Mazdaspeed Protege sub/amp rack install....

Benfolio

:
06 Mazda 5 - '01 P71
..... might be coming. I have one that had a crack on the side of the tray but everything still works.

I didn't measure or anything, but I'm assuming it could fit behind the rear seat in place of the storage tray.

Any thoughts? Suggestions? Comments? Help???

The sub and amp don't sound bad, but that enclosure is pretty heavy, especially loaded, and mounting it in the Mazda5 is probably going to be a PITA. I'd say just save yourself a lot of trouble and build a little MDF box for the sub, and either hide the amp under a seat, or screw it to the box.

I built a box for my MPV. I'd never done something like that before, but it wasn't too hard. Fortunately I have a friend with a table saw, that helped a lot! Anyway, details are in the following posts. I'd just link the thread, but it's got all kinds of chatter back and forth between the build posts.

1. The plan.
2. The Mock-up
3. The costs.
4. Progress
5. Real Progress - wiring.
6. The disaster
7. The Bodge
8. The mounting
9. VICTORY!!

...and this is my "modding the Mini-van thread that all of that came from, if you care, for some reason.

Might get more responses in the protege forum. I don't have a protege so I can only comment on what I know about the 5.

It'll fit above the spare. Had to cut about 2" off the front edge. There will be a small gap on either side though, I'll figure out how to fill it in. This is going to have to replace the rear cargo tray with the tools and things, but the top of the enclosure is carpeted, so it won't look too bad. Oh, and it sticks up a little farther than the rear floor peice that's supposed to go there. I considered using it as a cover for the enclosure, but it's not flat on the underside, and I cringed at the thought of drilling holes in a $200 panel.
I'll leave it up to the wife. If she likes how it looks I'll wire it in. If not I'll put the amp and sub on ebay.

Ah, title threw me. I put my amp under the passenger seat and then used 1 half of the rear space for my sub. I wanted to maximize space. I thought about using the tray somehow, but then didn't want to deal with it in the rain with a flat tire.

Back