I was disappointed with Consumer Reports review

satwar

I should preface my comments by declaring that I'm just watching the crossover market at the current time, preparing myself for the hopefully distant future need for a new vehicle. My main problem with vehicle aging is rust (barring any inherent mechanical faults), since I live in northern Canada and drive relatively low mileage. I currently own a 1996 Nissan Quest minivan (short wheelbase) and am looking for my next vehicle having a crisp driving vehicle , all wheel drive security and good ground clearance for winter driving and rough potholed roads and 3500 lb towing capacity. These criteria along with a desire to having good, but non-trucky looking sheet metal have brought me to the mid-size crossover market, specifically the CX-9.

I should also declare that I am not happy to lose the minivan's easy rear access provided by sliding side doors, tremendous flexibility as both a people carrier (people capacity is not an issue) and cargo hauling capacity. As such I'm looking for a crossover vehicle that stands out of the crowd. The CX-9 seemed to touch on nearly all my criteria and I am looking forward to my first test drive.

I have long awaited what Consumer Reports has to say about the CX-9. I like reading consumer reviews because they often highlight and prepare me for important issues that I might not think about on a test drive if left to my own devices. Unfortunately I was quite disappointed with the Consumer Reports review, it was not the standout review I was hoping for. Apparently what pulled it down in ratings was sub-par braking performance in it's class. In fact the entire vehicle review was rather run-of-the-mill, not that this is such a bad thing in this age of refined and capable crossover vehicles. The only feature that stood out was the transmission, but even that didn't result in higher performance ratings.

In spite of marketing implications, the vehicle design doesn't seem to translate into real world zoom-zoom performance. Not that I'm looking for sports car performance in a crossover, but I'm having a hard time not being disappointed by same class ratings of sub-par braking, modestly sub-par avoidance maneuver, run-of -the mill emergency handling and acceleration.

If fate leads me to purchase a new vehicle, I'd still opt for the CX-9 because the overall design is on the right track for my needs. I hope, however, that Mazda put a little more effort into engineering real world performance in the coming years. It would give the CX-9 the difference it needs to really stand out in it's class. I realize, however, that for any business everything comes down to making a profit. This vehicle is still the best value for me in mid-size CUV class at the current time.

Well,

I have a AWD Grand touring CX-9 and simply cannot recomend it to anyone that is a little larger than average. This vehicle was obviously designed only for small women and kids. ( I know some disagree, but this is my opinion ) I honestly believe that most tall men will not find this vehicle very comfortable. The driver's seat is the most uncomfortable that I have ever had. My little 2005 mariner was better. I have had modified the foam under the seat to simply make it tolerable. However, I have no problem with the brakes. Several test have shown it to have good brakes ( 125ft range ) and some bad brakes ( 140ft range ) . All I can say is that it stoppes quite well for me and does not fade. I did not like the brakes on the Ford Edge/MKX at all ( 150ft+). They were what I would consider bad. Although in hind sight, I really wish I had bough one of them and simply upgraded the brakes. There are already several aftermarkets kit for the Edge and MKX. It would have been much cheaper to get the Edge and spend 2K on brakes upgrades. At least it would have been comfortable....

The CX-9 does have some good points:

1) It handles very good for it's class. ( Why I bough it )

2) It rides good and is reasonable quite. I do not find the 20" wheels to be harsh as some thought.

3) The Bose sound system is excellent.

4) There are plently of tye-down hooks in the cargo area.

5) I Think it looks good...

6) The climate control system work quite well.

7) I like being able to slide the second row seats Forward for more cargo room.

However, there are many negatives as well:

1) The engine is quite weak off the line. It pulls hard in the mid range and then dies off in the top end. This makes merging with the high speed Atlanta traffice difficult. It is difficult to pass. Basically it needs more HP and torque to move it's hefty mass. The new 3.7L for 2008 should help some...

2) Even though it is a big vehicle, it's usable interior space is quite limited. Mazda should have done a better job at giving you more storage inside. The single console box is quite small for this class of vehicle.

