215 50 vs 215 45

Rocket

I am close to replacing my tires and would like something wider to protect the rims. Seems like the 45's would be the correct choice, but I am looking for opinions from the gang...

Tire Recommendations:

Here are some photos of the 225-45/17s

I've gone through this with Saabs. It depends on what you want in a tire... good ride, $$, performance, etc. There is ALWAYS a trade-off. You can't get everything you want.

I want my tires to last a while, so I have some Yokohama YK520's. They are a bit stiffer on the ride department, but they are a harder compound. I would get Michelins if I was looking for the smooth ride (the other end of the spectrum). But they won't last as long. I'm using my Toyos now, becasue I want to wear them out and put winters on the wheels. The Toyos seem relatively "soft" compared to my Yokos.

I ran some Fuzion ZRs on my Saab wagon for a bit. They were great for the first 10K, but got too noisy later on. Keep in mind that the Saab 9-5 has had similar wear issues as the UK Mazda 5, but the Saab problem is with the rear, instead of the front.

What it boils down to is this... You need to decide what you want. Read the reviews, interpret them (I can usually tell which ones are moot - low miles so far, etc) and go with what you think will work. Most of all... REPORT YOUR FINDINGS to the rest of us.
s13.gif

DON'T FORGET: You can try different tire sizes, too. I have a set of 225 45/17s instead of the stock 205 50/17s
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Attachments

• DSCN0984.JPG
    DSCN0984.JPG
    380.9 KB · Views: 249
  • DSCN0987.JPG
    DSCN0987.JPG
    286.9 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:
No rubbing. I'd have to dig up the paperwork on offset (think it's 42). They are 17-inch American Racing Type SR Chrome (Series 686) 1-piece chrome plated alloy.

Will 225/45 R17 Goodyear Eagle F1-DS3 tires fit on the stock 2007 Mazda5 6.5x17 rims without a problem? Any feedback from anyone with the same stock wheel oversized tire setup? Will the tire look like its bulging around the sides, or does it look normal?

Would this conflict in anyway with H&R lowering springs?

I put a set of Falken ZIEX ZE-912 215/45ZR17 on my 5's OEM rims. No rub, no bulge. Very grippy, better control on wet roads. Harder ride of course. Warranted for 40,000 miles. They're what I call three season tires. People out of the snow belt can add another season. I put real snow tires on for the winter, for which I bought 16" rims and go to a 205/55VR16 Nokian Hakkapeliitta Rsi which are awesome snow tires.

I put a set of Falken ZIEX ZE-912 215/45ZR17 on my 5's OEM rims. No rub, no bulge. Very grippy, better control on wet roads. Harder ride of course. Warranted for 40,000 miles. They're what I call three season tires. People out of the snow belt can add another season. I put real snow tires on for the winter, for which I bought 16" rims and go to a 205/55VR16 Nokian Hakkapeliitta Rsi which are awesome snow tires.

Hey Mazda5wannabe, do you think 225/45 17" would fit? Maybe a little bulge? I don't want the tire popping off the rim...

225 was an alternative size my tire guy gave me. I choose the 215 as a trade off between economy and adhesion. You are better off talking to the tire experts though.

Back