I will have to sell the CX-9...

sranger

The seats in my CX-9 are so uncomfortable to me that I am going to have to sell it after only 1000 miles. It has my rear end so sore that I cannot stand to drive it any longer. I have owned many vehicles over the years and this is the only vehicle that I have experianced this problem with. My last vehicle was a 2005 Mercury Mariner and the seats were not any bigger, but were much more comfortable. The dealer and Mazda will not do anything to help me...

I am completely sick about the whole thing. I can not tell you how horrable I fell at this moment. I am going to lose thousands of dollars, but I cannot stand it any longer. I spend 4-6hr a day driving and this is just intolerable. I had an upolstry guy look at it and he said there is not enough padding tword the rear of the seat bottom and the frame is too narrow in the rear. tehre are two part sont eh fram of the seat bottom that are just under the cover and they put two pressre points on the sides of my rear end.

I HIGHLY RECOMED THAT you NOT buy a CX-9 if you are a larger than mormal person. I cannot believe that anyone over 200lb would find these seats to be comfortable on a long trip.

PLEASE DO NOT LET THIS HAPPEN TO YOU.....

There are some REALLY nice aftermarket seats out there. I'm sure you could get a seat that fits and even have a custom bracket made if necessary, for less than you'd lose selling the CX-9.

he's just messin' you're an idiot if you're getting rid of it only after 1k and just for the seats.

I am unfortunatly over 200LB.. and I have no prob with the seats... the only time I have a problem is if I have something in my back pocket causing me pain, so I take it out (wallet) and i am just fine. Sometime I wish the lumbar was a little higher.. but other then that .. the seats are fine. are you wide?..

sranger said:
The seats in my CX-9 are so uncomfortable to me that I am going to have to sell it after only 1000 miles. It has my rear end so sore that I cannot stand to drive it any longer. I have owned many vehicles over the years and this is the only vehicle that I have experianced this problem with. My last vehicle was a 2005 Mercury Mariner and the seats were not any bigger, but were much more comfortable. The dealer and Mazda will not do anything to help me...

I am completely sick about the whole thing. I can not tell you how horrable I fell at this moment. I am going to lose thousands of dollars, but I cannot stand it any longer. I spend 4-6hr a day driving and this is just intolerable. I had an upolstry guy look at it and he said there is not enough padding tword the rear of the seat bottom and the frame is too narrow in the rear. tehre are two part sont eh fram of the seat bottom that are just under the cover and they put two pressre points on the sides of my rear end.

I HIGHLY RECOMED THAT you NOT buy a CX-9 if you are a larger than mormal person. I cannot believe that anyone over 200lb would find these seats to be comfortable on a long trip.

The seats are one of the best things about ALL Mazdas. They make the best seats on the market. The Tribute/Escape/Mariner seats aren't half the seat the CX-9 has. I'm well over 200lbs. I love the seats in my CX-7 and Mazda 3. I also loved the seats in my Mazda 6 and Protege ES that we had previously.

Its not possible to build a seat to fit everyone, but you make a very broad statement saying anyone over 200lbs should not buy a CX-9.

Sorry to hear this, but of course Mazda and the dealer arent going to help you. It is not their fault that you find the seats uncomfortable and should have noticed this when you looked at the car. this is not a problem that should be left to them to fix....not being an ass, just letting you know how it is...

sranger said:

I found a solution to your problem. There is a type of inflatable device that the Doctors recomend it is used for persons that are recuperating from hemorrhoid surgery. Many of the patients that have used the inflatable device keep it. I thinks Its made out of the same material they use for the(spank) Dr. Scholls "jelling" shoe soles.

I test drove a couple different cx-7's and the leather seats hurt my back. I have problems with my back since being rear ended in my MSP 3 times while I had it. So now my back is very picky and the leather seats didnt give enough and were to stiff for my back. I then drove a sport with cloth seats and it was perfectly comfortable.

I am 6'-4" and about 230lb. The sides of the seat bolsters poke me right on my hip bones. There is a place in the side of the seat bottom on both sides where the padding is quite thin. I sink deep enough in the seat for the frame to put pressure on both sides of my hip. After a while it gets sore.

This is not a joke. I did not notice the problem until after I had driven it for about 2 hours. Of course by then it was too late. I am going to try having some extra padding put in the seat before I try to sell it. The upolstery guy said he could fix the problem, but would have to change the way the seat bottom is made and make a new cover. In order for the seats to match, I will have to have all of them replaced. This will probably cost as much as I would lose on a trade. I could, of course, just have the driver's seat fixed, but that would look stupid ( how I feel at the moment ) on a $40K vehicle....

