Toyo Tires on Mazda 5

drichards

Hi everyone,

New mazda 5 owner and live in Vancouver. After 33,000km on the tires, they are worn out. Dealer saysa there is no tread warrenty. Has anyone experience this in Canada? It seems the UK owners have had problems, but these tires should last longer than 33,000km

Let me know

Thanks,

Dean

Mazda 5 2007 Tire wear

I have a 2007 Mazda 5. The tires needed replacing at 35,000 km. One of the rear tires was making a thumping noise so I took it to Mazda. They told me it was a tire problem, so I went to a Toyo dealer. They said it was an alignment problem that caused the tire problem. I took it back to Mazda, they said yes it could be an alignment problem, but alignment is only covered under warranty until 20,000 km. At which point I left to check my warranty book and that is what it say's. You are supposed to take your vehicle in for an alignment check up at 20,000 kms. Now Mazda did not offer to do an alignment, they let me walk out the door?

Since then customer service called and ask how my last visit was. I explained that I was not happy with the service. They said they would have the dealer contact me. That was 3 weeks ago? Still waiting.

At this point I have an appointment for an alignment with an independent shop and then I will get new tires.

Question? What tires did you get for your Mazda 5?

Sounds like the kind of service I got back when we had our P5. I had to fight with Mazda a whole year before I got my voice heard and my problems fixed.

As for the 20 000KM warranty thing...we're not there yet but, is there something I should do BEFORE getting there?

I have a 2007 Mazda 5. The tires needed replacing at 35,000 km. One of the rear tires was making a thumping noise so I took it to Mazda. They told me it was a tire problem, so I went to a Toyo dealer. They said it was an alignment problem that caused the tire problem. I took it back to Mazda, they said yes it could be an alignment problem, but alignment is only covered under warranty until 20,000 km. At which point I left to check my warranty book and that is what it say's. You are supposed to take your vehicle in for an alignment check up at 20,000 kms. Now Mazda did not offer to do an alignment, they let me walk out the door?

Since then customer service called and ask how my last visit was. I explained that I was not happy with the service. They said they would have the dealer contact me. That was 3 weeks ago? Still waiting.

At this point I have an appointment for an alignment with an independent shop and then I will get new tires.

Anyone used Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S Tires? I was searching for tires and came across this one. According to Tire Rack and other reviews on the internet, It has pretty good wet, dry and snow traction.

Anyone used Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S Tires? I was searching for tires and came across this one. According to Tire Rack and other reviews on the internet, It has pretty good wet, dry and snow traction.

I've used them on an old car before and they were pretty good.

I had same problems as above whereby they were blaming eachother and I got no where.. just replaced the tires with Yokohamas..
Got an alignment and all seems good now..
You just gotta be aware that aligned and unloaded is nice, but once loaded the back settles down and you may have the wearing on the insides due to the way the suspension works : Ford Focus wagons have same prob.

How to fix your tire problem on mazda5 !

It took me 3 years of research to find the fix for my 2006 mazda 5, gasolline engine, driven mostly in Virginia - USA

I am not a mechanic and I had to deal with total denial coming from MAZDA USA, from mazda dealers, from tire sales people.

The 2006 model has a major engineering problem in regards to aligment on all 4 wheels; the back wheels are worse then the front!

If you take the car to be fixed, every shop and even the mazda dealer will tell you that the alignment is OK; but it is not ok!

They do it up to factory specs in the computer but the factory specs are not correct!

The toe in and the camber of each wheel is deeply negative especially in the back

look at the wheels put a construction level on each of them!

you will see how much they ar off level vertically

if you take the vertical deflection in degrees and compare it to the inside wear you will see - they are equal in size

your wheels do not sit vertically on the road so then instead of smooth rotation and normal wear, you get a dragging acction, intense wear and dangerous cupping that can lead to tire explosion and in the long run to the destruction of the entire suspension system.

you need to find a shop that will do a custom alignment with camber and toe-in anjustments based on fact not computer specs.

you will find people with experience in small shops that know what they are doing.

the shops that work on race cars, hot rods vintage cars are experts

they can even order custom arms to bring those wheels down to - 0.36 off vertically.

that is the normal number on every car (on my mazda it was -2.63)and the dealer said that it is an OK number given by the manufacturer as "whithin limit" ((((

DO NOT TRY to fix your car at tire dealers like Goodyear... they will sell you the most expensive tires they have and not fix the problem !!!

they are in the business of selling tires for a profit not giving you a hand out !!!