3) The rear seat is too low to the floor making it uncomfortable on long trips for adults. I also do not like the rails in the floor that you see infront of the rear seat. It is hard to keep stuff from falling into the cracks.

4) You cannot lock the doors until all of them are shut. This is VERY annoying. You have to stand and wait for everyone to get out and close the door before hitting the lock switch. The door locking/unlocking logic of the three outside switches is a little silly. You cannot open the rear hatch with the FOB or rear switch until you unlock it. However the rear switch will lock all of the doors if ANY doors currently unlocked the first time you press it even if the rear door is currently locked.

5) My knee hits the center console and the dead pedal foot rest is almost under teh brake pedal. I guess it is because the wheel well protrudes so far into the cabin.

6) There is a LOT of wind noise near the top of the driver and passenger door at highway speeds.

7) The mirrors shak a lot while driving. It is a little annoying especially when there is a light reflection in the mirror.

8) There is a bad blind spot one each side of the vehicle. You really should add a little round mirror to the side mirrors.

9) I hit my head on the rear lift gate ( 6'-4" ) I am finally learning to duck...

10) There is very little head room for me even with the seat all the way down and tilted back.

11) The navigation system is pathetic. It's map is very outdated. It is difficult to uses. I have a little Garmin Nuvii 330 and it is far superior in just about evry way. You CANNOT use the Nav system at all when driving even if there is a passenger in the vehicle. The Rear view cammera is nearly usless as it's prespective is very distorted. I rarely use it...

12) It does not come with cross bars on the roof rack???

13) The carpet is very cheap looking and very thin. And you can get any color you want as long as it is black...

14) The second row seats do not fold completely flat...

15) The sotrage area under the rear floor is very small. The one in my little 2005 Marinere was bigger.

16) There are NO side cubby holes in the rear at all???

17) It does not get good gas milage. 15mpg-18mpg is about all it will get in real world driving...

18) Uses the little 1-1/4" towing hitch. I know it is rated for 3500lb, but the 2" is much more versital and there are many attachments that cam make use of it for thing like bike racks.

19) The seat heaters are simply on or off. They pulse on and off making it too hot and too cool at times. WOuld Low, Med, High be too much to ask in a 40K vehicle???

20) There is no trip computer. ( really minor issue )

21) The rear glass does not open so you have to ope the hatch more often. I wonder how long the auto hatch will last...

22) The Manual shift feature is nearly usless. There is nothing sporty about it. There is a long 2-3 Second pause before it will upshift or down shift when you flick the lever. The only thing I can see it will be good for is holding a lower gear to slow a decent in hilly areas.

In case you have not guessed, after about 2500 miles I ABSOLUTELY HATE THIS VEHICLE..... I am an idiot for buying it...

satwar said:
I should preface my comments by declaring that I'm just watching the crossover market at the current time, preparing myself for the hopefully distant future need for a new vehicle. My main problem with vehicle aging is rust (barring any inherent mechanical faults), since I live in northern Canada and drive relatively low mileage. I currently own a 1996 Nissan Quest minivan (short wheelbase) and am looking for my next vehicle having a crisp driving vehicle , all wheel drive security and good ground clearance for winter driving and rough potholed roads and 3500 lb towing capacity. These criteria along with a desire to having good, but non-trucky looking sheet metal have brought me to the mid-size crossover market, specifically the CX-9.

I should also declare that I am not happy to lose the minivan's easy rear access provided by sliding side doors, tremendous flexibility as both a people carrier (people capacity is not an issue) and cargo hauling capacity. As such I'm looking for a crossover vehicle that stands out of the crowd. The CX-9 seemed to touch on nearly all my criteria and I am looking forward to my first test drive.

I have long awaited what Consumer Reports has to say about the CX-9. I like reading consumer reviews because they often highlight and prepare me for important issues that I might not think about on a test drive if left to my own devices. Unfortunately I was quite disappointed with the Consumer Reports review, it was not the standout review I was hoping for. Apparently what pulled it down in ratings was sub-par braking performance in it's class. In fact the entire vehicle review was rather run-of-the-mill, not that this is such a bad thing in this age of refined and capable crossover vehicles. The only feature that stood out was the transmission, but even that didn't result in higher performance ratings.

