Clicking sound when turning left.

:
Mazda 5 GT
Ouch! Mazda5 2006 with less than 10,000 km. Already I'm getting clicking sound coming off the axle/transmission area when doing left turns. Click..click.. click.. almost resembles 1 click per wheel revolution.

I jacked up the car (both front wheel off the ground), started and put
in 1st gear, steered to the left, then to the right... NO 'clicking sound'.
(of course the axle is stretched and there is no load on the axle with the wheel hanging).

Cannot be the tires because it comes up only when turning left. I hope
its something in the brakes.. lolz.

The sound is similar to a defective drive axle (common with aged frontwheel drive cars).

I guess if you are experiencing the same, you are not alone.

Will take the car to the dealer.

Prolly got a pinhole in it somehow and leaked all the grease out. Make sure you get a whole new axle and NOT just a boot if this is the case.

Benfolio said:
Prolly got a pinhole in it somehow and leaked all the grease out. Make sure you get a whole new axle and NOT just a boot if this is the case.
If this is what happened, wouldn't you be able to see the grease on the underbody of the car or on the ground where car was parked?

olddaddy said:
If this is what happened, wouldn't you be able to see the grease on the underbody of the car or on the ground where car was parked?

Yeah. Unless it got washed off somehow. Might not drip on the ground. Grease is pretty thick. Most likely it will get slung out and bee all over the inside of the wheel and suspension.

olddaddy said:
Perhaps, so long as it didn't happen while you're haulin ass down a highway. ;)

Hi, just an update. The morning I was to bring my m5 to the dealer, I decided to rotate the tire. (front to back and back to front). The clicking sound disappeared. I noticed the following:
1. wheel lug nuts were 'too easy' to remove. although it was torqued (86-90ft lbs) when I mounted it.
2. On the front right shock absorber post, I can see signs of metal being rubbed (shiny surface) although the tire does not show scuff mark on it.

I think the clicking sound was caused by a slightly loose front wheel.

I called the dealer and cancelled the appointment.

I'm happy now. It was my fault afterall. not a factory defect. My Mazda5 feels 'new again'.

I will have my torque wrench calibrated.. lolz.

Back