MS3 Custom CAI

redspeed

:
MS3 Sport
Well, I start by saying that I wanted to buy a ms cai since I got my ms3. But $300+ dollars for a cai is a bit high for me. I know there's a good hp gain, but $300 is almost my monthly payment ($375). Sooo.... if you don't want to pay the high price for a cai, this thread may help you. (thumb)

The only solution is to make your own custom cai. You can find 3 in. elbows and straight pipes made from plastic, rubber or metal. I did a little search online and found a couple of websites that sells them in rubber and silicone. But you can go to the local autozone or pepboys and get the spectre parts. Now, I am in no way advertising their product. You can buy what you need anywhere you like and any brand you like.

I got the spectre pipes because it was cheap and it is made specifically for custom intakes. The pipes are made of plastic (again, cheap) and have a chrome looking finish (see pic #1). The pipes and elbows are 3 in. diameter and have a plastic clamp in one of the side with hex screw, so you don't have to buy clamps, but be careful and don't over tight. I went out and bought the following:
2 4in. long straight pies
1 6in. long straight pipe
1 45 deg. elbow
1 90 deg. elbow
1 60 deg. elbow
1 maf sensor adapter
1 mounting kit
1 3in. cone filter
1 T clamp
Total price $90
Pic#1
1.JPG
I figured what I needed by looking at pics of the ms and injen cai. I ended up using EVERYTHING. You can just get 3 4in. long pipes to make it shorter, but they only have two at my local store so I got the 6in. long pipe instead. I tried different layouts but pic #2 shows the final version that fitted right. Also, before you attach the pipes together, remember to put the O ring that come with each part to avoid air leaks.
Pic#2
2.JPG
Now for the installation, I used the instructions in the injen website as reference. Also, I highly recommend that you remove the front bumper, it is so much easier. The reason is that you are making your own custom intake and multiple adjustments will be necessary. You want all the space that you can get, don't get me wrong, is not hard to do it. To remove the front bumper, find the biggest hammer and start destroying your bumper. (silly) J/K don't do that . Just remove all the clips on top of the front grill, 8 I believe, then all the bolts across the lower lip, NOT the phillips screws on the paint. Carefully pull on each side, besides the headlight. Before it comes out disconect the fog lights connectors and some sort of sensor ( amb. temp?). Remove the left front splash shield to make space for the cone filter. Remove the intercooler cover, disconnect the Neg. battery cable, remove the maf sensor and stock air box.
Pic#3
3.JPG
Attach the cone filter to one of the 4in. pipes and attach the T clamp in the middle of the 4in. pipe. You will use this T clamp to secure the intake after installation (pic #3). Now, you are keeping the corrugated looking hose. It is a lot easier, but if you want to remove it, you need to buy additional parts, and the point is to keep it cheap. The maf pipe comes with 3 adapters for different cars, just follow the instructions and use the one for mazda, and take notice of the direction of the air flow. Attach the maf pipe to the stock black hose (pic #4). I tried to use the stock clamp but didn't work, so I used a extra one that I had.
Pic #4
4.JPG
Start assembling the intake. Attach 4in. pipe to the 6in., then put 60 deg. elbow on top, 90 deg. elbow at the bottom and 45 deg. elbow to the 90 deg. (pic #2). Tighten enough to keep together but allow movement, and lower into position. Attach top part (60 deg. elbow) to the maf adapter and adjust as necessary (pic #5). It looks like there's no space but there is enough (pic #6).Attach cone filter to lower intake and adjust (pic #7). I also used a m6 vibra bolt (bolt with rubber) from my old maxima intake, but I don't know if one can buy it locally, so you have to find something for if you want to isolate vibrations on the intake.
Pic #5
5.JPG

Finally use the parts in the mounting kit to secure the intake (pic #8). There are 3 different size metal rods, I used the medium size and attached the other nuts and little plate to make some kind of bracket, very easy stuff (see pic #8 again). If you adjusted everything right, the intake will not rub against or hit anything. Tighten everything and double check, replace bumper, install maf sensor and connect battery. Start engine and listen for air leaks. Finished installation (pic #9)

