DIY Intercooler Sprayer

Igve2shtz

:
2006 Speed6
So, I am cheap, and refuse to spend 300 bucks on something that sprays water, so, after viewing a post on a WRX forum, I decided to build my own intercooler sprayer using mostly parts I had laying around.

This whole project started as a concept/boredom, so the execution is rather crude, but I just wanted to prove the concept before I went around making it fancy.

Parts list:
3/16" PVC tubing
Windshield Washer Pump
1/2 Gallon Milk Jug
Wire, Wire Ties, 1 switch
Irrigation spray nozzles

DSC00989.jpg

This cost me 10 bucks for the spray nozzles and the PVC tubing. If I didnt have all the other stuff laying around, it might cost a total of $30.

Procedure:
Remove intercooler cover.
Run PVC tubing along intercooler cover, wire tie in place.
Drill hole in milk jug on the side, somewhere near the bottom.
Install rubber grommet (comes with the pump). Install pump.
Reinstall intercooler cover.
Run tube from intercooler to pump.
Run power and ground wires. Install switch somewhere in cabin.
Drill small hole in tubing. Install irrigation sprayers.
Done.

Pics:
DSC00990.jpg

These nozzles can be found in Lowes, in the plumbing section.
DSC00991.jpg

DSC00993.jpg

DSC00994.jpg

I will prob spraypaint the reservoir black to blend it in better, as well as make a better mount for it.

DSC00995.jpg

Outcome:
I know it isnt as good as a true intercooler sprayer, but 300 dollars can buy me more performance with methonal injection. I made this to spray the intercooler between runs at the dragstrip. I do not have dyno, nor track times to demonstrate if this even helps. I can tell you that after driving my car hard, I pulled into the driveway and shut off the car. I raised the hood, and put my hand on the intercooler, and nearly burned it. I then closed the hood, sprayed 3 quick squirts, opened the hood again, and could rest my hand on the intercooler, no problems. So it does work somewhat.

Note: I chose to run a complete closed loop system, IE, I ran a line from the pump, to the intercooler, then back into the reservoir. This allowed me to lower the flow rate going through the sprayers, without installing a control valve. Contrary to popular belief, more water does not mean better cooling. The object is to atomize the water, creating more surface area for the heat to come in contact with, and then vaporize the water. When the water vaporizes, it removes heat from surrounding areas.

Enjoy all.

Last edited:
Good write up..but there is something that worries me about water dripping down to where the coil packs are..maybe if a tray could be made under IC to protect coil packs.

-C(stoned)

nice work... I just did a DIY sprayer for my MSPs side mount...i just used my existing windshield sprayer system and mounted the sprayers behind my grill so they would spray the side-mount. I just got a CF hood that has no holes for the sprayers to mount to...i figured id rather have some function then just waste them.

hmm i may give this a try.. i have a front mount intercooler so i dunno how good it will work but every little bit helps.

Good write up..but there is something that worries me about water dripping down to where the coil packs are..maybe if a tray could be made under IC to protect coil packs.

-C(stoned)

Unfortunatly, installing a tray would only serve to decrease the efficiency of the intercooler by robbing it of airflow.

I thought the same thing when I was hooking this up. There are two so-called "fixes" I came up with.
1.) I only use it when the engine and intercooler are HOT, thus vaporizing most water before it has a chance to sit in the valve cover
2.) I only squirt in short bursts. I do not leave the sprayer running. The flow rate is also low enough to stay in the clear.

Basically, I dont think there is any more water at one time, than someone might see while driving through a rain storm, or carwash. I just hope I dont live to regret saying that statement.(hand)

I think I am going to try to upgrade to a new intercooler sprayer using a spare Honda fuel rail and injectors I have laying around. Ill let you know how that works when it becomes a reality.

hmm i may give this a try.. i have a front mount intercooler so i dunno how good it will work but every little bit helps.

I doubt this would help out too much with a front mount. This is just a way for me to alleviate some issues of heatsoak.

My friend has a WRX and when he goes to the track he just sits a bag of ice on the intercooler between runs.

One piece of advice....if you get hard stuttering and a CEL during acceleration one day, remove all the spray equipment before you take it to the dealer (if that's what you do). They made a record on my last service order that my coilpack failures were due to water. My service writer was unaware of the direct path from the nose to the intercooler until I showed it to him after my 2nd coilpack replacement. I also made Mazda aware of the problem when they called me for a dealer survey.

Would it be that difficult to make waterproof coilpacks? I've never had this problem with any other car.

Anyway, be careful with this.

I think I am going to try to upgrade to a new intercooler sprayer using a spare Honda fuel rail and injectors I have laying around. Ill let you know how that works when it becomes a reality.

Wanna elaborate on this idea. I have a spare 240sx fuel rail and injectors sitting around.

I take it the nozzles you use spray and not drip the water?

One piece of advice....if you get hard stuttering and a CEL during acceleration one day, remove all the spray equipment before you take it to the dealer (if that's what you do). They made a record on my last service order that my coilpack failures were due to water. My service writer was unaware of the direct path from the nose to the intercooler until I showed it to him after my 2nd coilpack replacement. I also made Mazda aware of the problem when they called me for a dealer survey.

Would it be that difficult to make waterproof coilpacks? I've never had this problem with any other car.

Anyway, be careful with this.

Thanks for the advice. I am really starting to regret this now, but luckily, it is completly removable just bu cutting 6 wireties, so I am set. Thanks again.

Thanks for the advice. I am really starting to regret this now, but luckily, it is completly removable just bu cutting 6 wireties, so I am set. Thanks again.

why the regret? afraid its going to cause more harm then good?

Back