In spite of marketing implications, the vehicle design doesn't seem to translate into real world zoom-zoom performance. Not that I'm looking for sports car performance in a crossover, but I'm having a hard time not being disappointed by same class ratings of sub-par braking, modestly sub-par avoidance maneuver, run-of -the mill emergency handling and acceleration.

If fate leads me to purchase a new vehicle, I'd still opt for the CX-9 because the overall design is on the right track for my needs. I hope, however, that Mazda put a little more effort into engineering real world performance in the coming years. It would give the CX-9 the difference it needs to really stand out in it's class. I realize, however, that for any business everything comes down to making a profit. This vehicle is still the best value for me in mid-size CUV class at the current time.

I've been reading posts by sranger piss and moan for a month now. OK ... we get it, you're unhappy with your purchase ... deal with it already.

Bottom line is that this guy is in the minority and continually offers his jaded view to seek out others who will commiserate with him.

I've experienced absolutely none of the things this guy complains about, with the exception of gas mileage which could be better.

I'm 6'1", 240 lbs ... never had any of the headroom, legroom, assroom issues he mentions. He complains about adult passenger comfort in the 3rd row on long trips. Are you kidding me? What mid-sized vehicle in this category can claim this? The 3rd row room in the CX-9 is the best in class.

I know 2 friends, 3 co-workers, and countless user reviews who love this vehicle, myself included. I've been driving it for 3 months and can honestly say the experience gets better everyday.

Do your research, weed through the garbage, and take a test drive ... it's MY opinion you won't find a better vehicle with all things considered dollar-for-dollar in class.

stixman6878 said:
I've been reading posts by sranger piss and moan for a month now. OK ... we get it, you're unhappy with your purchase ... deal with it already.

Bottom line is that this guy is in the minority and continually offers his jaded view to seek out others who will commiserate with him.

I've experienced absolutely none of the things this guy complains about, with the exception of gas mileage which could be better.

I'm 6'1", 240 lbs ... never had any of the headroom, legroom, assroom issues he mentions. He complains about adult passenger comfort in the 3rd row on long trips. Are you kidding me? What mid-sized vehicle in this category can claim this? The 3rd row room in the CX-9 is the best in class.

I know 2 friends, 3 co-workers, and countless user reviews who love this vehicle, myself included. I've been driving it for 3 months and can honestly say the experience gets better everyday.

Do your research, weed through the garbage, and take a test drive ... it's MY opinion you won't find a better vehicle with all things considered dollar-for-dollar in class.

I guess only positive ( not honest ) posts are allowed here?

P.S. there are more dissatisfied people here than you think. Many have emailed me and simply do not whish to post due to posts like yours...

Here's what I thought of the CX-9. I thought I'd point you to my review because you said you're coming from a mini-van, and you mentioned the utility factor of the sliding side doors. I personally found the CX-9 to lack pretty much all of the utility of a mini-van.

So, if you want the long version (really long) of my view of the CX-9, click the link above. If you want the short version:

1. Too big outside, too small inside.
2. Too hard to get in and out of.
3. Style over substance, in nearly every department.
4. Too damned much money.
5. All said, mini-vans are better. There, I said it.

I have heard a lot of good things and bad things about the CX 9...I am going to get either the CX 9 or the EDGE. The only statement that I can make is that I have NOT heard much negatives about the EDGE and it happens to have an option that I think is terrofic (I have it now in my 05 EXPEDITION) and that is the back up sensors...I find them very helpful and does not replace looking back but aids you in backing up.
As with everything there are always good things and bad things about evrything we buy. Let's be happy with our decisions,enjoy our CUV and let life take its course,if the CX 9 is bad then time will prove those who dislike the vehicle were right.But in the mean time lets all enjoy our spended hard earn money...

sranger said:
Well,

I have a AWD Grand touring CX-9 and simply cannot recomend it to anyone that is a little larger than average........after about 2500 miles I ABSOLUTELY HATE THIS VEHICLE..... I am an idiot for buying it...

