Mazda's new engine

I wonder what kind of difference the new engine will make with 0-60 times. The Acura MDX is .5 seconds quicker according to most tests at 300 hp. It doesn't seem that the new engine will make that much difference. What is anyone's opinion?

It is not always about peek HP. If the new engine flattens the torque curve and brings more torque to the party at lower RPM it will have a significant effect on acceleration from a dead stop. The 3.5 does not seem to really get spooled up until about 3000rpm. If the 3.7L drops that peek trque by a 500 rpm you would feel a significant difference.

It might not make up a full 1/2 second ( it could ), but a 1/4 of a second would not be unexpected.

As for MPG the same thing applies. Everytime the trans downshifts to maintain a speed up a hill, you lose MPG. If the new engine has enough extra torque so that it does not need to downshift as often it will improve gas milage.

In the old days ( before direct port fuel injection ) any increas in engine size usually ment that it would be less fuel efficient. In a modern engine the injectors will only put as much fuel as necessary in the engine to meet the torque demand unlike an old carburator that will nearly the same amount of fuel at a given RPM reguardless on the torque required to run the engine at a given RPM.

My guess? 1/4 second faster 0-60mph and about 0.05 sec faster in the 1/4 mile.

2007 3.5L V6 engine: 263 HP @ 6250 rpm - torque 249 @ 4500 rpm.

2008 3.7L V6 engine: 273 HP @ 6250 rpm - torque 270 @ 4250 rpm.

It is not always about peek HP. If the new engine flattens the torque curve and brings more torque to the party at lower RPM it will have a significant effect on acceleration from a dead stop. The 3.5 does not seem to really get spooled up until about 3000rpm. If the 3.7L drops that peek trque by a 500 rpm you would feel a significant difference.

It might not make up a full 1/2 second ( it could ), but a 1/4 of a second would not be unexpected.

As for MPG the same thing applies. Everytime the trans downshifts to maintain a speed up a hill, you lose MPG. If the new engine has enough extra torque so that it does not need to downshift as often it will improve gas milage.

In the old days ( before direct port fuel injection ) any increas in engine size usually ment that it would be less fuel efficient. In a modern engine the injectors will only put as much fuel as necessary in the engine to meet the torque demand unlike an old carburator that will nearly the same amount of fuel at a given RPM reguardless on the torque required to run the engine at a given RPM.

My guess? 1/4 second faster 0-60mph and about 0.05 sec faster in the 1/4 mile.

A pretty fair explanation. I'm guessing about 3 tenths for 0-60 and 1/4 mile.

It's hard to believe you guys are discussing 1/4 mile times and 0-60 times for a 4000 lb. SUV. Thes are comfortable, go everywhere, do everything, luxury haulers, not drag racers. Although the new engine will be a noticeable improvement over the 07.

It's hard to believe you guys are discussing 1/4 mile times and 0-60 times for a 4000 lb. SUV. Thes are comfortable, go everywhere, do everything, luxury haulers, not drag racers. Although the new engine will be a noticeable improvement over the 07.

Drag racing times are a benchmark for how well a vehicle accelerates. We're discussing them so we know how much passing and manouvering ability the CX-9 has, not because we want to take it to the track every weekend.

I use my vehicle for work (sales) and drive about 38,000 miles a year. I am interested in it just for the fact of acceleration and passing power.

Back