The best tires to go on this car are made by Michelin - it is a stronger tire that will give you more miles of use.

I hope it was helpfull and if you have questions I can give you more details

mazda is part of ford and i know ford has the same problem on some models

as a favor to all mazda owners please try to call mazda and file complains as many times as you can and spread this posting to others!

it will lead to some form of reimbursement for your time and efforts from mazda!

mazda tribute and mazda 3 has the same problem !

good luck!

I got 23k miles out of my factory Toyos, and have since gone to Kumho Ecsta Platinum Touing tires from Tire Rack. I'm on my second set of these tires due to the impact bubbles I've gotten.

I went with 215/50/17s to give me a little taller tire and it's worked out great.

wow, good info frodream.

I was shocked at the ridiculous tire wear on my 5 when I picked it up. It has 17k on it and there is no tread left on the inside rears, and the fronts seems really scrubbed with hardly any tread remaining across the whole tire patch. I've never seen anything like this on a new car.

I think I'll take it in to my race alignment guy to see what he thinks. From what I've been reading here, it sounds like the factory alignment specs kinda suck for tire wear. I'm just wondering how much it would affect handling if he aligned it with a more neutral toe and camber.

I just picked up a set of Sumitomo HTRZ III to replace the toyos. I'd like to get the alignment issues solved before putting on new tires.

Tires replaced

I replaced the Toyo tires with goodyear assurance tripletred. I now have 120,000kms on th car and the thumping noise is back. The wear looks ok but there is not alot of tread left. I have rotated front to back at 80,000kms. I will try that again. It got rid of the thump at 80,000kms. Looking at some of the other posts, I would think that it is a matter of having a custom alginment done. I am now looking for winter tires. Does anyone have a recomendation?

Um, you're supposed to rotate tires every 8,000km. Directional tires are prone to cupping on the rear tires. Mind you I waited a full 20,000km to rotate mine but I won't make that mistake again...

OEM Toyo Proxes A18 officially dead at 47000 Kms + not so great experience at dealership. I started to get the thumping noise 2 nights ago. No vibration felt during the ride or on the steering wheel during driving. Took it to the dealership the very next day and left it there for the day. Got the call and was told that there was a huge nail in the tire. I was a bit uneasy with what they told me as I have had several nails in the past and they don't make a thump and you can usually feel the slight bumping when driving.

I just bought spare rims and Nexen Winterguards and had a friend drive them to the dealership for me but they couldn't install them because they were closing in an hour. I guess it takes them more than 30 mins to take off 4 wheels and put 4 back on ?? They told me to come back the next day and when I told them I'll go across the street to the tire store, they had a weird look on their face....and I think I know why.

Less than 15 mins later at the tireshop, I inspected all 4 tires and did not find any nail. I was told by Mazda that there was a HUGE nail sticking out of the inner side wall of my rear tire. There was no nail anywhere. The tire that they did say had a nail in it would not stand upright on its own. It was tipping over on its side where as the other 3 were fine standing on their own. I rolled it and it would not roll straight, it immediately fell on its side. There is something definitely wrong with that tire, but there is no tread left. I had my tires rotated every 8000 Kms with my oil changes.

I hope others don't experience this problem too as it seems there are 2 of us that have in this forum group.

mazda5 tire issue

It took me 3 years of research to find the fix for my 2006 mazda 5, gasolline engine, driven mostly in Virginia - USA

I am not a mechanic and I had to deal with total denial coming from MAZDA USA, from mazda dealers, from tire sales people.

The 2006 model has a major engineering problem in regards to aligment on all 4 wheels; the back wheels are worse then the front!

If you take the car to be fixed, every shop and even the mazda dealer will tell you that the alignment is OK; but it is not ok!

They do it up to factory specs in the computer but the factory specs are not correct!

The toe in and the camber of each wheel is deeply negative especially in the back

look at the wheels put a construction level on each of them!

you will see how much they ar off level vertically

if you take the vertical deflection in degrees and compare it to the inside wear you will see - they are equal in size

your wheels do not sit vertically on the road so then instead of smooth rotation and normal wear, you get a dragging acction, intense wear and dangerous cupping that can lead to tire explosion and in the long run to the destruction of the entire suspension system.

you need to find a shop that will do a custom alignment with camber and toe-in anjustments based on fact not computer specs.

you will find people with experience in small shops that know what they are doing.

the shops that work on race cars, hot rods vintage cars are experts

they can even order custom arms to bring those wheels down to - 0.36 off vertically.

that is the normal number on every car (on my mazda it was -2.63)and the dealer said that it is an OK number given by the manufacturer as "whithin limit" ((((

DO NOT TRY to fix your car at tire dealers like Goodyear... they will sell you the most expensive tires they have and not fix the problem !!!

they are in the business of selling tires for a profit not giving you a hand out !!!

