Toyo Tires on Mazda 5

drichards

Hi everyone,

New mazda 5 owner and live in Vancouver. After 33,000km on the tires, they are worn out. Dealer saysa there is no tread warrenty. Has anyone experience this in Canada? It seems the UK owners have had problems, but these tires should last longer than 33,000km

Let me know

Thanks,

Dean

not unusual that low profile tires wear out "early" but you must drive hard. I'm st 30,000 and I have over half tread left. And I'm not gentle on my tires!!! Many low profile tires don't have tread wear warranties!!! welcome to the world of low=profile tires!!!

It depends on driving habits. We've seen them last 40k miles, or worn out at 15k.
Not counting the winter months we've had blizzaks on it, we've probably got 15k on ours and they're at 6-7/32nds of tread. And my wife doesn't drive like a nut.
They're performance tires. What they give for dry grip they take away with longevity. And price.
There are better, cheaper, longer lasting tires out there (Kumho ASX has a 30,000 mile treadlife warranty), but the manufacturer does goofy things with thier OE tire choices.

I'm in Vancouver too. I just hit 4000 Kms so you'll have to wait quite a bit longer before I let you know how my tires are doing. I had 3 different mustangs over the last 20 years and went through a set of new tires every 2 years cause I drive quite hard around turns and do quite alot of burn outs.

With the Mazda 5, every time it rains, my front tires usually peel out a bit on acceleration from a stop position.

drichards said:
Hi everyone,

New mazda 5 owner and live in Vancouver. After 33,000km on the tires, they are worn out. Dealer saysa there is no tread warrenty. Has anyone experience this in Canada? It seems the UK owners have had problems, but these tires should last longer than 33,000km

Let me know

Thanks,

Dean

Sorry, US based and no answer but whooaa, that is only around 20K miles (shocked). Yes, I got similar feedback with regards to low profile tires as for what was98strat replied. The Mazda service guys comments were: "for these tires you need to rotate, align and balance as soon as needed plus make sure that you check tire pressure whenever possible". All this is reasonable but coming from an old Honda with cheap R14 wheels I then needed to pay more attention now (freak)

Last edited:
How much air pressure do you run?

Do you check the pressure often?(canada)

drichards said:
Hi everyone,

Let me know

Thanks,

Dean

I swapped out the horrible Toyo's on my 5 and the even more horrible Goodyear RS-A off my 3 with a set of Khumo ASX in a 215-50r17... MUCH BETTER. And at only about $90 each they are a hell of a bargain.

Don't wait for your tires to wear out. Go ahead and upgrade.

OEM Toyo tires suck. I'm almost to the wear indicators on mine at just shy of 25,000km. Admittingly, I drive hard and my daily commute is through some twisty mountains, but that's atrocious mileage for such average tires.

rodslinger said:
I swapped out the horrible Toyo's on my 5 and the even more horrible Goodyear RS-A off my 3 with a set of Khumo ASX in a 215-50r17... MUCH BETTER. And at only about $90 each they are a hell of a bargain.

Don't wait for your tires to wear out. Go ahead and upgrade.

where did you purchase these Khumo (or is it KUMO), can you offer the link ?
Do u find your speedometer accurate and notice any rubbing ?

boytoys said:
where did you purchase these Khumo (or is it KUMO), can you offer the link ?
Do u find your speedometer accurate and notice any rubbing ?

I bought them at a local tire retailer but had them price match the tirerack.com price. No rubbing at all and the speedo reads a little low which is fine with me.... I'm accumulating miles about 3% slower than everyone else.

4 year, 51500 mile warranty FTW (rockon)

I've got a GT with 17in wheels. I've been reading these threads about the Toyos and the premature wear on them. A few weeks ago I went to a reputable tire shop in Vancouver, B.C. Initially, they looked at the tires and said these had not been rotated for a long time. They could not believe I only had 7,000 kms on them. We checked the pressure it was at 33 psi. 1 psi below the recommended 34. They put the car on the hoist for further look. They said the tires are "cupping". Like under inflated tires were all the wear is on the outside and none in the middle of the thread pattern. They increase the pressure to create an even wear pattern. Cold, the pres is at 38 psi. Last week we did a road trip. After a few hours on the highway the pressure was 42 psi. I find the car rides better. Not as choppy as before. But I am worried about the higher pressures. I got to see the local Mazda Dealer.

I've had some pretty sheety luck with these tires too. I got my 5 April '06.
Back in Oct. I hit a pothole at around 60 km/h and ended up with a huge bulge on the sidewall of the front tire. The impact left a big black rubber mark on both the front and back wheels. I still haven't gotten it all off yet. I can still remember the bang it made when I hit that facker. I thought for sure something was going to be bent/broken.
These tires are useless in snow over 2 inches. In November I was driving in snow in a side street. Stopped at a stop sign but then could not go fwd. Tires just spun and was sliding sideways towards the curb. Ended up having to back up a few feet first. Later that winter, tried to turn into my street and just went straight. Overshot my street and again had to back up and try again.
Then in Feb. I walk up to my car in the driveway and the L/F tire is totally flat. The bolt about a 3/4" (not a nail) was really close to the sidewall, I thought for sure I would need to buy another one. But my buddy at a tire shop was able to patch it. How the hell does a 3/4" diameter bolt punch its way into a tire with 10,000 km's on it!?!?
If you're keeping these stock Toyo crap you definitely need a set of winter tires. Also, if you get much rain these tires get pretty squirrly too.

I was reading the newer entries in this thread when it hit me. I have 25000k on my car, BUT I HAD SNOWIES ON FOR FIVE MONTHS! I calculate the mileage on my tires to be a bit over 12500k!

Toyos are off my shopping list. These are on it:

Falken ZIEX ZE512.

I cannot remember for the life of me where I read about it, but I read somewhere that the Europeans consider the 5 to be a "tire eater". They stated that because of the added weight from the 5 vs. the 3, the suspension places extra loads on the tires and the tires are therefore prematurly worn out. It would be interesting to see if the folks in Taiwan are experiencing the same problems.

It's a thread in a different forum. It appears to be a right-hand drive issue only (UK). I haven't read anything negative in the left-hand drive arena. It's the inside of the front tires (tyres) that wears out. They have a variety of different engine types there as well. I wish we could get a turbo diesel here!(dunno)

opus said:
I cannot remember for the life of me where I read about it, but I read somewhere that the Europeans consider the 5 to be a "tire eater". They stated that because of the added weight from the 5 vs. the 3, the suspension places extra loads on the tires and the tires are therefore prematurly worn out. It would be interesting to see if the folks in Taiwan are experiencing the same problems.

Well my front tires didn't show any abnormal wear patterns, only severely short life. The back tires have lots of life yet. Anyone want to buy some near new OEM Toyos?

I ended up buying Falken ZE-912s in 215/45R17. I haven't had a chance to experience them at speed, but the road feel seems improved. Low speed steering seems heavier (due to the increased width). They come with a 65000k warranty.

Back