After market trailer hitch

tidriver

:
Mazda CX-9 GT AWD
Has anyone added a trailer hitch to their CX-9?
If so, can you share with me where you got it and how much it was?

Click on This Thread

You guys who've installed hitches... what base model do you have? We bought a CX-9 sport package and want to hitch it. The towing packages only come on the Touring and Grand Touring packages and include ECM remap, rad/trans fans/coolers. Is there something suspension wise that separates the Sport from the touring/Gt? Thanks!

I have a brand new original MAZDA CX-9 hitch (Part# 0000-8E-N01), that I don't need anymore. I bought it because the stock "Trailer Hitch Wiring Kit" (Part# 0000-8E-M04) was not immediately available as a standalone item, only in a set with the hitch.
Send me a PM if you are interested. I live in southern Ontario.

did you buy that as part of the car or seperate as an accessory?
Separate accessory. I had to buy an OEM hitch too, just to get the wiring harness...:(((

Anybody interested to use the OEM hitch for bike attachment, or something else without electrical connections, PM me to make a deal.

I think Canada has a lot fewer lawyers than the US. I was told it was a liability issue. When the dealer calls up the part number it wont let them order one unless its a replacement for a factory installed hitch. (They check the VIN)

I think Canada has a lot fewer lawyers than the US.

In total numbers for sure, not per capita.

When the dealer calls up the part number it wont let them order one unless its a replacement for a factory installed hitch. (They check the VIN)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the hitch is a dealer install option and not available factory installed.

BTW the above dealer keeps quite a stock of various mazda hitches, so no order by VIN is necessary.

I plan on purchasing this one from Hidden Hitch. Per their web site site it's a very simple no-drill install--30 minutes.

http://www.hidden-hitch.com/prod.asp?pc=87438

Since I have no plans on towing anything (want it strictly for a bike rack), I have no concerns about wiring, cooling system upgrade, etc.

Here's a video of a CX-9 hitch install--damn simple.

http://www.etrailer.com/tv_hitch_install_mazda_mx-9_2008.aspx

Thanks Force1, I was wondering about the aftermarket install on the Sport. Great video!

This is what I ordered from etrailer.com from my 2007 CX-9 last May...

#75531 Draw-Tite Class III Round Tube Trailer Hitch Receiver @ $159.95.
#18176 Modulite Protector, Circuit Protected Vehicle Wiring Harness with 4 Pole Trailer Connector @ $49.95
18151 Modulite Installation Wiring Kit @ $9.95

I installed the hitch myself and no drilling is necessary. 6 bolts (3 per side) came with the hitch and it bolted right up to the existing holes in the frame. Then I took the wiring harness to the local U-Haul (on a recommendation from the dealer) and they hardwired it in for me. I think it cost $75 to have them do it. Even though I only plan to tow a canoe trailer or small sailboat out to the lake during the summer (should be less than the 2000 towing capacity w/o the trailering package) I think I may still get a trans cooler installed in the spring.

This is what I ordered from etrailer.com from my 2007 CX-9 last May...

#75531 Draw-Tite Class III Round Tube Trailer Hitch Receiver @ $159.95.
#18176 Modulite Protector, Circuit Protected Vehicle Wiring Harness with 4 Pole Trailer Connector @ $49.95
18151 Modulite Installation Wiring Kit @ $9.95

I installed the hitch myself and no drilling is necessary. 6 bolts (3 per side) came with the hitch and it bolted right up to the existing holes in the frame. Then I took the wiring harness to the local U-Haul (on a recommendation from the dealer) and they hardwired it in for me. I think it cost $75 to have them do it. Even though I only plan to tow a canoe trailer or small sailboat out to the lake during the summer (should be less than the 2000 towing capacity w/o the trailering package) I think I may still get a trans cooler installed in the spring.

Does the installed hitch have any affect on removing the spare tire?

Does the installed hitch have any affect on removing the spare tire?

No, but I found removing the spare prior to mounting the hitch made the installation considerably easier. I have attached the PDF of the installation instructions with torque settings. IMO they are well written, the key tip is in bullet 1 "..pointing the receiver tube down and rotating it into position..".

Once it was in position, I repositioned the spare without any problem

Attachments

• Tow Hitch Installation.pdf
    851.3 KB · Views: 531
I didn't have any problem with interference from the spare during installation, but getting the durn holes lined up took awhile. If you can get someone to hole the hitch in place for you while you start the bolts, or at least have a jackstand to help, that will make it a lot easier.

It doesn't look like there should be any problems lowering the spare with the hitch in place, but it may be a little more difficult to reach it once it's down...

Good Luck!

I have a brand new original MAZDA CX-9 hitch (Part# 0000-8E-N01), that I don't need anymore. I bought it because the stock "Trailer Hitch Wiring Kit" (Part# 0000-8E-M04) was not immediately available as a standalone item, only in a set with the hitch.
Send me a PM if you are interested. I live in southern Ontario.

I have got the hitch from my dealer, had to wait 1 month for the factory wiring. The problem I have is that for the trailer lights to work you have to turn on the light. At night its fine but during the day time I loose the dash lights because they go deamer. Has anyone seen this issue before. The dealer has replied that they can't change this. I find it to be an safety issue.

Back