CX-9 Rear "clunk" sound

romclean

:
CX-9
07' CX-9 GT - I've had it for about a month, but not really driven it much, it's got about 460 miles. This past weekend, after taking it for a longer trip about an hour or so, it developed a "clunk" sound coming from the rear end, when pulling away from a stop light. The sound is heard inside and you can feel the thump coming up thru the seat. It certainly feels as if it's coming from the rear. There appears to be several rapid clunks (as if you were driving over several pavement seams) just as you pull away, followed by perhaps two or three additional 'clunks'. Strangely the problem is amplified when turning at the same time. Curious if anyone else has noticed this, the mechanic at Mazda had never seen/heard it before...

So far I like the CX-9 overall - only complaints so far..
Navi - locked out when moving.. that's a whole topic by itself :)
Homelink... umm 40K and it didn't have Homelink.

07' CX-9 GT - I've had it for about a month, but not really driven it much, it's got about 460 miles. This past weekend, after taking it for a longer trip about an hour or so, it developed a "clunk" sound coming from the rear end, when pulling away from a stop light. The sound is heard inside and you can feel the thump coming up thru the seat. It certainly feels as if it's coming from the rear. There appears to be several rapid clunks (as if you were driving over several pavement seams) just as you pull away, followed by perhaps two or three additional 'clunks'. Strangely the problem is amplified when turning at the same time. Curious if anyone else has noticed this, the mechanic at Mazda had never seen/heard it before...

So far I like the CX-9 overall - only complaints so far..
Navi - locked out when moving.. that's a whole topic by itself :)
Homelink... umm 40K and it didn't have Homelink.

The nav system in my Nissan Murano will only allow you to do a few things when the vehicle is moving. It is a safety feature.

As for the homelink....The 07 Acura MDX (as much as $48,000) didn't include the homelink as standard equipment either.

The nav system in my Nissan Murano will only allow you to do a few things when the vehicle is moving. It is a safety feature.

As for the homelink....The 07 Acura MDX (as much as $48,000) didn't include the homelink as standard equipment either.

I think the Navi issue has been discussed in a few other places here, but I've had 3 vehicles with factory Navi, none of them had this limitation. All of them had waiver screens, but after hitting the accept button, there were no limitations. Certainly entering an address can be distracting, but pulling over can be just as dangerous - and if there is a passenger, why limit them from using the system in motion. I hope the mod kings figure this one out !

Homelink - this is just basic equipment today, all of my other vehicles have had it for I'd say the past 5-6 years, currently I've got an MDX, a VW Touareg, and on my 3rd Chevy Trailblazer, I never thought of adding Homelink as an option - hey all had it. Maybe I've just been lucky.

Update - the dealer called back, they kept the CX-9, ordered some parts and will try to install them tomorrow. They didn't have details as to what the problem was or the parts that were ordered, I'll let you know. Also having the Auto-lock enabled.

"Clunk removed"

Well the dealer had to replace the rear differential assembly which they had overnighted and installed this afternoon. The "clunk" is gone, and I have to say I'm happy with the service. It has been returned to it's super smooth operation. I am a bit concerned that such a major drive train component required replacement at <500 miles. Hopefully not a preview of things to come.

For those interested the part replaced was

1 MA28-27-020C Driving & Diff.

They also tweaked the auto lock setting while they had it, great feature.

I think the Navi issue has been discussed in a few other places here, but I've had 3 vehicles with factory Navi, none of them had this limitation. All of them had waiver screens, but after hitting the accept button, there were no limitations. Certainly entering an address can be distracting, but pulling over can be just as dangerous - and if there is a passenger, why limit them from using the system in motion. I hope the mod kings figure this one out !

Homelink - this is just basic equipment today, all of my other vehicles have had it for I'd say the past 5-6 years, currently I've got an MDX, a VW Touareg, and on my 3rd Chevy Trailblazer, I never thought of adding Homelink as an option - hey all had it. Maybe I've just been lucky.

Update - the dealer called back, they kept the CX-9, ordered some parts and will try to install them tomorrow. They didn't have details as to what the problem was or the parts that were ordered, I'll let you know. Also having the Auto-lock enabled.

It's good to hear your problem was resolved. My nav on the Murano will not allow you to enter any addresses while the vehicle is moving. And it will only allow you to see the first 5 addresses in the address book. You can access things such as detour, quick stops (gas, atm etc...) If you are trying to type at a red light/stop sign as soon as the vehicle starts to move the screens go black and it will be and show the warning "this feature is disable while the vehicle is in motion".

Last edited:
Same experience at about 27K miles

I had the same thing, but it happened over a weekend and then was gone by Monday, so there was nothing to show the dealer. A month later, I was up in the mountains and found that my AWD was gone, and had to be pulled out. They have had the car since Tuesday (It is now Sunday), and told me on Friday they thing it was the electronics, but were waiting to hear from Tech support. Hope they can get this fixed. Good you got it fixed before you needed it.
07 Touring

Back