Think we can swap our AT gearboxes for the 08 5 speed AT?

kyoshiro

:
Mazda 5
anyone think itll be possible? its prob just a single component that needs changing, our dashes do support more numbers :D

anyone think itll be possible? its prob just a single component that needs changing, our dashes do support more numbers :D

Will probably involve an ECU upgrade as well....May not be cost justifiable when all is said and done..
Anthony

Everything is possible, if your bank account is bottomless.

But it wouldn't add any value to your car and you'd spend more than the price difference between your current trade in value and the price of a new 2008.

So if you really want that transmission, trade your old car in for a new one.

more than likely, it'll have a separate TCU like they did with the 3 when it started having the 5 speed auto... so no, it's NOT exactly bolt on!

forget it, trade it in for a 5 speed anything if you want it so bad

come on people, is it REALLY that bad having a four speed AT? i don't have a problem with mine and like the way it shifts better than my wifes 5AT mazda3. hell i learned to drive on a rusty van with 3 speed automatic. since then i have only had manual transmission cars so having 4 speed AT is like an upgrade to me :)

hehe, for 1 thing tho is that im looking forward to put in some performance parts in my 5 once i actually have some cash in hand to do it

Just wait, it might be that the 5 speed is considered to be inferior.

Drift ahead 20 years and picture this scene from the Barrett Jackson auction:

"Folks, what we have here is a very rare 2006 Mazda5. This is an outstanding example with the coveted 4 speed AT. In 2008, Mazda went with a 5 speed, which is universally accepted to be less desirable. Who ever bids on this one is getting a cream puff..."

Just wait, it might be that the 5 speed is considered to be inferior.

That's a good point. I don't know much about Mazdas. Is the 5 speed AT they are putting in the 5 completely new or is it currently being used in a different model?

id say theyre transfering the one from the sport 3 over

I would agree with this assumption. Can't see them building a new 5-spd for the Mazda5.
Granted that the shift points (TCM) may be different for the '5' vs the '3' given the differences in vehicle weight.
Anthony

It sure would be nice for fuel economy's sake. I had a new 4cyl Mazda6 loaner while my 5 was in the shop.
The 6 had a 5 speed auto that would turn about 2500 rpm @ 80ish mph...sure wish the 5 could do that!

2798 RPM at 80 MPH w/ .692 (top gear), 3.863 (final drive) and 205/60-16 tires.

20% reduction in RPM will probably increase 2-3 MPG hwy.

Last edited:
i like the sound of revving motors

Then I wouldn't spend a cent on 5AT. Keep the 4AT and ride the MZ5 on manual mode (2nd gear) at ~70MPH :eek:. At that speed and gear I think the engine is already revving a little ;)

...and you have an 07, so no worries, it won't catch fire, LOL.

LOL
i shift gear at like 4k-5k rpms so usually in city, i reach to 3rd gear and zomg i cant go up a gear anymore cuz of traffic

Latest posts

Back