Slightly rough acceleration at times

jandree22

:
2007 Mazda5
I think I've been getting a subtle feeling of engine roughness during acceleration at times. Seems like it happens usually in the 50%-75% throttle range. Almost feels like a engine lugging vibration, only not quite as intense and it happens at non-lugging RPMs, like 3-4k. No CEL and it only happens on occassion, and like I said, it's subtle. Idle is perfect. Anyone else ever notice anything similar?

I think I'll try a bottle of fuel system cleaner and see what happens. Might've just gotten a dirty tank of gas at some point.

Last edited:
It's all that horsepower trying to escape. GIVE IT 100% THROTTLE!!!!!
Ugh... :rolleyes:

Something I just thought of is Ive been putting cheap ass Sams Club gasoline in there consistently. Ill try a few tanks of Shell and see if that doesnt help the situation.

We're plagued with Hess brand (which I understand not to be the best) and of course your knock off convenience store blends. We do however have a lot of Sunoco's which I understand are decent.

As far as BP and Shell, I too hear that they're about the best considering their detergent additives. We only have 1 Shell and 1 BP in the area, neither in my direct commute, but only a few miles out of the way. I think I'll go for a few tanks of BP and see what happens. If nothing else I'll fell better about what I'm feeding my car.

Find a Redline oil distributor and use thier SI-1 fuel additive/system cleaner. We use it and see AMAZING results as far as intake and cumbustion chamber cleanliness. Plus BMW and Mercedes and all them support it's use too.

I use nothing but Sunoco in my 5. We have a Sunoco refinery here so some of the guys from the refinery talk about what actually goes into the different brands. They said there is a world of difference between say the gas at the local quik e mart and their own stations. The differences boil down to the formulations and the additives, and in the end you get what you pay for :). I have not had any fuel system problems with any of my vehicles.

Latest posts

Back