Grounding throttle body

I did.. it works. But I removed it and adjusted myself to driving the M5 as it is -- and learned to handle the 'throttle lag'.

With the throttle body grounded, you will notice the ATX shifting from 4 to 3rd gear even with the slightest push of the gas pedal. Most of the time I want the atx to stay in 4th gear and I can accelerate smoothly. With the ground, you'll always get 'shift-down' to 3rd gear.

Only way to decide if you like it is to try it.

Even in "Manual" mode? I know the car isn't supposed to down shift in "manual" but it has for me with the cruise set on the highway going up some inclines. I think I could get used to shifting it for the gains.

I did not experience it in manual mode. I was in auto mode on the M5 when I had the throttle-ground in effect.

Is there any real point to performing this mod on a 5 speed? I haven't noticed any real "lag" in throttle response so far with mine. I suppose it is an easy enough mod to un-do if the results aren't what I had in mind, I'm just wondering.....

Is there any real point to performing this mod on a 5 speed? I haven't noticed any real "lag" in throttle response so far with mine. I suppose it is an easy enough mod to un-do if the results aren't what I had in mind, I'm just wondering.....

I agree. no need for the mod. I was just curious and I did notice the throttle body is 'floating' (not connected to ground). So I did the mod to check out.

If you do ground the Throttle Body (TB) with this mod., it may cause a change in performance as the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) may be grounded through the Powertarian Control Module (PCM). There is an applied voltage to the TPS which is most likely read by the PCM. You are negating this reading by grounding the TB; therefore, supplying an "incorrect" reading to the PCM which controls shifting in an auto tranny.

MORE:
Inhibition conditions​
•​
To improve driveability and ensure exhaust emission performance, the EGR valve closes when any of the
following conditions are met. ( ) indicate input/output devices.

—​
When throttle valve is fully closed (throttle position sensor)

—​
When vehicle is stopped (speed sensor)

—​
When the fuel injection control is in the high volume increase zone

—​
The engine coolant temperature is 50 C {122 F} or less (engine coolant temperature sensor)

During deceleration (throttle position sensor)

Last edited:
So YAY or NAY ,guys ? Thisi s an easy mod so I'm wondering if it's worth it. :confused:
I would do it myself, if it lasted. Appearently, the ECU eventually says FU and goes back to normal. (nuts)

Well, I did this mod today and I have noticed improved throttle response. It's not all in my head, since I've had to actively change the way I apply my foot to the pedal in response to the sensitivity change.
Before, the throttle was a little vague and sluggish, but now it's quick, eager, and precise.

I know this is a doom 'n' gloom post, but don't expect it to last too long. The ECU in the 3 re-learns and compensates for it.
I was extremely happy w/this at first too, but in order for it to work consistently you have to reset the ECU about every 100 miles or so.

Lightbulb moment... could this possibly remedy the engine cutout/hesitation issue on cold mornings in the winter? (thought)

I'm presently trying out the steps below . I'm still deciding if the 'change in feel' is real or just psychological. lol.

==================
FROM A CHRYSLER FORUM
On my chrysler 300m it has an electronic gas pedal. There is actually a program mode you can get into the trottle response. You go through a series of steps then depending how fast you depress the pedal and release it determines how sensitive the pedal response is. Have to be careful of you calibrate it to fast you will find if you just touch the pedal the car flys. I have listed the proceedure below. A long shot but the best we have so far.

The throttle by wire used to do a couple strange things like hold gear to redline even if she wasn't floored. Had to back way off in order for her to shift. Now I back out slightly and she will shift up a gear like I would expect. Throttle response appears more "cable" like as well. Haven't tried a WOT run through the gears yet to see how it effects the feel of the shifts.

Here's the proceedure:

- Turn on your key, wait for the lights to go out (on the dash)
- Press you throttle all the way down, just do it at a normal speed, dont stomp it, but dont baby it.
- Let it up, as soon as you touch bottom
- Turn off your ignition. crank it up and drive.

===============

Back