Towing Package ECU

WaxiP5

:
05 Legacy GT + 03 Protege5
Mazda says that the towing package includes a re-mapped ECU. Does anyone know what exactly was changed and how it affects performance?

WaxiP5 said:
Mazda says that the towing package includes a re-mapped ECU. Does anyone know what exactly was changed and how it affects performance?

As near as I can tell, it just holds the shift points a little longer at lower throttle inputs and it is quicker to downshift than the non-tow equiped vehicles.

I suspect that it also retards the timming a bit in certian situations ( like pullling up a long hill on the highway ) to keep the engine from pinging.

This really bugs me too. What does revised mean? Does it change the shift points and firmness, does it pick lower gears giving higher engine rpm for extra torque, does it change when how and if the torqeconverter locks up? No one can tell me.

Here is an article that talks a little about the CX-9 tow package (2007 model):

http://autobeat.blogspot.com/2007/01/first-drive-2007-mazda-cx-9-previews.html

Linear zoom is attained through Ford’s new corporate 3.5-liter V-6, also found in the Lincoln MKX, Lincoln MKZ, Ford Edge, and Ford Five Hundred. Rated at 263 horsepower and 249 lb-ft of torque, the six will move the 4300-pound CX-9, but, like the MX-5, the CX-9 is the least fun in a straight line. We predict 0-60 times around eight seconds, which would put the CX-9 just behind the segment benchmark Honda Pilot. Those wanting to pull the really fun stuff behind them rather than have all their fun on the way can order a towing package that will up the tow rating of the CX-9 from 2000 to 3500 pounds and includes a transmission cooler, larger cooling fan, and an engine computer recalibrated to recognize when a trailer is attached and adjust transmission shift points.

Back