Floormat & Pedal interference?

PGCist

:
2007 Mazda5 Sport 5M
Hi folks. I'm new to this board. I just bought my 2007 Mazda5 (Sport 5MT) 11 days ago. Great vehicle, overall, BUT I'm having some problems w/ my driver-side floormat impeding pedal operations. I have the carpet and rubber floormats and both are folding upwards (onto the clutch or brake pedal) through the course of normal driving. This has resulted in me driving the car w/ the driver-side floormat removed. I think the carpet isn't seated properly, or there might be *too much* floor padding underneath?

I'd like to either:
1. glue the carpet down or
2. remove the floor padding altogether

Has anyone else had similar problems? I'm inclined to take the car back to the dealer and have them fix it, but the godawful NoVA traffic makes the trip a PITA.

Thanks in advance. This looks like a great community board.

I did...

I had this happen to me when I picked up my Mazda5. It turned out the mats were on the wrong side.(hand) So much for "Dealer Prep"!

AIMWO4 said:
I had this happen to me when I picked up my Mazda5. It turned out the mats were on the wrong side.(hand) So much for "Dealer Prep"!

Initially, I thought the same thing, but both the carpet & rubber mats have been installed properly. I also thought my shoes were the problem (yes, I wear Crocs, size 13 !), but my Chucks cause the same issue.

Last edited:
PGCist said:
Initially, I thought the same thing, but both the carpet & rubber mats have been installed properly. I also thought my shoes were the problem (yes, I wear Crocs, size 13 !), but my Chucks cause the same issue.

You must not use both mats at the same time. Either use the carpet ones, or use the Rubber ones. Using both can cause serious hazzard or injury!(RTM)

Thanks mazdadude.

Trust me, there is only rubber or carpet mats installed at any one time.

It almost seems like the carpet isn't fully rested on the floor (think like a hammock). I'm just curious if anyone else has had similar problems. I'm tempted to pull the carpet out of the sidewall and press it down into the floor.

Keep the suggestions coming, though. I appreciate the input.

PGCist said:
Thanks mazdadude.

Trust me, there is only rubber or carpet mats installed at any one time.

It almost seems like the carpet isn't fully rested on the floor (think like a hammock). I'm just curious if anyone else has had similar problems. I'm tempted to pull the carpet out of the sidewall and press it down into the floor.

Keep the suggestions coming, though. I appreciate the input.

Ok, good.

Hmmmm, that is interesting. I am curious if you have complained about it to the dealer yet? I imagine it could be possible that the main carpet (well not really carpet it is more like felt.) (rant), was installed incorrectly at the factory, thus not providing enough slack for the drivers footwell area.

I had this problem happen to me last year, on the highway!!! I was driving along at about 120km when I went to pass, and the gas peday stuck to the floor - quickly accelerating the car to about 150km.....with traffic, and my foot on the brake!! Scared the crap out of me!! I immediately brought it to the dealer. I addressed this very serious concern, which they took very seriously. They had the car for almost 2 days doing extensive tests for sudden acceleration but failed to find anything wrong with the car. It wasn't until months later that I noticed the rubber winter mat (made by Mazda) was getting caught with the gas pedal and holding it down. I still haven't fixed the problem but know what has to be done. There is a hole thru both the rubber and carpet floor mat on the driver side. There is supposed to be a peg that sticks out of the floor board which holds the mats in place and keeps them from shifting - it's not there. Next oil change at the dealer I will address the issue again and have them install one.

Peg

I am not sure, but I think the peg attaches to the rail area that the seat slides on. I guess that could break off in that configuration. I think most cars have the peg mounted into the floor.

Vinnyfast said:
I had this problem happen to me last year, on the highway!!! I was driving along at about 120km when I went to pass, and the gas peday stuck to the floor - quickly accelerating the car to about 150km.....with traffic, and my foot on the brake!! Scared the crap out of me!! I immediately brought it to the dealer. I addressed this very serious concern, which they took very seriously. They had the car for almost 2 days doing extensive tests for sudden acceleration but failed to find anything wrong with the car. It wasn't until months later that I noticed the rubber winter mat (made by Mazda) was getting caught with the gas pedal and holding it down. I still haven't fixed the problem but know what has to be done. There is a hole thru both the rubber and carpet floor mat on the driver side. There is supposed to be a peg that sticks out of the floor board which holds the mats in place and keeps them from shifting - it's not there. Next oil change at the dealer I will address the issue again and have them install one.

The problem seems to have solved itself through extended driving. I guess my heavy feet pressed the mats and carpet down enough I don't really have any clearance issues now. The space between the accelerator and brake is a different issue, though.

So, expect a "for sale" posting soon for my front & middle carpeted mats.

Thanks for the input!

AIMWO4 said:
I am not sure, but I think the peg attaches to the rail area that the seat slides on. I guess that could break off in that configuration. I think most cars have the peg mounted into the floor.

The peg is mounted using a metal bracket that attaches to the floor between the seat rails.

If you tried hard enough, I guess you could break it off.

HotRodSaint said:
The peg is mounted using a metal bracket that attaches to the floor between the seat rails.

If you tried hard enough, I guess you could break it off.

Mine came off last winter. I brought it back to the dealer for an oil change at the same time, and they fix it at no charge.

Back