Three Step Detail

Skylab

:
Mazda 5
Hey all. I don't post much, but after busting my arse cleaning my 5, figured I should post the results!

I used a claybar, satin wax, then a cherry finishing wax that claims to be anti-static (i.e. repels dust). The wax was applied with an orbital.

Mazda5.jpg

Mazda52.jpg

Mazda55.jpg

(hump)

(humpleg) Looks incredible! I give you a lot of credit because the idea of keeping that much white paint looking that good makes baby jesus cry.

I always am excited to see Skylab™'s posts. Doesn't happen often but when it does I'm usually impressed at the contents :)

This is no exception, great work!

Niiiiiice job. All that recent good work on the white Mazda5's of this forum is putting pressure on the rest of the members non-white cars :D

I'll post my wife's super clean ride as well.... oh, who Am I kidding? (sad1) ;)

(humpleg) Looks incredible! I give you a lot of credit because the idea of keeping that much white paint looking that good makes baby jesus cry.

:D :D

I need to get after my front quarter panels with the "bug and tar remover", and then get some mud flaps ordered! They are re-paving the road in front of my development and I cringe at the sound of warm asphalt hitting the fenders every morning. Skylab, whose clay-bar did you use? (and don't say "mine, silly")

I thought we are supposed to use our fingers to apply the wax. This way we can feel presence of the minute amount of grit/sand that might be rubbing the sub's clear coat? My friend's cx-7 already had lots of 'swirl marks' on them. They used cloth in applying the wax. using motorized wax applicator will be scary. I think. :).

I thought we are supposed to use our fingers to apply the wax. This way we can feel presence of the minute amount of grit/sand that might be rubbing the sub's clear coat? My friend's cx-7 already had lots of 'swirl marks' on them. They used cloth in applying the wax. using motorized wax applicator will be scary. I think. :).

If you clay the vehicle first, the little particles will already be off of the vehicle, so no need to worry about using a random orbital. I have done this for years with my wife's Saturn wagon, and its garbage paint job, and there are no swirl marks whatsoever, and even there poor paint ends up looking pretty good. Make sure you use a random orbital polisher, and quailty application pads, not just something you picked up at Sears. Here is a link to the pads that I use with my random orbital polisher.

http://www.meguiars.com/?pro-pad/SOFTBUFF-Finishing-Pad

That said, you do want to hand wax around the edges of the painted surfaces to avoid getting wax on rubber and pebbled plastic body trim pieces that will turn white when the wax dries :).

^^^Don't feel too bad, not many people are willing to go to the trouble of using one on a brand new car. Don't be surprised by the amazing amount of filth that a good clay bar treatment can lift out of your cars finish though. Oh and afterwards don't put anything heavy on the roof (can of soda, scalding hot cuppa joe, etc.) because it WILL slide off and wack you in the cranium!

thanks. now I have new things to do on the M5. I will try the clay bar.
I know every scratch locations in our M5 so far. I guess they can't be avoided. My friend told me to consider them minor scratches as 'battle scars' earned by car as she journeys the urban jungle, and faces the dangers of the supermarket parking lots.

======

http://www.meguiars.com/?pro-pad/SOFTBUFF-Finishing-Pad

That said, you do want to hand wax around the edges of the painted surfaces to avoid getting wax on rubber and pebbled plastic body trim pieces that will turn white when the wax dries :).

===

clay bar = greatness
i used a maguiars and it worked great. i usually follow that up with their nXt wax. works like a charm

clay bar = greatness
i used a maguiars and it worked great. i usually follow that up with their nXt wax. works like a charm

I used the Nxt wax on my mothers Acura Legend and it has held up beautifully!! She parks outdoors under oak trees and the wax has prevented sap issues and still beads like new six months later. I'm not trying to sell anything here, it is just a good product that I have had a good experience with.

^^As have I. I tried it out on the 5 and think it is Mequiars best product by a long stretch. Especially on the front bumper where bug splatter just wipes off with a damp rag, awesome! I'll be doing the clay bar thing before winter arrives this year.

Ok I used the clay bar for the first time.. Just to let you know that I'm now a convert. My idea of a properly waxed car has been elevated to a new level. Its not enough that it looks shiny and clean. It has to be smooth or slick to the touch without any sign of 'grit' whatsoever.

Next question, how to you guys remove those dust that cling to the waxed surface after a short trip?

Ok I used the clay bar for the first time.. Just to let you know that I'm now a convert. My idea of a properly waxed car has been elevated to a new level. Its not enough that it looks shiny and clean. It has to be smooth or slick to the touch without any sign of 'grit' whatsoever.

Next question, how to you guys remove those dust that cling to the waxed surface after a short trip?

quick detailer could do the trick, but i personally only use it for bird s*** and stuff i dont want sitting on my car for a week

Back