Sorry to hear your ownership experience has turned into such a nightmare for you. You certainly have identified a lot of issues that could be better and perhaps Mazda will pick up on some of them as the model evolves in time. I do think, however, that you are dwelling awfully hard on looking for negative aspects of your vehicle. By their very nature, all mass produced vehicles will have shortcomings and as long as they are not life threatening I learn to live with them. The challenge is to learn as much as you can before you buy, which is why forums are so helpful, you hear both the good and the bad. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

I did follow your thread about driver seat comfort and have put it on my test drive list to carefully evaluate.

sranger said:
Well,

1) It handles very good for it's class. ( Why I bough it )...

...22) The Manual shift feature is nearly usless. There is nothing sporty about it. There is a long 2-3 Second pause before it will upshift or down shift when you flick the lever. The only thing I can see it will be good for is holding a lower gear to slow a decent in hilly areas.

In case you have not guessed, after about 2500 miles I ABSOLUTELY HATE THIS VEHICLE..... I am an idiot for buying it...

Holy s*** dude... I thought I was verbose! Do you realize you made 22 points here? LMAO That's just insanity!! haha

For what it's worth... I think both the CX-7 & 9 are sweet rides. Definitely not for me but I've heard nothing but great things.

Yes I'm afraid I agree, that crossovers have a way to evolve yet in the utility department. There are great ways I use my minivan that a crossover will not do, which is why I'm hanging on to my old minivan as long as possible.

My major problem with the current minivan design format is that it has gotten too big for my needs. I'm still satisfied that the CX-9 comes closest to fullfilling my needs in a new vehicle.

Foolish said:
Here's what I thought of the CX-9. I thought I'd point you to my review because you said you're coming from a mini-van, and you mentioned the utility factor of the sliding side doors. I personally found the CX-9 to lack pretty much all of the utility of a mini-van.

So, if you want the long version (really long) of my view of the CX-9, click the link above. If you want the short version:

1. Too big outside, too small inside.
2. Too hard to get in and out of.
3. Style over substance, in nearly every department.
4. Too damned much money.
5. All said, mini-vans are better. There, I said it.

sranger,

Sell your vehicle and move on.

There are things to not like about any vehicle, and I may be in the minority, but I think my CX-9 is great!

sranger said:
Well,

I have a AWD Grand touring CX-9 and simply cannot recomend it to anyone that is a little larger than average. This vehicle was obviously designed only for small women and kids. ( I know some disagree, but this is my opinion ) I honestly believe that most tall men will not find this vehicle very comfortable. The driver's seat is the most uncomfortable that I have ever had. My little 2005 mariner was better. I have had modified the foam under the seat to simply make it tolerable. However, I have no problem with the brakes. Several test have shown it to have good brakes ( 125ft range ) and some bad brakes ( 140ft range ) . All I can say is that it stoppes quite well for me and does not fade. I did not like the brakes on the Ford Edge/MKX at all ( 150ft+). They were what I would consider bad. Although in hind sight, I really wish I had bough one of them and simply upgraded the brakes. There are already several aftermarkets kit for the Edge and MKX. It would have been much cheaper to get the Edge and spend 2K on brakes upgrades. At least it would have been comfortable....

2) It rides good and is reasonable quite. I do not find the 20" wheels to be harsh as some thought.

1) The engine is quite weak off the line. It pulls hard in the mid range and then dies off in the top end. This makes merging with the high speed Atlanta traffice difficult. It is difficult to pass. Basically it needs more HP and torque to move it's hefty mass. The new 3.7L for 2008 should help some...

2) Even though it is a big vehicle, it's usable interior space is quite limited. Mazda should have done a better job at giving you more storage inside. The single console box is quite small for this class of vehicle.

3) The rear seat is too low to the floor making it uncomfortable on long trips for adults. I also do not like the rails in the floor that you see infront of the rear seat. It is hard to keep stuff from falling into the cracks.

