New 10" sub fiberglass enclosure

Kid Red

:
Mazda 5
I spent the past week working on a larger box this time to house a 10". I didn't want to take up the entire back storage area so I designed it take exactly half of the space while adhering the the speaker's recommended enclosure specs. Below are the photos thru various stages. Too many photos to resize for the web, so I formatted just a few of the stages.

Attachments

• IMG_0591.jpg
    IMG_0591.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 259
  • IMG_0603.jpg
    IMG_0603.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 254
  • IMG_0610.jpg
    IMG_0610.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_0614.jpg
    IMG_0614.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 223
  • IMG_0617.jpg
    IMG_0617.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 224
The paint is truck bed liner paint and I think it gives the box a stock feel. I wasn't sure if I wanted the gloss, and I thought carpet may be too boring. I still may yet carpet the sides (as originally planned) or touch up the sides which I did not finish thinking they' be covered in carpet.

Attachments

• IMG_0620.jpg
    IMG_0620.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 228
  • IMG_0622.jpg
    IMG_0622.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 2,546
  • IMG_0623.jpg
    IMG_0623.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 264
Looks really good! I tried doing a fiberglass project, and it ended in a big sloppy mess! I have a question or two for you-

When you stretch the fleece over the side and staple it (let's call this the folded over, overhang) then you resin it, apply the glass mat, and sand. Are you sanding off the "folded over, overhang"? If so, doesn't that just leave the bond to the front edge of your sub structure? Is this strong enough?

tort- It sounds sweet. ARC Audio is a high end woofer and it is built on sound quality. So, any type of music this thing just reproduces it all. From jazz to country to hip hop and reggae, I'm happy. Yes, the 8" wasn't loud enough, I wanted more (had 4 10"s when I was younger)

wildo- Very very very good question. My first attempt I had to dremel the ends off. This one shown above, I tried not to create the ends because I also wasn't sure how it's done correctly. I have since figured it out.

When you stretch the fleece, staple the ends, and overlap the speaker grill, don't worry about anything. Just go ahead and do it. DO NOT cut the speaker hole out and try to resin careful around that opening as I have done. Simply don't apply resin to the center area that you end up cutting. Same with the edges. Resin right to the edge. With mat, just mat right to the edge, and same with the speaker cut out, right to the edge. THe most important step is to then resin the inside of the box behind the fiberglass. You want to resin the interior sides so when you cut off the over hang, it's still solid. AND you want to resin around the speaker ring to ensure stability. So give a good coat or two to the entire inside of your fiberglassed fleece and 4 layers of mat. What I also didn't know is you can do multiple layers of mat without having to wait for it to dry which saves time. Then body filler+resin+hardener and make it semi soupy and cover our entire fiberglass front with it. Then, you'll be sanding for a while starting with 80grit, 150 grit and up top 400-800 depending on if you are painting it glossy, etc.

Also, I read afterwards, that the pros like to us speaker cloth better than fleece because fleece is so dense it does not completely soak up the resin. If you used speaker grill cloth, you might not need to apply resin as much to the inside the box. ANd also resin all edges inside the box.

Oh, also, after sanding down my edges to rid the hangover, I did not have a 90 edge, I used the bodyfiller+resin+hardener to build up the edge then I sanded to into a 90 edge.

I don't know which of your upgrades I should do first, the sub-woofer or the Stanley garage cabinets! :cool:

looks good hope u did alot of fiberglass layers so it wont crack later....did u use fleece the get the basic shape?.....also did u use fiberglass mat or fiberglass cloth?

hotrod- Home Depot actually upgraded the cabinets, they don't even sell mine anymore. They have a newer sleeker look. I had to do that tho, needed the storage space.

bruster- Yes there are 3 layers I think of mat, I don't use or recommend cloth, and then the inside of the fleece is also resined. The edges are resined and that's really the only place it would crack. I'm not worried.

Kid red- thanks for the info! That is very informative... And i agree- I had a hard time getting the fleece to soak up all the resin. Speaker cloth seems like a great idea! Nice job, again.

I wish I had a garage that looked as good as yours........maybe then I may be inspired to try my hand at a sub-box.....Great looking box you got there....
Anthony

i getting ready to do another fiberglass box for the local audio store i deal with...its got 2 boston 12's and a flat screen tv on motorized actuators 27" i think

Just realized this is in the engine forum, haha. My bad. Anyway to move it to the audio forum?

antlid- I can't stand clutter or garages that don't allow room for at least one car. Next to my car is a carpeted workout area.

Wow Red! That looks great! THe finish is perfect! Doesn't leave much room for groceries though.

How does the 10" compare to the 8" you had in there before? Are you powering it with the same amp?

Very nice install.

So far I have been very impressed with the installs on this forum. You guys seem to really have some skill. You pulled off the FG nicely.

Ben, is that you? I just picked up the 2 sundowns from you for my new Civic (had the 2 rca output issue) Nice to see you around.

Glad you like my 5 install. I can't wait to do the same on my civic. I just have a standard square box now, but I will need to work on an amp rack for the sundowns and a fiberglass enclosure for my 10".

chuyler1 said:
Wow Red! That looks great! THe finish is perfect! Doesn't leave much room for groceries though.

How does the 10" compare to the 8" you had in there before? Are you powering it with the same amp?

Yea, I like the finish too, very OEM. Like most hard plastic type boxes you can buy today. Also mimics kinda, the texture on the plastic panels. I just didn't want to screw up the carpeting job, lol.

Yes, much louder than the 8". I think you saw my system last with the Alpine. I since upgraded to a Massive Audio 4 channel, with 200w to my fronts and 300w to the 10". It's clean. The ARC audio sub is a very nice SQ sub and a great setup for the family 5.

I only lose the second half of the back, still room for two bags. If we have more than 2 bags, I put them on the back seat. Or I fold down one side of the rear seats and get more storage that way. For the sound, I wouldn't have it any other way.

I really like my new Civic (wife now gets the 5) tho, hehe. Just a single 10", but it's a TC OEM10 with a clean 600w and it's an amazing sub. I wish I had a full 1000w for it, but I'm not a teenager anymore and I'm fine where I'm at. Rainbow SLC265 comps are very nice too.

Back