Arcadia vs. Veracruz vs. CX-9 crossover comparison

It seems fair, but I think the Buick Enclave ( similar to the Arcadia ) would beat the CX-9 in a heads up test...

I still find it hard to believe that people find these unusually hard seats comfortable...

Maybe because they are not uncomfortable. If all of the magazines and reviews comment on their comfort, you might want to consider that you are in the extreme minority.

The Enclave is built on the same platform as the Arcadia, and has the same engine. I would guess that you would have the same results if it were entered into the mix.

Face it, as much as it burns your ass, the CX-9 is a hell of a vehicle, and is a damn good value in the crossover category.

It seems fair, but I think the Buick Enclave ( similar to the Arcadia ) would beat the CX-9 in a heads up test...

I still find it hard to believe that people find these unusually hard seats comfortable...

Go out and test drive the 2. The Enclave is slower, has terrible handling, crappy brakes and on top of it all, that transmission. What a pile of Junk. Maybe you missed the endless bad reviews on the Edge/MKX. You know, the same Transmission in the Enclave that the Edge uses. Terrible.

I'm an ex college football player and there is nothing wrong with the seats. In fact, my dad has the XC90 and Volvo always has great seats and I think the CX-9 seats are just as good if not better.

Enjoy your GM pile of junk. I am still waiting for 1 comparison article where the Outlook/Acadia/Enclave comes out on top. Waiting..........

Go out and test drive the 2. The Enclave is slower, has terrible handling, crappy brakes and on top of it all, that transmission. What a pile of Junk. Maybe you missed the endless bad reviews on the Edge/MKX. You know, the same Transmission in the Enclave that the Edge uses. Terrible.

I'm an ex college football player and there is nothing wrong with the seats. In fact, my dad has the XC90 and Volvo always has great seats and I think the CX-9 seats are just as good if not better.

Enjoy your GM pile of junk. I am still waiting for 1 comparison article where the Outlook/Acadia/Enclave comes out on top. Waiting..........

I am not quite sure why more people are not having seat comfort issues. I have owned about 20 cars over the years and none have been as bad as this vehicle. The seat in my 2005 Mustang GT, Wife's Avalon are both smaller and does not give me any trouble at all. I recently took a 12hr trip in the Mustang with no issues.

I guess it is possibe that there is simply some flaw in the seat, but since the dealer and Mazda flat refuse to even take a look at it for me, I have few options. I have to believe that more people would be screaming if the seats in their vehicle is as bad as the one in mine.

If anyone one in the Atlanta Area would like to take a ride in mine I would love to get another opinion. Maybe it would help me to get some help from either Mazda or the dealer...

I AM NOT MAKING THIS UP!!!!

sranger

I would be concerned about the reliability of the Enclave, given GM's reputation. I know they're trying to turn things around with this new platform, but quite frankly I don't think it's going to happen overnight. Time will tell how well engineered they are, but I would tend to agree that the seat will likely be better for you. I'm sure you'll be test driving the Enclave as much as possible to make sure it's okay. Right ?.

I'm also inclined to agree with your conclusion that the comparison result of the three vehicles would be skewed towards the Enclave with help from styling*, interior quality, and cabin isolation. Ride & handling comparison between Lambda & CX-9 seems somewhat subjective in that most reviews claim they are both surprisingly good for the their size, with the CX-9 taking the more sportier end of the spectrum.

The only problem with including Enclave in this comparison is that MRSP seems to be a little pricier than the comparison group. To get leather seating (same interior grade level as the CX-9 GT), your base CXL MRSP is $37,000 and it doesn't take much to spiral uncontrollably upwards from there. In that respect it may not be a very fair comparison with $34,000 vehicles.

*After finally seeing a "platinum metallic" Enclave in person, I think that the vote on styling will be quite subjective. I for one was not too impressed with the body styling of the Enclave, I think the CX-9 holds the lead in the styling department, although others may differ.

