Anybody Modded Tailights?

r0nd3L

The thing I really hate about CX-9 is those chrome tailights, they're just not my thing. I was thinking of taking them apart and painting the chrome parts flat black. Another option is to put some smoked vinyl on the tailights, but I'm not sure how good would that look.

So, has anybody done anything to their tails?

i saw some guy on nasioc take a dremel and cut apart his 06 tailights to paint the chrome portion black. seems like a very risky mod, unlike baking headlights.

Last edited:
Take em off and toss them in the oven. 200 degrees for about 15 mins. keep your eye on them. You should be able to pull them apart. Once they are open, you can do whatever you wish! (lol2)

Lamin-x has cut-outs for CX-9

Recently I covered my CX-9 tailights with lamin-x smoked film. Here is the picture.

I will be putting the film on the headlamps and the fog lamps. I got the clear for the headlamps and the yellow film for the fog lamps. I will post the picture when I am done. The fog lamps may take a while as the installation requires the removal of the bumper cover.

Attachments

• Smoked Lens (Medium).JPG
    Smoked Lens (Medium).JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 727
Recently I covered my CX-9 tailights with lamin-x smoked film. Here is the picture.

I will be putting the film on the headlamps and the fog lamps. I got the clear for the headlamps and the yellow film for the fog lamps. I will post the picture when I am done. The fog lamps may take a while as the installation requires the removal of the bumper cover.

I am patiently waiting to see how these would look. Please keep us updated!(naughty)

i can talk to andy at bluebatmobile.net to see if he can do anything for you tailight wise as well...

lemme know.

he can do all sorts of stuff for your lights, red outs, smoked, different cutouts for the individual lights in the tailights.

Does anybody have a DIY or how-to of how to convert the turn signals, back-up lights and license plate lights to LEDs?

I think it would be a good idea if someone with the smarts put together a 'kit' with the LEDs and the proper resistors and sold them (with a nice mark up for time and effort involved) to the members. I know I would buy them.

Anyone know why they dont just make the LED replacements with the proper load already built in? They must know the turn signal relay requires a certain load to operate correctly.

Did you tint your windows too? - It looks nice and dark from the back. I have 09 CX-9 GT but I think that the rear windows tint is not as dark as any other SUV on the road. My previous car (01 Pathfinder, had much darker tint on rear windows). Is it me or is it the tint on the CX-9 really light?

You can get everything you need here:

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/commerce.cgi?product=CAR

Order the following:
2 of the 1156-xLX3 Luxeon LED bulbs in Amber ($23.95 ea)
2 of the 7440-xLX3 Luxeon LED bulbs in Amber ($24.95 ea)
4 of the RL-650 Tail Light Load Resistor kits ($4.95 ea)

Could you please explain, which bulb goes where (why 4 amber LEDs)
Also, does it require any retro-fitting of the existing rear light assembly or is it direct plug and play? Finally what is the purpose of the resistor and where does it get installed. Did you do any of the light mods yourself - if so could you post some pics? I would love to see them. Thanks in advance for all the info.

Back