close to MSRP.

Thanks for the info on the remote start and mirror upgrade.

Their is a holdback to the dealer from the manufacturer. I ordered an 08 and my deal is $500 over invoice. Others on this forum have also been able to get some pretty good deals on the 08's.

I also live in Central Florida. I wasn't able to work with any of the dealers in this area (Ocala, Gainesville) so I found my GT AWD in Indianapolis on the Mazda internet locator. I flew up, the dealer picked me up at the airport and after 45 minutes of checkout, I was headed back to Florida with a Galaxy Gray CX-9 GT AWD decked out exactly like I wanted. My vehicle listed at $39,650 and I bought it for $36,500. I spent $90 on an airline ticket.

The car is fantastic! The rain sensor is standard on the GT. It works great! The Homelink mirror is invaluable. I have two electric pasture gates and a garage door. It works like a charm. Love the Bluetooth, still learning the NAV system. Be careful if you opt for the remote start installed from the dealer. Some of them have been using aftermarket kits and not the same unit that comes from the factory. Enjoy your new ride! We love ours!

Wow about $200 above invoice? Very nice. Thats disappointing about dealers in our area, I'm also thinking of branching out to Tampa/Daytona areas if needed. Hell, anywhere in FL is OK in my book but Indianapolis I do not think I'm up for haha. I can't seem to find any Mazda internet locater except on the official mazdausa.com website but they won't let you search for 2008's (why?!) so I've been trying to scour the individual dealer websites which takes longer.

Great info on the dealer holdback, do you know how much it is? Will begin the negotiations next week and post my findings and what dealer I ended up getting a solid deal from in FL.

If anyone knows of a dealer that will do around $500 above invoice in FL please let me know and I'll go directly there!

Wow about $200 above invoice? Very nice. Thats disappointing about dealers in our area, I'm also thinking of branching out to Tampa/Daytona areas if needed. Hell, anywhere in FL is OK in my book but Indianapolis I do not think I'm up for haha. I can't seem to find any Mazda internet locater except on the official mazdausa.com website but they won't let you search for 2008's (why?!) so I've been trying to scour the individual dealer websites which takes longer.

Great info on the dealer holdback, do you know how much it is? Will begin the negotiations next week and post my findings and what dealer I ended up getting a solid deal from in FL.

If anyone knows of a dealer that will do around $500 above invoice in FL please let me know and I'll go directly there!

Here is a chart to look at: http://www.safecarguide.com/gui/neg/holdback.htm

I am not sure but I think that the dealer hold back is usually around 750.00. I also learned that what we are led to believe is the "Dealer Invoice" is not the actual "Invoice" or the actual amount the car cost the dealer. The whole "Invoice" thing is negotiating tool that has been developed over the years. I got an 07 GT AWD with GT Assist, tow, moonroof/bose and roof rack for under 500/month on a 36 month lease with 2600 out of pocket. You really have to work the dealer and don"t be afraid to shop around!

If you are considering options that are both dealer installed or factory available I would recommend getting from the factory...Dealers often screw up the install or use aftermarket accessories.

Good Luck

Very informative on dealer holdback. Thanks for the information.

Do you know if a dealer receives holdback on a car that is special ordered from the factory

Great info there thanks again RK. Golfer from reading the article at that link it looks like special order they DO get the holdback and they get all of it since the car is purchased by you immediately. So that seems like a nice positive for special order for the dealer.

As far as getting an '08, do you guys think it's easier to negotiate a low price on a special order or something that is on the lot??

Great info there thanks again RK. Golfer from reading the article at that link it looks like special order they DO get the holdback and they get all of it since the car is purchased by you immediately. So that seems like a nice positive for special order for the dealer.

As far as getting an '08, do you guys think it's easier to negotiate a low price on a special order or something that is on the lot??

I don't know if I would say easier, but I am sure the dealership would rather sell you a vehicle that they have in inventory because they have money invested in the vehicle, plus they can make the sale right away. I ordered mine and my deal is $500 over invoice (M.S.R.P. $41,750 and my price will be $38,648. It is suppose to be built in October and delivered in December.

I went with my father to the dealership in north San Diego and they wanted $1000 over invoice for a 08 GT. So we walked, which is a shame because he really likes the car. He would've bought it at $500 over invoice, but they wanted none of that. I was actually surprised that they wouldn't budge (probably due to the 07's still on the lot). Oh well...we're going to try the suby dealership for an 08 Tribeca in the morning.

I went with my father to the dealership in north San Diego and they wanted $1000 over invoice for a 08 GT. So we walked, which is a shame because he really likes the car. He would've bought it at $500 over invoice, but they wanted none of that. I was actually surprised that they wouldn't budge (probably due to the 07's still on the lot). Oh well...we're going to try the suby dealership for an 08 Tribeca in the morning.

Don't give up, in the SD market (LA not far) must be tons of dealers you could stop by... someone will give you $500 above invoice if you just shop around a bit. I've driven the '08 Tribeca and it is not close to the car (performace/features/styling) as the CX9. I'm not going to give up until I find a dealer that will do $500-ish above invoice!

they gave my dad a call back this morning and offered 750 over invoice. he took it.

we were at the suby dealership when they called and the more i looked at the tribeca, the more i liked the cx-9. the interior is way classier in the mazda. he's ending up with a 08 grand touring with nav, no dvd, with the sand interior.

i must say that it's really nice. i'm not one for crossovers as i'd rather have a minivan to haul my family around in. but i was very impressed with this.

Yah the (center radio area) style of the Tribeca was just horrible I thought personally and it just looks so much cheaper. Not to mention the third row isn't as functional as the CX9. Speaking of non-functional third rows, the Volvo is the worst of a bunch we test drove, it's so tiny it's really just a joke.

i didn't mind the design so much as it was the materials. the plastic just looked so cheap.

they picked it up this afternoon, fresh off the delivery truck and they're now taking it on it's first road trip. san diego to san francisco. i may have to borrow it next summer on when i take my family to lake tahoe.

Back