Will the GT Xenon HID light fit in a Touring?

Can I order the OEM Grand Touring Xenon headlamps and replace the headlights in a Touring model? I rather not go aftermarket, and I'd like to have the Xenon in the touring model. Has anyone done this successfully? Does anyone know the costs and part numbers?

Thanks!

Problem is that only the Grand Touring comes with Xenon HID, but cannot get the Grand Touring with 5-Speed manual transmission. Therefore, unfortunately, the leather and HID have to be done after-the-fact.

yes its bolt on, you just have to redo the wiring

Redo sounds a bit scary. Does that mean plug in the new HID lights, or do I have to purchase some type of wiring harness? Or is it a complete custom job by adding my own wires and connectors?

probably best to go aftermarket. Are the stock XENON Bi-Level or just lows? If theyre Bi-Level then they're most likely auto-levling which means that sensors would need to be installed in the front and back of the car which will be a pain and definitely cost in the thousands unless you know someone who can wire it all. I have aftermarkets and havent had any problems at all. Anyone else have the same experience with aftermarkets?

For the huge difference in cost and trouble involved you owe it to yourself to go with aftermarket. I can understand your reluctance to do it but seriously you could almost swap a manual tranny into a GT for less money and hassle than trying to retrofit the self-leveling HID. Even if you buy two of the best HID retrofits available and purchase a third party lifetime warranty you couldn't possibly spend two grand on the whole setup. If you must go all OEM look to Mazdapartsonline.com (a forum sponsor) they are very knowledgeable and their prices aren't too horrifying either. Good Luck!

Okay, that makes sense, I really don't want the hassle of a huge installation. I was kind of hoping that it would be a plug-n-play experience. Is there anyone that's done this before?

If not, could you guys please give me a few resources for the best HID kits out there? Looking for true Xenon HID, not blub conversions. Are all the aftermarket kits only lowbeam? Or can you get both?

Thank you for all the feedback, this will help a great deal.

As far as I understand the conversion are all "bulb conversion" because that is really all HID really is. What the conversions do is allow the installation of an HID element and associated ballast and wiring into your existing projector beam housing. Because the 5 uses two separate bulbs for high and low beam you will need to purchase two conversions for each headlight housing. This will give you HID for both low and high beams. I am currently waiting for delivery on a 55 watt conversion for just my low beams as I don't find the high beams are really lacking for power I don't plan on converting them to HID. Hope that helps, Ross

As far as I understand the conversion are all "bulb conversion" because that is really all HID really is. What the conversions do is allow the installation of an HID element and associated ballast and wiring into your existing projector beam housing. Because the 5 uses two separate bulbs for high and low beam you will need to purchase two conversions for each headlight housing. This will give you HID for both low and high beams. I am currently waiting for delivery on a 55 watt conversion for just my low beams as I don't find the high beams are really lacking for power I don't plan on converting them to HID. Hope that helps, Ross

Please let me know how it goes and how you like it. Which color temperature did you order? I was leaning towards something in the 4500K range.

Does anyone else have any experience with aftermarket Xenon Bulbs?

I ordered the 4500K kit 55watt. Acording to RPM that combo yeilds roughly 5000 lumens of output, the highest they list. I don't really care about the "HID look" per se, I was most interested in extending the reach of the low beams at night. I will post about the install and how I like the conversion in the near future (hopefully)

Okay, that makes sense, I really don't want the hassle of a huge installation. I was kind of hoping that it would be a plug-n-play experience. Is there anyone that's done this before?

If not, could you guys please give me a few resources for the best HID kits out there? Looking for true Xenon HID, not blub conversions. Are all the aftermarket kits only lowbeam? Or can you get both?

Thank you for all the feedback, this will help a great deal.

you can get both. Hi's/Low's but IMO hi's might be a little it of a waste unless you are in an area where you actually drive with them on because It takes all HID's a few seconds to really get their brightest. I do however want to get a kit for my fogs.

HID's

I've had a pair of HID's for almost a year now and the difference in light output is amazing!! I can see things at nite I couldn't see before. For safety, HID's are the way to go. Don't waste your money by over spending on expensive dealer installed units. It cost me $150 total, including shipping, on 2 HID bulbs - true Xenon bulbs, not imitations, which included the 23000Volt ballasts, all plug and play connections, and instructions on how you can install them yourself in about 30 minutes. There was no cutting of any wires involved, but the only issue I had is that the low beams are also the day time running lights (Canadian Mazda 5 GT). If you don't have DRL's, then you won't have any problems. I had to install a relay directly to the battery because HID's need a minimum of 12V to power them. With DRL's, there is only about 7volts, so the lights flicker - that's NO GOOD!! Mine are on anytime I start the car, but doesn't matter because they last 5 to 10 times longer than a regular halogen bulb. I picked up replacement bulbs only for another $40, just in case one burns out. The color temp I bought was 5000K which is the brightest white light you can have (and legal). Here is the link where I bought mine (got them in 3 days), but I'm sure there are others which are just as good. http://stores.ebay.ca/MC-Motoring_W0QQdptZ0QQsclZ0QQsspagenameZWD5QQtZkm

i have 6000k HID
CRW_1819d.jpg

Sorry for not responding sooner, I had a computer meltdown. I installed the 55w kit myself in about an hour for both sides, very easy once I figured out what to do with the wiring. The RPM kit had everything needed, except a decent set of idiot-proof instructions! I absolutely love the lights, they are beyond a doubt the best headlights i have ever owned. The difference in night driving is incredible. Where before I had a hard time distinguishing objects on the shoulder due to dim light, now I can clearly see things thirty feet off the road! Well worth the money I recommend them to anyone who is considering them.

Back