Last edited:

Okay, I have to chime in. As someone who is considering both the CX-9 and Enclave, I have to say the Lambdas are far from "piles of junk". You and satwar seem to be operating under the delusion that this is 1995 and Japanese vehicles are still statistically much more reliable than their American counterparts. The difference is very small according to Consumer Reports (although it depends on the make/model). Mazdas haven't typically had very high reliability, so you need to get off your high horse. (In fact, some sources such as JD Powers give Buick higher marks).

As for the bad reviews on the Edge/MKX, they have nothing to do w/ the Outlook/Acadia/Enclave. The Ford/Lincoln have poorly sorted suspensions, very little interior space given their weight (no 3rd row), and subpar interior fit and finish. While they do share a transmission, the programming is different. GM has issued 1 update for it already, but admits it's not perfect just yet and is planning another update next month which should cure the shifting issues some owners are experiencing. FWIW, GM supplies BMW w/ their auto transmissions, so they are very knowledgeable in this area. They clearly tuned the transmission to attain the best fuel economy numbers, which hurt performance slightly.

Regarding the Enclave's "terrible handling" and slow acceleration, I haven't seen any figures/comparison tests for the Enclave yet. Care to post your source? The skidpad performance results between the two is nearly identical (Acadia vs. CX-9) according to the MotorTrand test. In terms of braking, Car and Driver measured 167' in 70-0 braking for the Acadia, which is phenomenal. It scored less well in the MotorTrend test, but again, the Outlook did better overall in braking than the CX-9 in the Consumer Reports test, so I would hesitate to say the CX-9 is superior. As for accleration, the difference in acceleration figures for the CX-9 & Acadia from 0-60mph & in the 1/4 mile was .1 of a second in MotorTrend! The difference was the same in Consumer Reports test of the Outlook vs. CX-9. Not a significant difference and something that won't be an issue in 2009 when the Lambda triplets get Direct Injection and around 300hp.

Where does the Acadia/Outlook/Enclave really shine? Refinement. They are more quiet (especially the Buick), ride smoother, and are able to haul more people and cargo. I'm sorry you're so biased your unable to see the facts. The CX-9 is a great vehicle, but it's not the only viable choice out there. For the record, I realize this is a CX-9 forum, so it's only natural for people to prefer the Mazda, but for those of you looking for less biased feedback/comparison between the CX-9 and the Enclave, check out the following links:

http://forums.thecarlounge.net/zerothread?id=3322269
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=708973
http://www.flyertalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=715523

Last edited:
The Lambdas might be nice vehicles, but so far, in every head to head comparison I have read between that platform and the CX-9, the CX-9 has come out on top. That is not being bias, just stating the current facts. We all (well, most of us....cue xxxxxxx) love our CX-9s, and our opinions probably lean toward the Mazda's, but the reviewers in these publications have no owner's loyalty swaying their opinions.

You are conveniently forgetting Consumer Reports testing where the Outlook easily outscored the CX-9. Besides, there have only been 2 other comparison tests that I'm aware of (MotorTrend and the one you posted above), neither of which included the aforementioned Enclave which is significantly better equipped and more refined than the 2007 Outlook/Acadia (e.g. articulating HID headlights, backup camera, remote start fob with display that shows you tire pressure, fuel tank level, climate control settings, etc., triple door seals, acoustic windshield, higher quality interior materials, etc.)

Besides, if you actually look at the comparison you posted a link to, the Acadia won more categories than the CX-9. It wasn't like the CX-9 won by a landslide. Truth be told, it boils down to personal preference, so I don't fault you for preferring the CX-9....afterall, it is a very good vehicle. I just take issue with people immediately dismissing the Acadia/Outlook/Enclave as junk.

Last edited:
Okay, I have to chime in. As someone who is considering both the CX-9 and Enclave, I have to say the Lambdas are far from "piles of junk". You and satwar seem to be operating under the delusion that this is 1995 and Japanese vehicles are still statistically much more reliable than their American counterparts. The difference is very small according to Consumer Reports (although it depends on the make/model). Mazdas haven't typically had very high reliability, so you need to get off your high horse. (In fact, some sources such as JD Powers give Buick higher marks).

