How-to: Methanol Injection Install

jbspeed6

This is how I installed my Snow Performance Stage 2 Meth/Water injection system. This kit uses the MAF signal to vary the amount of methanol it injects into the car. It has two adjustment knobs, one for the start voltage and one for the full spray voltage. For instance, I would have my start voltage at 2.5v and my full on voltage at 4.5v, so that the pump turns on its minimum flow at 2.5v and linearily ramps up to its maximum flow when the voltage hits 4.5. I have had no bogging problems so far and the car is running fine.

First jack up your car if you are lowered and if you want to use the windshield wiper fluid tank, otherwise this step is unnecessary.
methinstall001fd8.jpg

Next take off your entire intercooler and charge pipe assembly.
methinstall002lr2.jpg

This is what I will be working with, injection kit and IC cold pipe.
methinstall003uj1.jpg

This is the hose that you have to take off in order to run the windsheild wiper tank. Be careful, windshield wiper fluid can cause blindess and harmful or fatal if swallowed. I probably should be blind by now...
methinstall004mw6.jpg

Let all the excess drain out before going on. If you are like me and NEVER use your windshield wiper fluid then this will take a while, go make a hot pocket. Be sure to pop the top of the tank or else you will be waiting longer than that.
methinstall005am3.jpg

I took off my horns in order to install the pump right below the tank. I also never really use my horns, even though I will probably end up re-connecting them because it is not exactly safe to run without a horn, especially if you drive like I do. Notice the red line that replaced the windshield wiper hose, this goes to the pump inlet. Hook up the ground, run a power line to the controller, and run the line into the engine bay for the nozzle.
methinstall007kq3.jpg

methinstall009qs9.jpg

Tap a hole for your nozzle. Try and make it as strait a path as possible and right before the TB, as to minimize pooling of the meth/water. Put together your nozzle and screw it into your tapped line, then put your IC assembly back into the car and run the line to the nozzle.
methinstall017qr0.jpg

methinstall023ab2.jpg

I put my controller near the MAF to minimize the amount of wires I had to run. Use the pink wire as your MAF voltage wire, the kit includes a wire tap, I used it because I suck at saudering. Run the power and ground to the controller. I used the fuse box as my 12v power source. Run your power line to the pump and make sure it runs well by tapping the power line that goes to the pump to the positive bat terminal. If water shoots out the hose and all over your car/yourself then it works. Once you know the pump works, connect the hose to the nozzle.
methinstall012pz0.jpg

methinstall006zi2.jpg

All the wires nice and clean, kit installed. You can also install the LED that comes with the kit. I didnt notice that there was one until everything was wired and cleaned up, and it was about 2am, so I dont have one. And don't worry about that huge heater hose I have coming out of my intake pipe, it is my recirc hose to my BOV and I just have not put it back on yet.
methinstall027vr4.jpg

Congratulations, you have just installed METH injection into your car. Now you can brag about it to all your friends, saying stuff like Yeah, Im running meth, thats right. Just dont say that to your friend with the single turbo Supra, you will regret it

how is the drive with it on? Do you even notice it or is it just for the satisfaction that you have extra protection for your internals and can jack the boost up?

I wanna run a meth kit on my setup. THey've really come down in price.

Ya man, there were a few AquaMist setups on her last week for sale...

how is the drive with it on? Do you even notice it or is it just for the satisfaction that you have extra protection for your internals and can jack the boost up?
It drives fine. I guess the reasoning was a bit of both, to protect and get a little more performance. Basically I am just trying to do as much as I can while waiting on the PNP Standback tuner to get here.

man this is great. thanks for the how to.. i just ordered this kit and cant wait to install it..

Just to let you know that this is the worst thing you can do when doing electrical wiring under your hood

This blue clip will make corrosion and corosion make resistance and one day it will change the signal form your maf for sure

methinstall006zi2.jpg

you should use this
hsb.jpg
next time

Instead of this
qs.jpg

But you need this
ct1516.jpg

to crimp the wire at each end and you need this
sd-017.jpg

to shrink the shrink tube around

I run a 320cc/min water/meth (50/50 mixed) injection system on my turbo eclipse and it works great. I don't even notice it running. It does cause some corrosion in the intake pipes, but nothing terrible. I have my system setup to inject 320cc/min contantly after the boost reaches 7psi or higher. I don't even notice it when it's operating. I had detonation issues above 18psi of boost because I'm running 9:1 compression and I'm pushing the limits of my turbo (ported 14B) and IC (supra TT oem), so the intake air is hotter than I'd like... and water injection completely eliminated any detonation I was having. I'm running 21 psi now, with no timing retard, because of the water/meth system.