If everything is good, Congratulations you just installed the cheapest CAI in the market :D
Driving impressions you ask? Well, full throttle in 1st and 2nd gear is futile (lol2)
Before it will spin tires in 1st and try in 2nd, now it spin tires in 1st, 2nd and tries in 3rd. Butt dyno says it is a major improvment and it will rev past 6k easy. And of course the beautiful sound of the turbo sucking air and the stock BOV keeping everything in check (cabpatch). I don't have a baseline dyno or and after dyno, but I'm located at 3,900 feet elev; so I know dyno #s will be super low, anyways I will try to get some numbers for you guys. Sorry for the long post, but I tried to give good instructions. (direct) (breakn)

********************Edit*******************
I took the cai off to get the recall work done. Before I put it back on the car I decided to move the 6 in. pipe and attach it to the filter. The 4 in. pipe that was on the filter was attached to the other 4in. pipe. The result is that the filter was moved up aprox. 4 in. to give it some extra protection against hydrolock (engine sucking water). Sound and feeling is the same as the length of the cai was not changed.

*******************UPDATE*****************

I found on the specter website a kit to "match" the spectre maf ID(3 in.) to the stock maf ID(2 3/4 in.) The kit includes a maf pipe and 3 inner pipes in ID size 2 1/4, 2 1/2 and 2 3/4 in. This is good, because now the custom cai can match the stock maf ID size for stock calibration. I have not upgraded my custom cai with this kit at this moment, but I will get this, install it and post the updates as soon as I can.

Last edited:
Well done! That's the way to innovate and get what you want for the budget you have. Congratulations and keep us posted on the long term.

Yeah I worry that the plastic tube wont fair well in the long run but maybe it will get you long enough until you can buy the real deal in the future.

Are you going to leave that in when it goes to a dealership? Looks good to me, and I'm sure you'd raise some eyebrows.

Last edited:
Thanks guys! (drinks) The custom intake has been in the car for two days and 50+ miles, so I'm still getting used to it. The plastic is not too flimsy, I think that as long that you make sure is not rubbing against anything, it will be alright. And for dealership trips, you can remove the top part and put on the stock one, but I'm gona leave it there, they have to prove that it is causing whatever malfunction I get, unless of course is intake related. I have one obdII scanner, so I'll check before going to the stealership. (shady)

i've been thinking bout that too....but i was worried the MAF tune from spectre would cause a CEL b/c its alot bigger than the stock tube diameter

good job, i was going to do that ...autozone, but i thought it would be to complicted i'll go with the mazda version, but you did a dam good job!!!

I usually laugh at homemade intakes, but that is a really nice job. The only change I would suggest is getting rid of the 90 degree elbow and use something that will have a smoother transition. Looks like the MAF is in the stock location, so thats good.

dread said:
I usually laugh at homemade intakes, but that is a really nice job. The only change I would suggest is getting rid of the 90 degree elbow and use something that will have a smoother transition. Looks like the MAF is in the stock location, so thats good.

Yeah, I wanted to get rid of the 90 deg. elbow, but I have to use it because the intake its a little long. I can change the 6in. long pipe for a 4in. and get rid of the 90 deg. but after trying different layouts I just used the parts that I had. I suspect it causes some turbulence, but it works great. Maybe later down the road I'll change it.

can you post a pic of just the maf adapter ?

can you post a link to the one you got ?

thanks bud

EDIT: Nevermind, saw pic #4. how much did you pay for the adapter alone ?

Last edited:
CaSHMeRe said:
can you post a pic of just the maf adapter ?

can you post a link to the one you got ?

thanks bud

EDIT: Nevermind, saw pic #4. how much did you pay for the adapter alone ?

Maf adapter was $13.99 at autozone.

Back