4) You cannot lock the doors until all of them are shut. This is VERY annoying. You have to stand and wait for everyone to get out and close the door before hitting the lock switch. The door locking/unlocking logic of the three outside switches is a little silly. You cannot open the rear hatch with the FOB or rear switch until you unlock it. However the rear switch will lock all of the doors if ANY doors currently unlocked the first time you press it even if the rear door is currently locked.

5) My knee hits the center console and the dead pedal foot rest is almost under teh brake pedal. I guess it is because the wheel well protrudes so far into the cabin.

6) There is a LOT of wind noise near the top of the driver and passenger door at highway speeds.

7) The mirrors shak a lot while driving. It is a little annoying especially when there is a light reflection in the mirror.

8) There is a bad blind spot one each side of the vehicle. You really should add a little round mirror to the side mirrors.

9) I hit my head on the rear lift gate ( 6'-4" ) I am finally learning to duck...

10) There is very little head room for me even with the seat all the way down and tilted back.

11) The navigation system is pathetic. It's map is very outdated. It is difficult to uses. I have a little Garmin Nuvii 330 and it is far superior in just about evry way. You CANNOT use the Nav system at all when driving even if there is a passenger in the vehicle. The Rear view cammera is nearly usless as it's prespective is very distorted. I rarely use it...

13) The carpet is very cheap looking and very thin. And you can get any color you want as long as it is black...

15) The sotrage area under the rear floor is very small. The one in my little 2005 Marinere was bigger.

17) It does not get good gas milage. 15mpg-18mpg is about all it will get in real world driving...

18) Uses the little 1-1/4" towing hitch. I know it is rated for 3500lb, but the 2" is much more versital and there are many attachments that cam make use of it for thing like bike racks.

19) The seat heaters are simply on or off. They pulse on and off making it too hot and too cool at times. WOuld Low, Med, High be too much to ask in a 40K vehicle???

21) The rear glass does not open so you have to ope the hatch more often. I wonder how long the auto hatch will last...

22) The Manual shift feature is nearly usless. There is nothing sporty about it. There is a long 2-3 Second pause before it will upshift or down shift when you flick the lever. The only thing I can see it will be good for is holding a lower gear to slow a decent in hilly areas.

blind spots can always be taken cared of with convex mirrors imported from overseas :p

sranger said:
Well,

Really, Lots of cars have this so you DON'T lock your keys in the car, LOTS of them. And really waiting for everyone to get out of the car is going to ruin the rest of your day

Like a 3 dollar add on at pep boys?
Find a lift gate that you wont hit your head on and buy that SUV! I would find that quite hard given your size
Again given your size, very hard to find a car like this that you will just have gobs of head room and leg room.
As you can ask many, Factory NAV units are not great.
It's an option.

Again, really nit picking.
Your Mercury seated 5 this car seats 7, You give up some Space in the back for those extra seats you know.
Interesting, did they hide the 2nd row doors from you at the dealer?

Well, this is not CX-9 exclusive, and certainly not a problem for most.
Lets not forget this is still an auto tranny
Some of your arguments are just so nit picking and really SELL THE DAMN CAR!!!!! If you're so unhappy. And most of the things you mention seem like oversights by you, like the lack of door pockets for the 2nd row, Rear cargo area stuff etc...

Last edited:
I fully agree with Satwar. I don't even buy an MP3 player without researching the hell out of it. I can't imagine buying a $40k vehicle without A) a ton of personal resarch B) reading up on what others think and C) a THOUROUGH test drive.

Most of the negatives Sranger listed could have easily been discovered during a testdrive. Part of me questions whether he even went on one! I mean... was the seat comfortable enough then? Were your knees hitting the center console when you testdrove it or did it magically enlarge after you bought it? lol

I know, from experience, that that sort of thing is a deal breaker. I was ready to go buy an MS3 but, after the testdrive, found there to be very little room for my (extra wide) foot. It was literally rubbing up against the center console everytime I pressed the gas. (very annoying indeed)

As Satwar said.. there are certain things we can live with and others we cannot. Going into a testdrive with that in mind will virtually eliminate any possible buyer's remorse later on.

sranger said:

Sell it and buy a tundra double cab. or better yet and F-250 super duty.
I like mine and you have only to put a cap on it and it will kick the s*** out of any little crossover in the utility deparment

CHICO2003 said:
I fully agree with Satwar. I don't even buy an MP3 player without researching the hell out of it. I can't imagine buying a $40k vehicle without A) a ton of personal resarch B) reading up on what others think and C) a THOUROUGH test drive.

