Should I get a CX-9?

Neilo

Hi, new to this site and Mazda. Have pretty much decided on the CX-9. Enjoyed reading this site. Anything else out there similar, cheaper? What about the Subaru Tribeca, new for '08? should I wait for CX-9 '08?
Where on Long Island NY should I shop? purchase or lease? FWD or AWD?
lots of questions, any help would be appreciated, thanks.

I went with the fwd since the all-wheel had lower MPG. In Illinois there is not much of a need for 4-wheel or awd except a couple times a year.

If you can hold out I am sure it would be beneficial to get an 08 model. They seem to be bumping the hp just a bit. I think by 5hp, but either way you would have a year newer.

The Tribeca is a very nice vehicle, but a little smaller, little less bang for the buck and requires premium fuel. So I said no to that one.

I would certianly wait for the 2008 3.7L V6. It will have about 10-25 more hp, but more importiantly, it will have about 25-50 ft-lb more torque. It will also likely get better gas milage due to direct injection. It will have a much higher re-sale value when it comes time to traid.

Also, if you are larger than the average, you may want to take some long test drives ( more than an hour ) if you are looking at the two tone leather models. The hard seam in the middle of the side bolsters in the seat bottom can be a problem for larger people...

I debated between the CX-9 and the MDX/Acadia/Outlook SUVs.
In the end it was the CX-9 based on the features, how well it drove and the cost.
I got the AWD, but would have gotten a FWD if I could have found one with the features.
The extra hp would be nice, so if you are willing to wait, get a 08.

sranger said:
I would certianly wait for the 2008 3.7L V6. It will have about 10-25 more hp, but more importiantly, it will have about 25-50 ft-lb more torque. It will also likely get better gas milage due to direct injection. It will have a much higher re-sale value when it comes time to traid.

Come Back to Earth!

HP goes up 15 (5.7%), torque goes up 14 (5.6%).

NO direct Injection!

EPA Mileage - ???????

'08 Tribeca to run on regular fuel. when is the CX-9 '08 due out? thanks for the replys! more comments welcome.

wakblak said:
I debated between the CX-9 and the MDX/Acadia/Outlook SUVs.
In the end it was the CX-9 based on the features, how well it drove and the cost.
I got the AWD, but would have gotten a FWD if I could have found one with the features.
The extra hp would be nice, so if you are willing to wait, get a 08.

Great car but beware that most accessories are still not available even though the car has been out for 6 months. Mazda's new marketing strategy.(shrug)

Neilo said:
is the Ford Freestyle the same car?

Not even close. The Ford Edge is on the same platform but is only a 5 seater. They use the same basic engine but the Mazda's engine is tuned in Japan. It runs much smoother and more refined. Transmission is world's better than the Ford's.

what really irks me is the "towing package" offered, which consists of a tow hitch and a reflashed PCM. why not simply have all CX9 PCMs flashed to haul the 3500 lbs and give the customer and option to buy thier own hitch. the mazda hitch may not be what every customer wants. but of course from a business standpoint it makes sense and allows Mazda/FoMoCo to keep more dollars in house and away from the aftermarket.

Captain KRM P5 said:
what really irks me is the "towing package" offered, which consists of a tow hitch and a reflashed PCM. why not simply have all CX9 PCMs flashed to haul the 3500 lbs and give the customer and option to buy thier own hitch.

I think the towing package also includes a beefed up transmission cooler. Note that all CX-9 in Canada include this transmission cooler standard, but this is not true in US.

Captain KRM P5 said:
the mazda hitch may not be what every customer wants.

I would go as far as to assert that the Mazda hitch is not what MOST customers want. It's only puny a 1.25" receiver hitch and it requires the bumper to be cut to install. Since there is not provision or tools for this bumper cutout, the result looks unprofessional. I now have the 4000lbs, 2" receiver, Hidden Hitch and am very happy with the look and functionality -- no cutouts, higher mechanical spec (margin and tongue weight increase only, still can't tow more than 3500lbs max due to CX-9 rating, mostly relating to brakes and cooling), and a nice beefy 2" receiver.

I have been a long time Subaru owner.

DO NOT get the TRIBECA. It does NOT compare to the CX9.

You will pay MORE for the Tribeca. You will get LESS goodies than the CX9. The NAV is out of reach meaning you have to lean forward (in the Tribeca) to touch it, and over HALF the features in the CX9 are not in the Tribeca.

I've driven both. I own a CX9 and a CX7. Subaru Dealership let me drive a Tribeca for an entire weekend. I drove it back on Monday and gave them the keys and said NO THANKS. And that was before I ever laid eyes on the CX9.

The CX9 blows the doors off any Subaru they have, even the best of the best (say the VDC).

Go Mazda, you will not be dissapointed.

Captain KRM P5 said:
what really irks me is the "towing package" offered, which consists of a tow hitch and a reflashed PCM. why not simply have all CX9 PCMs flashed to haul the 3500 lbs and give the customer and option to buy thier own hitch. the mazda hitch may not be what every customer wants. but of course from a business standpoint it makes sense and allows Mazda/FoMoCo to keep more dollars in house and away from the aftermarket.

I partially agree...

The US towing package also adds a trans cooler and wiring harness (with HD turn signal relay in back). While I would have preferred a 2" receiver, the smaller one is more than sufficient for the 3500lbs that the CX-9 can tow.

So here are two rather lame reasons for purchasing the Mazda towing package:
1. The wiring comes already installed. I put in an aftermarket kit on our van for about $75, so this is pure convenience reason.
2. If there is ever a towing related problem (burnt trans, etc.) Mazda will not be able to say "You don't have the factory towing package, so your CX-9 wasn't properly equipped to tow your 1800lb trailer."

That said, there are a lot of better hitches out there than the factory option.

l-miwa said:
I partially agree...

The US towing package also adds a trans cooler and wiring harness (with HD turn signal relay in back). While I would have preferred a 2" receiver, the smaller one is more than sufficient for the 3500lbs that the CX-9 can tow.

1. The wiring comes already installed. I put in an aftermarket kit on our van for about $75, so this is pure convenience reason.
2. If there is ever a towing related problem (burnt trans, etc.) Mazda will not be able to say "You don't have the factory towing package, so your CX-9 wasn't properly equipped to tow your 1800lb trailer."

But the fact of the matter is you can not even have the towing package installed if the car you are buying from dealer stock does not already have it. What is so smart about that marketing strategy? Mazda has really fallen on their face with this car. I've had mine since 02/04/07 and most accessoreis are still not available. No backup sensors? And they expect families with kids to buy this car.

It can still tow!

Per the Mazda literature, the CX-9 will tow 2000 without the towing package.

l-miwa said:
I partially agree...

thanks Infymous and others for answering my questions. I have no towing needs so i guess that doesn't effect me. also with NAV comes a back-up camera, right? when does the '08 come out?

Neilo said:
thanks Infymous and others for answering my questions. I have no towing needs so i guess that doesn't effect me. also with NAV comes a back-up camera, right? when does the '08 come out?

The 2008 are starting production in July. They should be at the dealers in the ( oct/nov ) time frame...

Production already started in JUNE, dealers should see them as early as september.

sranger said:
The 2008 are starting production in July. They should be at the dealers in the ( oct/nov ) time frame...

Last edited:
Back