btw... I built my system myself for about $70. All you need is a shurflo 100psi pump (ebay has tons of used ones, I paid $15), a boost pressure switch, 1/4" plastic high pressure tubing and fittings (hardware store), 30A relay and plug, 14ga wire, automotive water injection nozzle with integrated filter so it won't clog (ebay), water injection solenoid (ebay). I also put an oil pressure gauge inline so I could keep tabs on the pressure. If the pressure builds to spec and the needle stays still it means the nozzle is clogged and the water isn't flowing, if the needle builds to the pressure and then pulses it's working normally (it pulses as the pump kicks on and off to maintain pressure), if no pressure at all then the system has another problem. Much cheaper than a "clogged nozzle indicator" and I don't have to worry about the clog indicator malfunctioning and not lighting up (because I am the clog indicator). Also lets me know if the pump is wearing out and is making pressure, but not enough, or if the internal pressure regulator is malfunctioning.

I'll be doing water injection on my MS3 once it's out of warranty. I don't want to "give them a reason".

Stage one in the Protege. Been working great for months. I mounted the pump in front of the LF wheel and put a few shields around it. Been playing with Snows nitromethane too. It makes a nice difference although pretty expensive.

Attachments

• IMG_0028.jpg
    IMG_0028.jpg
    891.8 KB · Views: 517
jbspeed,

How quick does the tank empty? Do you use this on the road as well?

How does the car run with it considering it isnt tuned for it? I am also waiting for the PnP standback, but I need some added OOOMPH soon

Questions regarding running injection...

I plan on running the MS CAI, Cobb AP, Meth/Injection and possibly a TBE on my Speed3. Without getting a specific tune and either running Cobb Stage 1 or 2 would I see any decent gains from running the water/meth injection system?

If you just ran water/meth injection on your MS3 without any other mods would you see any gains?

How much power can one expect to resonably gain from this system on the MS3?

How long are peoples water/meth tanks lasting during normal driving?

What are the negatives to running water/meth injection?

How often do your nozzles clog?

Thanks guys - just trying to get up to speed on this... knowledge is power. (upbum)

You are not going to see big gains until you get a tune...running the meth injection might get you a little boost in power from the cooler charge, but it's real benefit comes from being able to safely tune higher boost and more advanced timing. The only real negative is if your are running a tune set-up for the injection and the system breaks somehow leaving you running a hardcore tune with no safety from the meth injection. How fast you run out of water/meth depends on the size of the tank and how you deliver the injection (ie. at WOT or at a certain boost setting). I doubt anyone can really answer your questions for sure because you need to have a specific plan when adding an injection kit...I mean without a tune you probably wont gain much at all, but with a tune and added boost you could see up to 50whp or more...It all depends on the kit, the tune, the car, the set-up, the liquid you run (ie 50/50 or 100% methanol).

Last edited:
Thanks CrashKelly - What if I am running the meth injection and just use a manual boost controller to turn up the boost if needed, say to 20 psi? Would that work for more power (but still done safely) or do I need to advance the timing in order to take full advantage of it?

Thanks CrashKelly - What if I am running the meth injection and just use a manual boost controller to turn up the boost if needed, say to 20 psi? Would that work for more power (but still done safely) or do I need to advance the timing in order to take full advantage of it?

I am not sure, I dont have much experience with those kits, I was just researching them awhile back cause I was planning on getting one. I would guess that you could just jack up the boost some because the Meth injection would keep you from detonating, but you would be able to get the most out of upping the boost and advancing the timing. Anytime you can have your engine management system tuned exactly for your mods you are going to make the most HP.

wich compagnie is good for the Mazdaspeed6. snowperformance,. coolingmists.

AEM meth injection. devils own meth injection?

also I read somewhere that stock with meth inject without any tune the engine and intercooler wont hold 20 psi of boost on the ms6. is that right ?

so far I got the fAEM CAI, SU turbosmart BOV and TWM short throw shifter.
now Im thinking of getting an ECU upgrade with a tune combine with meth injection, will that be good? or I could just run meth inject without any tune ?

Back