My boost gauge install. Write-up w/pics...

07MS6

Banned
I decided to stop waiting for the Top PSI pod to ever get done. I bought an Auto Meter gauge & Auto Meter gauge cup (2 1/6")

First I popped off the defrost vent on the dash. I then zip tied (2 ties) the base of the cup to the vent. I used pliers to pull the ties as tight as possible so there would be no movement. I used the existing holes in the cup base.

I then drilled a hole under where the vent snaps into place. I ran the nylon tubing through the existing hole in the firewall to the BOV & the other end up under the dash up through the hole I made under the vent. I then ran 1 wire for power for the gauge & 1 for ground down through the same hole. I grounded the gauge on 1 of the bolts behind the pedals & ran the power wire to the cig lighter area light wire. I zip tied everything under the dash so it doesnt get in the way.

I used 1/4" barb fittings & a 1/8" barb fitting to hook the nylon tubing up to the line going to the BOV. I have a TSX BOV on the car & that comes w/an extra piece of tubing for the install since the stocker isn't long enough to reach so I did not have to cut the stock line. I simply attached 1 end of the 1/4" fitting to that line & the other end to the stock line. I used a hose clamp on the side w/the stock line to ensure no leaks. To get the nylon tubing that came w/the gauge to fit I used a small piece of vacuum line & attached one end to the 1/8" barbed fitting & slid the nylon tubing into the other end of it. I used a hose clamp on this as well, but don't make this one [too[/i] tight b/c you'll crimp the nylon line. I did use teflon tape on all the areas where the fittings screwed in to avoid leaks. As you can see, I also wrapped it in electrical tape. Why? So it blended in. :nana: I used some more zip ties to hold this in place & also to keep the stock line from rubbing on the IC cover.

I did have to cut a notch (shown in pic) in the vent to keep the nylon line from crimping. I'll just buy a new vent (cheap part) when I have to turn the car in.

I used some convoluted tubing on the nylon line in the engine bay to make everything look nice & neat. I also used teflon tape on the fittings that screw onto the back of the gauge.

You can't see the zip ties or the wiring. It's all very well hidden & looks like it belongs.

Here are the pics:
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/559590314IWEQRi

Looks nice, and at this point saves you $50 and a headache.

I think I'm going to take the same road but go with the Prosport setup.

$9.99
shiftlights3b.jpg

$54.50 for electrical
amberboostelec.jpg

Last edited:
Props for you 07MS6 for posting that how-to ... I'm gonna wait until I know if the DashHawk can pick up revised boosts due to EMS changes (a la piggyback) before committing to a boost guage, but it's always good to see how others have done it!

I like the location kinda down and out of the way, but it looks like the gauge isnt pressed all the way into the cup

I am actually working on molding one into the vent for my car, I did temporarily install one up there though by destroying an old 3 pod cluster. See my pics in the how to 4th page .Looks pretty good glad to see I am not the only one that wanted the location over there.

Well the top psi piece is available now apparently. So I stopped what I was doing, since I don't have the stuff to do injection molding I was just going to fiberglass and sand etc.. Think I will just spend the money..

LBV said:
Props for you 07MS6 for posting that how-to ... I'm gonna wait until I know if the DashHawk can pick up revised boosts due to EMS changes (a la piggyback) before committing to a boost guage, but it's always good to see how others have done it!
I'm with LBV. 4 to 6 digital readings. if the dashhawk works properly with the piggyback we r set.

ok dont kill me for asking this but what do boost guages do? does it add HP...? or does it just assist you when you race?

thanks

Doesn't add HP. Simply tells you how many lbs of boost you're running.

heres another dumb Q" why do u need to know how much boost your running?
can you manualy inject more boost if its low?

and how?

thankx!

A boost gauge will let you know how much air is being forced into the engine. If it starts reading lower than normal, it lets you know something is not right with the car.

There is a way to add more boost via a manual boost controller or electric boost controller. Not to sound mean or anything, but if you have to ask, thats a mod you might not want to attempt. Serious consequences can arise from raising the boost too high

nono i dont take offence to that, i was just curious, i see people talking about it all the time and i really wanted to know how it worked. also im looking for another mod to add a bit more kick to the engine, i saw that boost controllers were a bit cheaper in price than CAI, Exhausts... but now that i see it doesn’t add HP...

but it would help a persons time on the a drag strip right? (if used correctly)

thanks

thanks

By raising the boost (in theory) you raise horsepower. A boost controller allows the turbo to make more boost than the wastegate will allow. It will make for a faster car at the track. HOWEVER, every turbo has an efficiency range, and adding more boost will push this turbo out of its efficiency range. Also, the MS6 ECU wont allow someone to push more than 18 psi (stock is 15.7 I believe), however there is a module that will defeat this safety limiter.

When done properly, whenever you raise the boost level, you should add more fuel. The MS6 runs so damn rich that you dont have to do this, so some people skip on this step.

Back