As for the bad reviews on the Edge/MKX, they have nothing to do w/ the Outlook/Acadia/Enclave. The Ford/Lincoln have poorly sorted suspensions, very little interior space given their weight (no 3rd row), and subpar interior fit and finish. While they do share a transmission, the programming is different. GM has issued 1 update for it already, but admits it's not perfect just yet and is planning another update next month which should cure the shifting issues some owners are experiencing. FWIW, GM supplies BMW w/ their auto transmissions, so they are very knowledgeable in this area. They clearly tuned the transmission to attain the best fuel economy numbers, which hurt performance slightly.

Regarding the Enclave's "terrible handling" and slow acceleration, I haven't seen any figures/comparison tests for the Enclave yet. Care to post your source? The skidpad performance results between the two is nearly identical (Acadia vs. CX-9) according to the MotorTrand test. In terms of braking, Car and Driver measured 167' in 70-0 braking for the Acadia, which is phenomenal. It scored less well in the MotorTrend test, but again, the Outlook did better overall in braking than the CX-9 in the Consumer Reports test, so I would hesitate to say the CX-9 is superior. As for accleration, the difference in acceleration figures for the CX-9 & Acadia from 0-60mph & in the 1/4 mile was .1 of a second in MotorTrend! The difference was the same in Consumer Reports test of the Outlook vs. CX-9. Not a significant difference and something that won't be an issue in 2009 when the Lambda triplets get Direct Injection and around 300hp.

Where does the Acadia/Outlook/Enclave really shine? Refinement. They are more quiet (especially the Buick), ride smoother, and are able to haul more people and cargo. I'm sorry you're so biased your unable to see the facts. The CX-9 is a great vehicle, but it's not the only viable choice out there. For the record, I realize this is a CX-9 forum, so it's only natural for people to prefer the Mazda, but for those of you looking for less biased feedback/comparison between the CX-9 and the Enclave, check out the following links:

http://forums.thecarlounge.net/zerothread?id=3322269
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=708973
http://www.flyertalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=715523

Any chance you work for GM? Sounds similar to most GM apologists.

Have you driven the Acadia/Enclave and the CX-9? Most on this board have when buying our CX-9s. The Acadia/Enclave weren't much different than a new Tahoe. Was the 3rd row more comfortable, yes, it was. Am I driving from the 3rd row though?? No. I'm driving the car. For times when we do need the 3rd row, kids fit fine and I've had 2 adults back there with no issues as well. If you want a vehicle that holds 7-8 people comfortably, hauls as much crap as you can put into it and tow a boat, go buy a Surburban, Expedition or Excursion. Does the Acadia have more room behind the 3rd row, yes, but not that much that it was noticable. I've been able to fit golf clubs and suitcases behind the 3rd row with no problem.

If you sit in the driver seat in a GT CX-9 and then a Acadia/Enclave, there's NO comparison. GM still has their infamous plastic look. I don't care how much "refinement" or "quietness" you claim there is, what tests show that? You say you want test results on handling and acceleration. The Enclave is heavier than the other 2 lambdas and acceleration is average in those models. The Motor Trend CX-9 acceleration test is the slowest time out there. Most other tests have the CX-9 0-60 anywhere from 7.7-7.9. Car and Driver I believe got 7.7 from what I remember.

If you think the software updates are going to fix that Ford/GM 6 speed auto, then maybe you are the dillusional one. The Asin sourced 6spd in the CX-9/Veracruz is far above the GM unit. The fact there is in the articles, read the magazines, writeups. As I mentioned before, I haven't seen one comparison article where the Acadia/Enclave comes out on top.

The Enclave should be in an article soon, but going against competitors like Mercedes, Audi, etc. You think they are going to win that comparo? The Enclave is more expensive than the CX-9.

Who cares about 2009?? The 08 CX-9 will have 270hp with less weight than the Lambdas and Direct Injection to soon follow as well. The point will be mute when GM finally gets around to producing a 21st century engine.

