AWD vs. FWD

BPM

:
2004 Mazda6
Hi guys - new to the forums. I'm excited to purchase a new CX-9 in a few months or when a deal is good enough. Love the car - drove it a few times and it is far superior to the Edge and other similar CUV's I've tested.

I have a question about AWD. I live in north central Ohio where it snows pretty bad maybe 4 or 5 times a winter (I'm not in the infamous Snow Belt). Is purchasing AWD absolutely necessary, given the conditions in my area? I don't drive any more than 7 miles to work each day, so I'm not sure if I can justify it.

Also (forgive my lack of knowledge of these systems), if it's not a full-time AWD system, is gas mileage any better when it's not engaged? I can't see myself taking corners at 50 mph or speeding through the snow, so I'd be led to believe that it would not be engaged most of the time...

Thanks!

You may have already answered your own question. Given your climate and driving style, I'd say no. I have a Mazda5, front drive and it did very well last winter up to a certain amount of snow fall. If I were considering the 9, I'd opt for the FWD, for weight, gas mileage, and cost.

Gerry

For those 5 days a year the weather is bad, you'll save more money (gas + price of AWD) by just buying a set of snow tires. AWD/4WD only gets you going and helps you when you get stuck in a snow bank. As far as stopping goes...AWD does s***... Its too bad that half the people in the snow belt who go barreling down the highway at 50mph in the middle of a blizzard don't realize that until they end up in a ditch.

Do you have AWD now?

Have you needed AWD in the last 5 years?

Do you have to get to work even though 80% of others are happy being snowed in once every few years?

I think it's nice to have but the initial higher cost, gas mileage disadvantage and higher maint. cost is no small hit.

I would think a set of winter tires/wheels would be sufficient.

Oddly enough, I did get snowed in for two days this past winter - work cancelled and all!

I was more concerned with assistance with a larger, heavier vehicle. I drive a Mazda6 now with FWD and I do just fine as long as I drive VERY slow. Our plows here are laughable - it's a small town.

I suppose I really don't need it...

In situations where people get "snowed in", unless you have a truck with a plow with A/T or snow-only tires...you ain't getting out. Even with AWD you should still have snow tires if you drive in any amount of snow. They stick better and reduce the chance of you losing control when you try to stop.

chuyler1 said:
In situations where people get "snowed in", unless you have a truck with a plow with A/T or snow-only tires...you ain't getting out. Even with AWD you should still have snow tires if you drive in any amount of snow. They stick better and reduce the chance of you losing control when you try to stop.
I can attest that CX-9 AWD needs snow/ice tires in the winter. I picked mine up at the end of March and we only had one small snowfall after that. The car slid very easily on all 4 of what I am now going to call "summer all-season stock tires". All my other cars get snow/ice tires, CX-9 needs them too, perhaps even more so due to the weight.

First, let me say that I agree that AWD does absolutely nothing to help with braking.

Second, it does add cost, add complexity, and decrease mileage.

However, given the option, I will probably always choose the AWD version. I live in the Chicago area, where we get a lot of light snow and rain. Having had an AWD Ford Aerostar for over 10 years, I will always drive it when weather conditions are poor. That large van handles much better than our Volvo 850 wagon (FWD) when the pavement is the slightest bit slick. It's not just starting (where it has a huge advantage), but more importantly, when cornering and during emergency maneuvers (those requiring acceleration, not just steering or braking).

It is certainly not a clear decision, and one each person has to weigh for themselves. I would certainly not recommend AWD for someone living in Phoenix, but I would for Chicago.

Hope that helps with your decision!

I live in Atlanta and chose the AWD for three reasons:

1) Better traction in the rain... ( We rarely get snow and it shuts the city down completely when it does snow anyway so snow is not an issue..)

2) I tow a boat and got my FWD only Mariner stuck three times on the boat ramp due to Mud, Slime, and oil.

3) It does cost more and wastes more gas ( 1-2 MPG ) However, it only takes needing ADW one time to justify the cost in my opinion. I am willing to pay more to be better prepaired for unusual conditions. My boss found himself sliding down a hill on a 85 & sunny day due to some lose dirt and gravel left over from home construction. He wound up in a ditch with minor fender and bumper damage. AWD would have completely avoided the accident. My point is, stuff happens even when the weather is good...

Here in Florida it's flat and I don't tow a boat; so FWD works fine for me. However, if I did tow or live in a hilly area prone to rain or snow, AWD would be my choice. You do pay a performance penalty but I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it!

I must agree with sranger, FWD in light snow is fine on flat roads, but AWD is far superior in general on snow and even helps on very wet roads with leaves, etc when Fall first "hits". As pointed out- all you need is one time you wish you had it, and it's worth it. Previous cars of mine we're a BMW, & 2 diff MBenz's ,all RWD and horrible in snow.

listen to sranger!
awd seriously isn't that much worse on your mpg and it is there for you all the time! wet, dirt, snow, anything. and who ever said maintaining awd is cost effective is rediculous, what do you have to maintain? besides the fact that we are talking about a cx9, which im pretty sure has warranty just incase anything goes out, which im pretty sure your awd system wont be the first.

listen to sranger!
awd seriously isn't that much worse on your mpg and it is there for you all the time! wet, dirt, snow, anything. and who ever said maintaining awd is cost effective is rediculous, what do you have to maintain? besides the fact that we are talking about a cx9, which im pretty sure has warranty just incase anything goes out, which im pretty sure your awd system wont be the first.

No one has even mentioned tire maintenance, which I find strange. You'll hate your AWD for one and only one reason. When/If you ever blow a tire and require a new one, or want to put on your spare....you can't! You have to buy all new tires again. I have an 02 Audi A4 Quattro and I was told by American Tires that the tread on all the tires has to be within 10-20% similar wear, or you risk damaging your transmition by one wheel spining more or less. It sorta made sense to me, I guess. True or BS?

AWD - You never know what life throws at you and that AWD will come in handy. You could move to a colder climate...you could be traveling somewhere and find a road that is not paved...it might pour like crazy (El-Nino, Global Warming) who knows...

My CX-9 carries the most precious cargo (wife & kids) and AWD provides the added safety, if and when needed. Besides, the CX-9 runs in FWD mode anyways during good weather & road conditions.

A little extra weight & a little extra gas & a little extra $$...I think...are all WORTH IT, cause you can never know for sure where life will take you in the next 3,4,5 years from now.

Back