Lousy Gas Mileage

RVC

Is anyone else getting bad mkileage with thier CX-9? FWD GT with 3,000 miles nd I am only getting 21mpg 98% highway driving with cruise control set between 65-68 mph. I could have gotten better mileage in a Tahoe!

What is the mileage rating on the FWD versions? What mileage were you expecting to get?

We have an AWD, which I believe was rated at 16 city / 22 highway. When we don't go on the highway much, we are getting right around 16 - 17. Our best tank so far has been 20, but we haven't burned a full tank from start to finish on the highway alone (where I'd hope and expect to get 22 or so).

Is anyone else getting bad mkileage with thier CX-9? FWD GT with 3,000 miles nd I am only getting 21mpg 98% highway driving with cruise control set between 65-68 mph. I could have gotten better mileage in a Tahoe!

Highway mileage was set at about 46 mph for the '07 EPA figure. Try driving that speed if you want better than the EPA.

Where did you get that info? Why would they rate MPG at 46 mph, it makes no sense. I am not looking to get more than epa. But I would like to see 23-24. Our givernment Tahoe gets 22+ on the highway.

Tahoe and 22 mpg ???? Downhill with engine off maybe - sorry, not mean to be sarcastic. You mean Chevy tahoe with small block 5.7 or 5.3 getting 22. I had a 99 with Vortec 5.7 and was getting 14 if lucky, maybe 2wd would be better, but not much. 22 is realy good but I doubt you get that in combined driving. Set the cruise to 55 mph and on a stretch of 50 miles maybe you'll get that.

Where did you get that info? Why would they rate MPG at 46 mph, it makes no sense. I am not looking to get more than epa. But I would like to see 23-24. Our givernment Tahoe gets 22+ on the highway.

The new 08 EPA ratings for the CX-9 are 16 city/22 highway FWD & 15 city/21 HWY AWD.

From the EPA testing procedure. Google it!!!!

Well Damn....I'm sorry I asked. BTW the 2007 Tahoe 2wd LT (with Active Fuel Management) will get 22 mpg highway, not combined.

Last edited:
But it's a POS Tahoe.

we get about 20 combined, but I take advantage of our CX9's performance and push it pretty good. Its just too much fun to drive.

But it's a POS Tahoe.

we get about 20 combined, but I take advantage of our CX9's performance and push it pretty good. Its just too much fun to drive.

You get 20 combined pushing it a little? That's pretty nice! I get 20 on the highway taking it easy. Well it is what it is, my 66' Galaxie gets 5mpg(headbang)!

Best tank is still 20, average in combined driving is 18 - 19. We've installed the scangauge II ( www.scangauge.com ), which shows instantaneous mileage as well as various cumulative calculations, so it can help the driver learn what different speeds and driving choices do to affect the mileage.

I am averaging 18 for 50/50 driving and this week got up to 20.9mpg... i was so happy... my ford explorer was approximately 15mpg.. so this is like heaven for me.

I drove my new GT AWD from Indianapolis to Central Florida and got 22 mpg over the first three fillups. My last tank of mixed driving I got 19. Very happy!

Just picked up my 2008 GT AWD and proceeded to drive from Mississauga Ontario Canada to Virginia Beach. Got 13 MPG on first tank (was stuck in traffic at the border for 30 min and drove 70/30 Hwy City. On Second tank averaged 20 MPG mostly freeway driving at around 70 mph going through the mountains. On Third fill up, averaged 220 miles on half tank (still haven't filled up).

Please note that this is with teh 3.7L engine

ZOOM ZOOM!

There is something definately wrong with my 2008 CX-9 FWD. My wife drives it around in this little suburban North New Jersey town. Leased it in 11/2007 and only have 2500 miles on it. I don't buy the B.S. from the service manager that it takes 5000 miles to "break in". Oh then my gas mileage will me awesome right...NOT! Barely any highway mileage, but we still get less than anything close to the rating. With about 1/8 of a tank left we only get 172 miles...That's horrible for a FWD. Had I known it was this bad I would have gotten a bicycle.

Curious if you're using gas with high ethanol content? CX-9 to bicycle. LOL!

Well you know there are more in between choices!

I get 24mpg mixed with a lot of agressive driving in my Mazdaspeed3, and high 28's mixed 50/50 taking it easy. Yeah different car entirely, but just throwing that out there before you go and trade the CX9 in on a big wheel. :)

Be thankful you didn't get the CX7. I've never gotten better than 14.6 MPG on that brick. My wife gets roughly 18 MPG on her CX9, and we got 25 MPG on the highway out 2500 miles to Oregon and back. Ours is the AWD version.

I get 24mpg mixed with a lot of agressive driving in my Mazdaspeed3, and high 28's mixed 50/50 taking it easy.

If you're getting those numbers off of the trip computer on the MS3, they are typically 3 mpg - 4 mpg optimistic compared to the actual mileage. Compare a tank or two manually (reset the trip meter when you fill up, on next fillup at same station divide miles by amount of gas it took to fill up again), and you may be unpleasantly surprised.

anyone complaining about mpg's that's not in a cold area or still on winter fuel? pretty common for just about any vehicle to see a reduction in mpg's in the winter (my truck goes from a steady 19mpg down to 16.5-17 in the winter driving exactly the same roads and speeds).

Back