Any chance you work for GM? Sounds similar to most GM apologists.

No, I don't work for GM. In fact, I've never even owned a GM vehicle, but thanks for showing you need to resort to personal attacks instead of just substantiating your claims.

Have you driven the Acadia/Enclave and the CX-9? Most on this board have when buying our CX-9s. The Acadia/Enclave weren't much different than a new Tahoe. Was the 3rd row more comfortable, yes, it was. Am I driving from the 3rd row though?? No. I'm driving the car. For times when we do need the 3rd row, kids fit fine and I've had 2 adults back there with no issues as well. If you want a vehicle that holds 7-8 people comfortably, hauls as much crap as you can put into it and tow a boat, go buy a Surburban, Expedition or Excursion. Does the Acadia have more room behind the 3rd row, yes, but not that much that it was noticable. I've been able to fit golf clubs and suitcases behind the 3rd row with no problem.

Yes, I have driven them both extensively. I realize the CX-9 is a bit more nimble/fun to drive (it should be, it's smaller and lighter), but these are family vehicles, not sports sedans/coupes. Passenger and cargo space are probably of greater importance to most people out there. Judging by the sales numbers of the Acadia vs. the CX-9, I'd say many agree.

If you sit in the driver seat in a GT CX-9 and then a Acadia/Enclave, there's NO comparison. GM still has their infamous plastic look. I don't care how much "refinement" or "quietness" you claim there is, what tests show that? You say you want test results on handling and acceleration. The Enclave is heavier than the other 2 lambdas and acceleration is average in those models. The Motor Trend CX-9 acceleration test is the slowest time out there. Most other tests have the CX-9 0-60 anywhere from 7.7-7.9. Car and Driver I believe got 7.7 from what I remember.

Most people seem to quite like the interiors of the Lambdas, but everyone is entitled to their opinion. The CX-9 interior isn't so special either. I still see cheap looking plastic covering the pillars and center console. Neither are an Audi in terms of interior quality. As for acceleration, C&D got 7.8 seconds 0-60 for a FWD CX-9, they also managed 8.1 seconds for a loaded AWD Acadia, so big deal. FWIW, Consumer Reports times were almost identical to the MotorTrend test for both the Acadia and CX-9.

If you think the software updates are going to fix that Ford/GM 6 speed auto, then maybe you are the dillusional one. The Asin sourced 6spd in the CX-9/Veracruz is far above the GM unit. The fact there is in the articles, read the magazines, writeups. As I mentioned before, I haven't seen one comparison article where the Acadia/Enclave comes out on top.

Obviously you don't know that much about modern automobiles. Everything is electronically controled (e.g. drive by wire). If I were you I would be more worried about your Ford-sourced engine than I would GM's 6-speed auto. As for comparisons, again, check Consumer Reports and get back to me.

The Enclave should be in an article soon, but going against competitors like Mercedes, Audi, etc. You think they are going to win that comparo? The Enclave is more expensive than the CX-9.

The Enclave doesn't compete w/ those vehicles (that's Cadillac). Maybe the Acura MDX, but the rest of the makes you listed are priced MUCH higher than the Enclave. The Enclave is actually only a few hundred dollars more than a comparable Acadia, and $2-4k more than the CX-9. Not a huge difference IMO

Who cares about 2009?? The 08 CX-9 will have 270hp with less weight than the Lambdas and Direct Injection to soon follow as well. The point will be mute when GM finally gets around to producing a 21st century engine.

The point is that, in roughly 12 months time, GM will have an engine that gets better fuel economy and provides quicker acceleration than the CX-9's engine. Even the modest increase for 2008 won't be enough to make the lighter CX-9 quicker and no one really knows for sure when exactly Mazda will incorporate DI.

Last edited:
Well one thing is that it looks like the engine in the 08 CX-9 may not be the ford engine that currently is in the 07.