Most of the negatives Sranger listed could have easily been discovered during a testdrive. Part of me questions whether he even went on one! I mean... was the seat comfortable enough then? Were your knees hitting the center console when you testdrove it or did it magically enlarge after you bought it? lol

I know, from experience, that that sort of thing is a deal breaker. I was ready to go buy an MS3 but, after the testdrive, found there to be very little room for my (extra wide) foot. It was literally rubbing up against the center console everytime I pressed the gas. (very annoying indeed)

As Satwar said.. there are certain things we can live with and others we cannot. Going into a testdrive with that in mind will virtually eliminate any possible buyer's remorse later on.

To answer your questions, I did research and test vehicles for several months before I decided on the CX-9. I admit that many of the negatives that I posted are not deal breakers. They are nit picking, but they also add up. I was aware of the limited storage before I bought it. I don't really need the storage because I use the vehicle as my company car. I primarily use it to haul demo/service equipment around and occasionally take clients out to lunch and dinner. People with kids might find it more of an issue. I have a 2005 Mustang GT that I drive for most personal use.

I listed these issue because other people might find them more important than I did. I bough the CX-9 because I like the way it handles. I still think it is the best in class at handling. I also like the stereo. When you spend a lot of time in a car a good stereo is a big plus. I also thought it would be comfortable. That were I was simply wrong.

I did test drive the CX-9 on three different occasions before I bought it. There are issues that you cannot find out in a 30 min test drive. Seat comfort was one of them. Initially I found the seat to be comfortable. It was not until I had driven it two or three times for more than an hour each before I notice the problem. I spend about 4-6hr a day in the car. In other words it took several long trips before I began to notice the sore spots on my leg and hips. It is NOT something that you would notice in a test drive. No other vehicle I have ever owned ( I have owned about 20 ) did this to me so I admit that I was not looking for the issue on my test drives. It is the constant pressure over time that causes the problem. I suspect the people who spend less time in the vehicle may never notice the issue even if they are a wide and I am. As for my knee hitting, I did notice it on the test drive and I can live with it. Again I simply added it to the list so other people can decide for themselves if it is a big issue or not. I am big enough that I have to accept some compromises on comfort in any vehicle that I drive. The most comfortable vehicle that I ever drove was a Ford F150 Pickup. Unfortunately, our company auto plan does not allow pickups ( even the crew cabs )

There is no way I could have notices how bad the maps are in the navigation system until I started trying to use it in the outlying areas. It worked fine around the dealership.

As for selling it all I can say is that I would love to. However, the best offer I have gotten for it is 30K. I do not want to lose 5K on it right now. I get a monthly auto expense that is higher than the monthly depreciation on the vehicle. Again my #1 complaint was a sore rear and legs. That was not tolerable to me. By modifying the cushion, I have solved that issue. I can live with the other annoying things. I am going to get the dealer to active the auto lock feature. This should solve the annoying door locking sequence. I am also going to modify the wind deflector in the sunroof. The shape causes a lot of wind noise when the roof is open. Using some modeling clay, I was able to find a shape that was much more quite. I will be making a replacement out of UHMW material ( a type of plastic ).

I realize that people get mad when you say something negative about a vehicle that they just bought, but these are my true thoughts about the CX-9. I think it is important that people are allowed to hear all opinions about a vehicle before they spend $35K-40K.

No one is getting mad its just the points that you bring up are simply things you forgot and didn't notice about the CUV on the test drive, Not things that make the CX-9 a bad crossover. You seem SO unhappy that its hard to believe 5K would keep you from selling it.

CX-7's=LOVE said:
No one is getting mad its just the points that you bring up are simply things you forgot and didn't notice about the CUV on the test drive, Not things that make the CX-9 a bad crossover. You seem SO unhappy that its hard to believe 5K would keep you from selling it.

