Homelink mirror installation - broken tabs

OMF

:
2007 CX-9 GT AWD
Is there anybody out there who did NOT break any tabs off from the base plate of your Rain Sensor during your Homelink mirror installation?

I know for sure three of you did so far - and I am victim #4 (actually the technician at my dealer broke it).

As far as I know (from one of our forum member's experience) there is only one fix: windshield replacement.(gun)

Something is just not right around the rain sensor cover and/or base plate tabs. Looks like nobody can remove the rain sensor and / or rain sensor cover without snapping off the baseplate tabs. These tabs are supposed to hold the rain sensor module and its cover! If the sensor is not secured properly, the wiper may start working anytime when the sensor moves under the windshield when in AUTO mode.

BE VERY CAREFUL when removing the rain sensor!!! Be sure that the latches on BOTH SIDE of the sensor module are RELEASED, and after that you can try to pull the module off from its baseplate.

The picture shows the broken tabs on the right hand side.
broken tabs.jpg

Despite the installation issues the Homelink mirror with the auto dimming feature and compass is GREAT!!!! I highly recommend it. Should you need more details of my lessons learned before your Homelink mirror installation, send me a PM.

Is there anybody out there who did NOT break any tabs off from the base plate of your Rain Sensor during your Homelink mirror installation?

I know for sure three of you did so far - and I am victim #4 (actually the technician at my dealer broke it).

As far as I know (from one of our forum member's experience) there is only one fix: windshield replacement.(gun)

Something is just not right around the rain sensor cover and/or base plate tabs. Looks like nobody can remove the rain sensor and / or rain sensor cover without snapping off the baseplate tabs. These tabs are supposed to hold the rain sensor module and its cover! If the sensor is not secured properly, the wiper may start working anytime when the sensor moves under the windshield when in AUTO mode.

BE VERY CAREFUL when removing the rain sensor!!! Be sure that the latches on BOTH SIDE of the sensor module are RELEASED, and after that you can try to pull the module off from its baseplate.

The picture shows the broken tabs on the right hand side.
View attachment 112457

Despite the installation issues the Homelink mirror with the auto dimming feature and compass is GREAT!!!! I highly recommend it. Should you need more details of my lessons learned before your Homelink mirror installation, send me a PM.

This is very interesting. I had the dealer do this a few weeks ago and when it came back, the install looks a bit amateurish. There is a visible wire going back up to the roof from the mirror and there is a black wire guide in parallel as well -- I didn't recall seeing those before the mirror change. Also, the rain sensor was much more irrational and triggered if you gently touched the mirror. I had the dealer look at it again and it seem better now; they said they recalibrated the rain sensor.

But now that you mention the issue above, OMF, I am thinking the dealer ran into the same problem and hacked it together. I'll have another chat with them about this.

I wanted to thank OMF for this detailed warning.

Like other's reported after this warning; I had no problems doing this install - BUT I was extremely cautious removing the rain sensor cover due to the pictures above. OMF probably saved me from going too fast on those steps.

The latches are a little tight so I can imagine that a little extra pulling or wiggle with one latch not fully disengaged could be fatal. Mazda's instructions don't provide any heads-up on this.

So my feedback to others would be that this install can be done successfully without a lot of worry; but look closely at OMF's warning and pictures; follow the Mazda steps carefully; and just go slow on that part of the disassembly in general.

Great forum everyone!

-Jeff

Sounds to me like they are using an improper grade of plastic which can't take the stress when the tabs are bent. I'm sure Mazda is aware of the problem, but now has the parts molded and doesn't feel like taking it up with the molder.

So it's not really your fault that the tabs broke, it's poor design and poor material selection.

Id disagree somewhat. Like most parts on a modern car. the clips are designed to be installed once and then left alone. The fault with Mazda is more to do with selling components as accessories that normally are installed at the facotory. So as with anything installed after the fact, extra care needs to be taken to not damage these oneway parts.

I just got one installed by my dealer two days ago. As Lexx mentioned earlier that I can see a black cable comes to the mirror. It is somehow looked like as if the mirror is perchased from a junk yard and installed myself. I think that Mazda should at least hide this cable if it is required too much work for them to install at the factory. Acura did a great job in integrated the Homelink and auto dimming rear view mirror on my 04 TL.

This a like new 06 model mirror and comes complimentry compass programming. It has a wedge mount and has been fully tested twice. Directly fits most GM, Ford, Chrysler, Infiniti, Lexus, Lincoln, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Toyota, Isuzu, & some Honda,& Subaru. A wedge mount button is available to mount it to any other vehicle (Free). Such as a Toyota Tacoma Double Cab, Bmw, ect. Wedge mount button must be requested via email before shipment.

Thinking about doing this on my '08 - is the wiring already there or do you have to string the wire over and do the wiring?

Yours looks great SportOwner - but my wife would string me up if I told her I need to cut into the head liner... ;)

Last edited:
I had the dealer install the Homelink mirror in my '08--cost me $75 (which also included bug shield install).

Hey Force - where did you order your mirror from? Or did you get it from the dealer? And if so, how much was it if you don't mind me asking.

I did mine on my 08. Have to say the install kit's plastic cover is very cheap. I just reused the original cover after filing a opening to route the cable through. And fortunately, I did not break the tabs.

Back