HIROSHIMA, Japan—Mazda Motor Corporation has announced the introduction of mixed model production on the engine parts machining line at its engine plant located near Mazda’s headquarters in Hiroshima. The engine plant manufactures the new 3.7-liter V6 engine and the current in-line four-cylinder 1.8- to 2.3-liter MZR series gasoline engines. Production of V6 engines resumed in May, nearly four years since their manufacture ceased in August 2003. Mazda announced in North America today that the new V6 engine will be mounted in the 2008 CX-9 that is scheduled to go on sale this summer

I was being somewhat sarcastic about working for GM, but obviously it got your panties in a bunch. Sheesh.

The topic of the CX-9 being "smaller" than the Acadia/Enclave has been beaten to death. The 2" difference in length doesn't make it that much "smaller" than the Lambdas. If you don't consider almost a half a second difference in 0-60 a "BIG DEAL", then I don't consider 2" at most in certain dimensions a "BIG DEAL" either. Size wise, the CX-9 and Lambdas are pretty much the same. As I mentioned before, I'm not sitting in the 3rd row and most kids have no complaints.

If passenger and cargo space are such a concern and driving experience is nothing, then why have people stopped buying Full Size SUVS, like Tahoes, Surburbans, Expeditions, Excursions, etc?? Besides the poor gas mileage, the backlash against poor handling, acceleration and driving experience has pushed consumers to CUVs.

How about this fact, in 2006, more CUVs were sold than SUVs. Obviously people are moving towards a better driving experience along with better gas mileage. I guess that has nothing to do with consumer's decisions in comparing the Lambdas to the CX-9 or Acura MDX. I guess the Magazines didn't care either (dunno)

Maybe you should look at the # of GMC dealerships compared to Mazda dealerships. GM will sell more cars, plain and simple than Mazda. No one will argue that. That's like saying Ford sells more F series trucks than Toyota has sold their new Tundra. Does that make the Tundra a piece of crap or a bad truck? I'll admit, I've always been a Ford fan, but the Tundra is a very nice truck and the Engine is one to die for. Nissan's 5.6 engine in the Titan is a beast as well. Just because a model sells more, doesn't always mean it's "Better".

Last I looked, the Ford sourced Duratec was on Ward's Top 10 engine list. I guess I missed GM's V6 on that list. I'm not worried one bit about the Duratec motor. I'm actually surprised GM didn't put a pushrod engine in the Lambdas, they do in every other car. You are entitled to your opinion, but saying the GM 6speed is a good unit has no facts to back it up whatsoever. Every article has trashed it as I mentioned. The Aisin sourced 6speed has been praised numerous times.

What does Consumer Reports have to do with anything? Do you really think they know how to test drive cars? I'll stick with C&D, Motor Trend and the rest of the standard car crew. If I want to know which washing machine to buy, I'll go to Consumer Reports maybe.

As for "drive by wire" throttle control, you won't be finding that in any standard car/suv/cuv these days. That feature is still used by only certain makes, BMW, Audi, Ferrari, etc. Will it eventually show up, yes, but for now, they still use the standard throttle body and TPS sensor.

As I've said before, the Ford/Mazda engines will also have DI in a year's time. They were rumored to even have them for 08. Again, don't really see your point if both will have DI. Maybe GM should concentrate more on getting rid of their pushrod motors instead of worrying about DI motors.

If you like your Enclave or Acadia so much, why not go converse with the others who bought those then? All of us here enjoy our CX-9s. Is every car perfect, no, of course not, but based on the CURRENT choice of CUVs out there right now, we all felt the CX-9 was the best value and best option.

Some of us were simply responding to one poster who has continually trashed the CX-9 for a unique seat defect that should have been handled better by Mazda.

I could go one by one and address each of your statements, but what's the point? You obviously love your CX-9, and for the record, I never stated you shouldn't. I never once called it a steaming pile of junk and carried on ad nauseum about how inferior it is. All I did was offer up an opinion that even though the CX-9 is nice, it's not the only viable choice out there for consumers. It's obvious you are the one that has issues w/ GM, so I can see why you're so unwilling to objectively look at their newer vehicles such as the Lambdas.