Very true. Most of his complaints are personal to him and not necessarily everyone else's. FWIW, we've had our CX-9 since the 1st of February and have no issues with it other than accessories availability (or lack of it). My family of five just got back from a 2200 mile vacation with a rooftop carrier driving through the Smoky Mountains. Coming off a Honda Odyssey, the CX-9 was absolutely a blast to drive. I never even got tired and did 90% of the driving. My wife was wondering what was going on. The 13 and 14 year old girls rode in the 3rd row seats and never complained. Our last tank of fuel, driving 70-80 mph, 455 miles and filled up 18.1 gallons. Folks, thats 25 MPG with an 18 cubic foot rooftop carrier on top of the car. Passing was never an issue and the brakes were more than capable. BTW, my other vehicle is a VW Touareg V10 TDI so I know about power and torque. The brakes on the V10 are 6 piston Brembo calipers and the CX-9 seems to stop very well in comparison.

Let's PLEASE stop jumping on sranger. We all have things that just annoy the sh-- out of us! My pet peeve seems to be the lack of an isolation transformer on the Aux in (way too many posts on another thread!). It's already solved with a very simple purchase of a $15 part, but still annoying!

I am 6'3 and 185lb. The CX-9 fits me very well, with the usual exception of limited headroom with the sunroof. I usually don't purchase sunroofs for exactly this reason, but it comes bundled with the (incredibly good) Bose audio system, which I just couldn't live without :)

I did not purchase the nav system because they tend to get out of date after a few years (or sooner). I can buy quite a few hand-held units for the same price, and now Sprint is offering the service on my cell phone.

For a number of years, I had been planning to buy the Honda Pilot as my next vehicle. However, when the new crop of CUV's came out, I test drove a number of them and loved the CX-9. I enjoy driving it every chance I get (2-3hrs / day). It handles amazingly well for something that big, it's very comfortable (for me), the Bose system sounds great, and yes, it looks good too.

sranger said:
To answer your questions, I did research and test vehicles for several months before I decided on the CX-9....before they spend $35K-40K.

One of your points (I think it was #623... or 10) was that there wasn't enough headroom. I can maybe buy the fact that the seat was comfortable on the testdrive but, over a long stretch, wasn't quite... but the headroom? does the vehicle shrink in size as you drive it? or maybe your torso grows.

your point about some of that laundry list of negatives you wrot either not being a deal-breaker... or not even being something that bothers YOU is clear. After all.. you're looking out for those who might have a problem with those things. Your problem is how you started and ended. (basically saying the vechicle sucks in every way and that you seriously regret buying it.) that leads people to think all of those negatives DO affect you.

Anywayz... since nobody else seems to have an issue with the seat comfort, I'd recommend you see a (good) chiropractor. I'm not trying to be funny... a disc might be misalligned or something. I see mine every week (for an adjustment) and can't tell you how much better I feel inside and out. Who knows? a couple trips to the chiropractor and maybe you'll be singin a different tune.

l-miwa said:
I did not purchase the nav system because they tend to get out of date after a few years (or sooner). I can buy quite a few hand-held units for the same price, and now Sprint is offering the service on my cell phone.

After buying the Pioneer AVIC D3 below, I doubt I could ever A) get a "factory" unit or B) use one of those handhelds.

I tried out my friends nav on his new G35 and it didn't even compare. This thing has bluetooth capability (hands free calling), sirius/xm radio, rear backup camera & ipod hookup. I can watch dvds (either via disc or via my ipod) while I drive (can't say that for any factor units) Your point about them going out of date... if it's a dvd based unit like mine, all you need is an updated disc.

the handhelds are good for those who don't have a double-din opening. for those that do, buying an aftermarket unit like mine (all together it came out to a little less than a grand) is the way to go. nothing better than an indash unit for ease of use and visibility. combine all the other features it gives you and it's well worth the (with most of those handhelds costing around $500) extra $500.

Pioneer-AVIC-D3.jpg

Back