The best tires to go on this car are made by Michelin - it is a stronger tire that will give you more miles of use.

I hope it was helpfull and if you have questions I can give you more details

mazda is part of ford and i know ford has the same problem on some models

as a favor to all mazda owners please try to call mazda and file complains as many times as you can and spread this posting to others!

it will lead to some form of reimbursement for your time and efforts from mazda!

mazda tribute and mazda 3 has the same problem !

good luck!

I am considering buying a mazda5 GT 2006 year and so am interested in the tire problem because the model I want to buy is the mazda5 GT which has more expensive tires on it(205/50R17) . When you modified the alignment to custom specs did you notice a difference in the way it handled. I called the salesman to tell him what previous owners have said about the tire wear and he said Mazda designs the alignment like that to give it the type of vehicle handling it wants the car to have to make it very responsive. Do you think this is nonsense? How do you like the cars handling response now that it has been modified?

New Tires, vibration when braking, and power steering recall

I've got the Toyo Tires on my 2008 Mazda5 and have just gone over 50,000 miles. I'm in need of new tires and would like info on what the best kind are? I had Good Year Eagle RSA's on my last car, and those worked well. Will they work ok on the 5?

I have taken my car to the dealer on several occasions because when braking, my car shudders. They resurfaced my rotors, but the car still shudders. Any suggestions? The dealer and another mechanic have said there is nothing wrong with the car, but it shouldn't do that when braking!

Anyone have to take their car in yet for the power steering recall??

Thanks for any feedback!

I have taken my car to the dealer on several occasions because when braking, my car shudders. They resurfaced my rotors, but the car still shudders. Any suggestions? The dealer and another mechanic have said there is nothing wrong with the car, but it shouldn't do that when braking!

New rotors. BTDT. Had them turned twice. Finally replaced all four myself no problems since.

fortheloveofcar, go ahead and modify the allignment. I have had no handling issues since my 2009 mazda5 GT was set to zero all arond. keep in mind when you test drive this car, Mazda wants you to feel like you are in a sports car. They want you to fall in love with this car. Thas why they put soft stickey rubber on it thats rated for 240 Kms/hr...... 240kms/hr? really?
They do not care that the tires will not last. 23000 kms and my tires were GONE!! Had to be replaced. All of the wear was on the inside edge. The allignment has corrected most of it but we are still tweaking. I do feel there is a design flaw in these cars, but Mazda will never admit to it..... $$$$$$ out of pocket for them....
Good luck, I'm still trying to get "something" fom them.

Original equipment Toyo tires were the worst I've ever had - worn out at 20,000km!

The all-season Toyo tires on my 2010 Mazda 5 are worn out after only 20,000km! I do 40,000km/year and use snow tires from Nov.-Apr (6 months). The snow tires are fine so it's not the car; it's not the alignment and it's not the driver. The all-seasons tires developed a loud drone sound.
The all-seasons are not directional and the snow tires are directional.

Referring to "frodream's" posting on 07-26-2009, 04:42 AM, if the problem was the alignment then I would expect my snow tires to worn out too, but they're fine.

My Mazda dealer has come through with some financial support going forward but the Toyo rep offered no compensation - not even a break on the new tires I will buying next spring.

I'll never buy Toyo tires again - especially on a new car.

Here's what the all-seasons look like:
Toyo all-season tire 2 (2011-11-13).JPG
Here's what the snow tires look like:
Snow tire (2011-11-13).JPG
I'll never use Toyo tires again and especially won't accept a new car equipped with them.

The '06 / '07 Mazda5s had some serious alignment issues which appear to be fixed on the '08s on up. Frodream has (had?) an '06 - what he said is correct for the '06s and '07s.

I have an '09 Mazda5 and just replaced my OEM Yokohamas, got a little over 44,000 KM out of them (27,500 miles). The wear on them was like the picture of your Toyo tires - the inside edge was worn out and the rest of the tire had 3/32" of tread. I should take a picture of them, they are sitting in my garage - I switched to 16" wheels / tires.

Back