FWIW, I've lurked on here for a few months to gather info. and feedback on the CX-9 since I am considering getting one, but didn't join until today. IMO, you represent everything that is wrong with this forum and are likely part of the reason why so few people post on here. Look at Stranger, he posts about his seat problem and he gets bashed to no end. God forbid someone say something even remotely negative about the infallable CX-9 around here.

Anyway, enjoy your CX-9. I sure hope I don't run into any CX-9 owners on the road if I end up getting the Enclave. I now know better than to try to keep up with them in the twisties. Even though MT says they have the same slalom/skidpad figures, I'll have to realize I just drive a crappy GM that will probably spin out of control or roll over if driven with even the least bit of aggression. I'll also excercise caution when attempting to pass one on the road due to the horrible GM transmission.....afterall, that .1 second difference 0-60 & in the 1/4 mile really does make a HUGE difference.

I could go one by one and address each of your statements, but what's the point? You obviously love your CX-9, and for the record, I never stated you shouldn't. I never once called it a steaming pile of junk and carried on ad nauseum about how inferior it is. All I did was offer up an opinion that even though the CX-9 is nice, it's not the only viable choice out there for consumers. It's obvious you are the one that has issues w/ GM, so I can see why you're so unwilling to objectively look at their newer vehicles such as the Lambdas.

FWIW, I've lurked on here for a few months to gather info. and feedback on the CX-9 since I am considering getting one, but didn't join until today. IMO, you represent everything that is wrong with this forum and are likely part of the reason why so few people post on here. Look at Stranger, he posts about his seat problem and he gets bashed to no end. God forbid someone say something even remotely negative about the infallable CX-9 around here.

Anyway, enjoy your CX-9. I sure hope I don't run into any CX-9 owners on the road if I end up getting the Enclave. I now know better than to try to keep up with them in the twisties. Even though MT says they have the same slalom/skidpad figures, I'll have to realize I just drive a crappy GM that will probably spin out of control or roll over if driven with even the least bit of aggression. I'll also excercise caution when attempting to pass one on the road due to the horrible GM transmission.....afterall, that .1 second difference 0-60 & in the 1/4 mile really does make a HUGE difference.

Funny how I'm what's wrong with this board. How so? Because we respond to a poster that continually bashes a car here for nothing more than a manufacturing defect in a seat? All of us do believe him and his seat problems and feel that Mazda should have handled it differently. However, most of us are tired of him going on and on about how the CX-9 is the worst car ever and how it was a mistake, blah blah. The seat was a problem, we get that.

I appreciate the sarcasm, but like I said, this is a CX-9 forum. Why would people interested in the Lambdas want to post here? I would think they would stick with the others who bought the Acadia/Enclave for opinions/reviews.

Enjoy your Enclave if you do decide to buy it. Let's just hope the quality of it is much better than previous GM Suvs, mainly the Trailblazer/Envoy model. From the first impressions, it seems to be.

By the way, I must not type very well, but did note that we DID go look at the Acadia and Enclave when comparison shopping. I'm an American car fan, and wanted to like the Edge/Acadia, etc, but after seeing the price, the drive, the interior, etc, I came away very disappointed in the latest efforts. Are there things I like about other CUVs besides the CX-9, yes, very much so. The Veracruz from Hyundai has a ton of nice features, some the CX-9 doesn't have.

Who knows, I'll probably lose the stoplight war to the GMs any way, as they will just drop a 6 or 7L engine in to enhance performance in the upcoming years. :confused:

I have driven the Cx-9 and the Acadia, both are great vehicles, but i am going with the Cx-9. I have had plenty of GM cars in the past, and have grown tired of their slow shifting transmissions, and straining engines. I am in the minority when I say that I like the look of the Acadia better than the CX-9, but the quality of the interior and the superior drivetrain coupled with better handling are going to make my decision for me. For others the tranny and engine might be just fine.
As for Buick being at the top of the JD power list, I submit it is due to whom they cater to, the elderly, who love their floating boats. They are the last division catering to the land boat crowd. I love the elderly, but I wouldn't let them pick out my woman, cars, or electronics. Not to say that I don't like the Enclave, just a little too much wood for my taste.
As for Hyundai excelling in the JD power rating, it doesn't take much to impress people who last week were driving a Escort.

