Compass and computer trip.

CX9-PL

So let me get that straight: on a fully loaded GT, it may happen that you do not have a compass unless you have it in the rear view mirror, is that correct ? Is there a compas in the NAV screen ?

And the trip computer, surprising and dissapointing. Guess you can't have everything.

So let me get that straight: on a fully loaded GT, it may happen that you do not have a compass unless you have it in the rear view mirror, is that correct ? Is there a compas in the NAV screen ?
There is a compass on the top left corner of the navigation screen. I don't really like some limitations of the navigation system, but yesterday I liked it a lot when played around with waypoints and other features and run into an interesting screen (third photo). The first picture shows the waypoints and the compass in one of its two operating modes. ("Geographic-north-up" map orientation mode)

IMG_3499.JPG

Here is the other ("Heading-up") operating mode of the compass:

IMG_3500.JPG

On the above screen I clicked on the displayed 1st waypoint icon, and the following screen showed up:

IMG_3501.JPG

I really liked these trip planning details. It's always good to know your distance and ETA to Tim Hortons "XL double-double".(canada)

And the trip computer, surprising and dissapointing. Guess you can't have everything.
There are trip computers available that you can simply plug in to the connector under the steering wheel. Personally I don't miss it. I would hate to see the instantaneous fuel consumption figure. BTW on my trip yesterday (85% highway 15% city) the average consumption was 10.3 litre/100km, not too bad.

Any info available on these?

l-miwa,

Here is one.... http://www.scangauge.com/

Manual: http://www.scangauge.com/support/pdfs/SGIIManual.pdf

Maybe it's just me, but IMO it doesn't fit the style of the CX-9, despite the interesting features. Let me know if you found a good spot for permanent installation.

IMG_1999_Blue.jpg
IMG_2009_withdims.jpg

Trip Computer Functions:
  • Maximum Speed
  • Average Speed
  • Maximum Coolant Temperature
  • Maximum RPM
  • Driving Time
  • Driving Distance
  • Fuel Used
  • Trip Fuel Economy
  • Distance to Empty
  • Time to Empty
  • Fuel to Empty
Digitial Guages:
  • Fuel Economy
  • Fuel Rate
  • Battery Voltage
  • Coolant Temperature
  • Intake Air Temperature
  • Engine Speed (RPM)
  • Vehicle speed (MPH)
  • Manifold Pressure (not available on some vehicles)
  • Engine Load
  • Throttle Position
  • Ignition Timing
  • Open/Closed Loop
Scan Tool:
  • Reads Trouble Codes
  • Reads conditions that set the Trouble Code
  • Clears Trouble Codes
  • Turns off "Check Engine" light
  • Tells you when vehicle is "Ready" to pass OBDII testing
  • Make and store up to 10 rewritable special codes to send to the vehicle computer

Last edited:
l-miwa,

Here is one.... http://www.scangauge.com/
Manual: http://www.scangauge.com/support/pdfs/SGIIManual.pdf

Maybe it's just me, but IMO it doesn't fit the style of the CX-9, despite the interesting features. Let me know if you found a good spot for permanent installation.

Thanks for the info. I didn't know such an easy to install computer existed.

I think I'm going to order one. If I don't like the look, I can always keep it to use as a diagnostic tool, since I can just plug it into any OBDII car.

If I find a good mounting position in a CX-9 (I already installed an H/K Drive+Play) I'll post pictures.

I have a ScanGauge II and it works very well. I have it right on top of the steering column right where it meets the dash. I ran the cable down beside/behind the steering column and down to the OBDII port right below the steering column. It doesn't have the styling of the CX-9 but you can get the back light color to match pretty well with the red CX-9 color.

I don't have any pictures but I will try to remember to take a couple.

Eric

Got the ScanGuage II and installed it in all of about 2 minutes! Truly plug-and-play. Works well, but I'm still in the calibration process (takes a compete fill-up to fill-up to get the fuel usage totally accurate). As with other cars, having the instantaneous MPG in front of you tends to increase your gas mileage!

I went with a blue background to match the blue ring lighting of the tach and speedo. It's only visible at night. During the day it's black on white. Here are two pics:

Attachments

• trip_comp_1.jpg
    trip_comp_1.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 595
  • trip_comp_2.jpg
    trip_comp_2.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 513
We installed over the weekend as well. Piece of cake! We completed the speed calibration (using a handheld GPS), and it was only off 2% or so. Will be calibrating the fuel tonight after 3/4 or so of the tank will be gone. We also went with the blue background; seemed to match the dash pretty well without a heck of a lot of work (and trying for one of the 63 custom colors).

My wife loves the miles to empty feature, and will likely leave it on that page 98% of the time, though the other gauges are fun to view from time to time...

Do we know if there is anyway of integrating that functionality into the dash display, center data display, or Nav display? It would also be nice to have TPMS information displayed for individual tires..

Craig

That sure would be nice, but I gotta believe it's on the "unlikely to happen" list. I'd imagine someone may be able at some point to figure out how to use the nav display to view other media by wiring in a switchbox, but integrating it in any real way to show other car diagnostic information, while also making any of the buttons control what is shown on the screen, seems like a tall order.

There are some folks on the Prius boards who have done some pretty crazy customizations of their data screens, but that car has a bunch more computing power, and is evidently more amenable to such customizations.

Are you guys really that bad at finding your way around that you even need a NAV system?
The day I think I need a computer to tell me how to find my way around is the day I stop driving.

Last edited:
Hi there,

This is my first post.

I just want to confirm if the Scan Gauge connected to a CX9 will be able to display all that it claims and if the units can be in metric ( km/h , km/liter , etc )

thanks.

OOPPSS ... read the manual from the link above and it can display in metric units . just want a confirmation that all functions work with the CX9

Last edited:
Got the ScanGuage II and installed it in all of about 2 minutes! Truly plug-and-play. Works well, but I'm still in the calibration process (takes a compete fill-up to fill-up to get the fuel usage totally accurate). As with other cars, having the instantaneous MPG in front of you tends to increase your gas mileage!

I went with a blue background to match the blue ring lighting of the tach and speedo. It's only visible at night. During the day it's black on white. Here are two pics:

What is that Harmon/Kardon device to the left of the dash?

Hi there,

This is my first post.

I just want to confirm if the Scan Gauge connected to a CX9 will be able to display all that it claims and if the units can be in metric ( km/h , km/liter , etc )

thanks.

OOPPSS ... read the manual from the link above and it can display in metric units . just want a confirmation that all functions work with the CX9

Yup, the scangauge displays just about everything that the CX-9 ECU spits out. But, there are some options that the CX-9 doesn't have a sensor for, like manifold pressure, so the scangauge doesn't show anything for that setting. Here's a list of all the stock data choices:

http://www.scangauge.com/features/

I haven't sent mine back yet to get upgraded to the latest rev (which they will do for free); which will give a whole bunch more options to display:

http://www.scangauge.com/support/pdfs/XGAUGE.pdf

We love ours, it's truly a great little gadget.

What is that Harmon/Kardon device to the left of the dash?

That's a Drive+Play that works with the little mushroom shaped controller on the right of the picture, to control my iPod.

There are a number of threads that discusses this. Just search for "Drive+Play". I posted close up pictures in one of them.

I haven't sent mine back yet to get upgraded to the latest rev (which they will do for free); which will give a whole bunch more options to display:

I checked the link but couldn't figure out exactly what additional info the upgrade would add for the CX-9.

Back