Nismo CAI on Mazda 5

Eric187

:
07 Mazda 5 (With 2X 7 inch.t.v lcd monitor)
Hi
Recently i try just for fun my old Nismo CAI on my Mazda 5 and with some minor mod for the MAF sensor, it fit great but i'm think my car was more slow then factory air box.This is normal?
(No other engine mod.)

Thanks

P.S Sorry for my English

Hi
Recently i try just for fun my old Nismo CAI on my Mazda 5 and with some minor mod for the MAF sensor, it fit great but i'm think my car was more slow then factory air box.This is normal?
(No other engine mod.)

Thanks

P.S Sorry for my English

If it was designed for another car it very well might hurt performance. Id stick with the stock airbox and throw a K&N filter in.

I've heard that a CAI on any 3 or 5 will show gains in the top end, but for some reason it's slower off the line.

Is it a 'short ram' CAI or is it one of the longer, snakey CAIs?

From what I understand the short ones usually result in a loss of low end power, but make more power up @ the top end/higher RPMs...and the long tube CAIs make more torque & boost low end/RPM performance.

Kinda like low-rise vs. high rise intakes for you carburetor guys.

Hi
Yes, its the long Nismo CAI.But I buy a brand new Fujita CAI and OBX Headers design for the Mazda 5.I hope i receiv it shorthly and i can compare it.

If you have a dyno nearby, get some readings before and after the headers/intake mod please.

I know the RX8's did better on stock boxes for a long time, saw some firsthand dyno action to prove my statement. Mazda does a fairly good job of getting performance out of their cars IMO. I'll prolly got the drop-in route here soon.

Yeah....I have the Fujita CAI on my Mazda5 and it's definitely slower off the line that without the CAI,..

I wonder if it is possible that the intake tube is longer than it needs to be? Sometimes a shorter intake tube will give back the lost low RPM power.

Not sure why you'd see less power with an intake. Maybe its tuned for high end power, an not necessarily for low end torque.

But wouldn't you need to open the exhaust a bit also? Opening the intake would benefit more with the exhaust opened up too.

Not sure why you'd see less power with an intake. Maybe its tuned for high end power, an not necessarily for low end torque.

But wouldn't you need to open the exhaust a bit also? Opening the intake would benefit more with the exhaust opened up too.

I tend to see less power straight off the line...Once I get moving and the air starts to flow there is a bit of an increase....I find it very noticeable over 80km/hr if I downshift.
Anthony

I assume that you reset the ECU when you installed. Any change will require some "relearning" from the engine managment...

I assume that you reset the ECU when you installed. Any change will require some "relearning" from the engine managment...

Oops.....I guess I forgot to do that step....:eek:
Is it really necessary to do this though?
I can give it a try this weekend and see what happens.
Thanks for the heads up.....

Anway, I plan to take off the CAI this Fall and reinstall the stock air box with a K&N element. Don't get me wrong, the CAI is nice to have.
It looks impressive under the hood and the sound is like music to my ears.....But I've had my fun with it.
And my son who now drives the Mazda5 is constantly flooring the gas pedal just to hear the noise. I think it's a cool thing for him and his friends.
So before he kills himself or gets a ticket or both I'll be removing it.
If you know of anyone who's interested in it let me know.
Anthony

Back