I find it silly that me posting a comment directly related to the topic about my "opinion" of the CX-9 vs. the Enclave is some how bashing the CX-9 ( a vehicle that I own ), but bashing the GM products in an irrational manner is completely acceptable to poof100. It is obvious that he only want to hear ( or read ) what he wants to hear and the truth is of not concern.

It is obvious that he is upset that I keep posting about my negative experiance with the CX-9 and about problems that they might experiance if they purchase a CX-9. ( I.E. The NAV system )

Many of the thing ( not all ) are not somthing that you will easly notice in a short test drive. All I am doing is arming people with more information so that they can take a closer look at these issues that might or might not affect them.

P.S. I priced a Buick Enclave with roughly the same options as my CX-9. It's MSPR was only a couple of hundred dollars higher...

I have driven the Cx-9 and the Acadia, both are great vehicles, but i am going with the Cx-9. I have had plenty of GM cars in the past, and have grown tired of their slow shifting transmissions, and straining engines. I am in the minority when I say that I like the look of the Acadia better than the CX-9, but the quality of the interior and the superior drivetrain coupled with better handling are going to make my decision for me. For others the tranny and engine might be just fine.
As for Buick being at the top of the JD power list, I submit it is due to whom they cater to, the elderly, who love their floating boats. They are the last division catering to the land boat crowd. I love the elderly, but I wouldn't let them pick out my woman, cars, or electronics. Not to say that I don't like the Enclave, just a little too much wood for my taste.
As for Hyundai excelling in the JD power rating, it doesn't take much to impress people who last week were driving a Escort.

(rofl)

Now that was some funny s***!!!

............. You and satwar seem to be operating under the delusion that this is 1995 and Japanese vehicles are still statistically much more reliable than their American counterparts. The difference is very small according to Consumer Reports (although it depends on the make/model). Mazdas haven't typically had very high reliability, so you need to get off your high horse.............

[/url]

I support my contrary opinion by quoting from the April 2007 CR Auto Issue about Predicted Reliability (average overall reliability as a percentage better or worse than the average of all cars):

Mazda: + 5 % (variability relatively small, comparable to Audi, Acura, Jaguar)
GMC: - 11 % (roughly twice the variability of Mazda)
Buick: -14 % (roughly 4 times the variability of Mazda)
Pontiac: -16 % (roughly 6 times the variability of Mazda)
Chevrolet: -21 % (roughly 4 times the variability of Mazda)
Saturn: -52% (roughly 4 times the variability of Mazda)
Cadillac: -52 % (roughly 6 times the variability of Mazda)
Hummer: -70 % (negligible variability)

Hence, my concern about the reliability of GM products. I'm not saying they can't do better (God can only help them if they don't), and maybe they are putting in an effort to do better. But when I have to put down serious money (CAN$50,000) for a vehicle, I want to feel assured that it's going to be worth it, and frankly GM doesn't do it for me.

Last edited:
The GM vehicles look and feel considerably larger than the CX-9, which is both good and bad. The big difference is that the upper body of the GM vehicles is more upright and larger. The windows curve in much more on the CX-9, such that at eye level it is tighter. The specs doesn't communicate this sort of thing.

TrueDelta will have reliability results for the Edge, Acadia, and CX-7 next month. No result for the CX-9 yet, too few participants.

The CX-7 has a slightly higher repair rate than the Acadia, which has a higher repair rate than the Edge. Since the CX-9 is related to both the CX-7 and the Edge...

Of course, these are initial repair rates. None of these vehicles has many miles on them. They are also based on raw data, so the final results could be a little different.

I'd like to have results for the CX-9, but this can only happen if more owners sign up and participate.

Last edited:
Back