I admit that I did not test drive it fo more than an hour before I bought one. To be honest I never even though this might be a problem. At first, I thought the seats were comfortable. However, the constant pressure on my hip bones get quite uncomfortable after a while.

I do not ride with anything in my pockets...

If you are not experiance this proble, be thankful. I just want to warrn enyone my size who is thinking about buying one. This IS NOT somthing that you would notice in a test drive...

Last edited:
Mazda3 said:
The seats are one of the best things about ALL Mazdas. They make the best seats on the market. The Tribute/Escape/Mariner seats aren't half the seat the CX-9 has. I'm well over 200lbs. I love the seats in my CX-7 and Mazda 3. I also loved the seats in my Mazda 6 and Protege ES that we had previously.

Its not possible to build a seat to fit everyone, but you make a very broad statement saying anyone over 200lbs should not buy a CX-9.

I am glad that you like the CX-7 seats, but this is a CX-9 model. All I can say is that it is very uncomfortable to me...

I believe you are having discomfort. I was just stating that most people don't. I would try adjusting the bottom and/or back of the seat at different angles to see if it helps at all.

sranger said:

Sorry Mate,
I just Dont believe you -
I'm 192cm and 120 kg
(For metrically challanged, that translates to about 6'3''1/2 and 260 pounds) and i feel NO DISCOMFORT at all. (boom07)

So, it's look like you on your own -
and that should not give you any ground
to justify the "NOT to Buy a CX-9" announcement??? (notcool)

Last edited:
I am 192 cm, 113 kg and found the CX-9 driver seat one of the most comfortable on the market. Also, headroom and legroom are much better than the competitor CUVs and some SUVs.

Dalton said:
Sorry Mate,
I just Dont believe you -
I'm 192cm and 120 kg
(For metrically challanged, that translates to about 6'3''1/2 and 260 pounds) and i feel NO DISCOMFORT at all. (boom07)

So, it's look like you on your own -
and that should not give you any ground
to justify the "NOT to Buy a CX-9" announcement??? (notcool)

I do not care wether or not you believe me. I know that it is very uncomfortable to me! That is all I can base my opinion on. I honestly find it hard to believe that other people my size would find this seat comfortable on a long trip. I am begining to wonder if somthing is simply made wrong in my seat.

I asked my dealer to take a look and see if somthing it actually wrong with the way the seat is constructed and they refused to do so. I called the local Mazda Rep and he also refused to even take a look.

Until I find some solution to or reason for the problem, I stand my my Warning to anyone who is larger than average. If all seats are made the way Mine is, I know that other people my size will find it uncomfortable...

I believe you.
I bought a seat cushion with massage function for a seat in my house before.
It had a bad design, where the massage motor housings, hard plastic shells, can be felt right through the padding.

After a while, it really starts to hurt. I returned the seat cushion pronto.
The original purpose of me buying a seat cushion was that my seat wasn't padded sufficiently, and it hurt me when my behind gets pushed on the hard objects beneath, especially the screws.

Some possible causes of your problem may be:
1. Mismanufactured/misaligned foam
2. your bone shape is different from others (has no relation to weight).
3. You may have developed some medical problems over the years. If the pain happens outside the CX-9, you may want to see a doctor.

But I understand how painful bottoming out a seat, and hitting the hard objects below the padding is.
I have had plenty of experience with other seats like that.
Not with the CX-9 specifically, but I know what you're talking about.

Once you've become aware that it's possible for you to have a problem like this, you can probably be more cautious with buying seats in the future.
Push hard everywhere on the cushion.
Sit on it and shift your weight around, putting all your weight on one spot.
If you can feel through the cushion the slightest bit of hard objects underneath, that seat is not for you. It will hurt in a few minutes to hours.

Last edited:
Well,

I stopped by and talked to the upolstry guy today and I am going to bring it in on Monday mourning. He is going to take the seat bottom apart and see if there is anything wrong with the construction of my seat or any defect in the materials. He felt around on the seat bottom and said that there appeared to be a lot of excess leather behind the two seams where the two colors meet in the seam on the side bolsters. He said that the amount of leather he could feel under the seam seemed unusual. He said it was probably not trimmed off properly before assembly. He thinks that the extra wad of leather might be what is poking into the side of my hips. He did note that he did not feel the same wad of leather on the passenger's seat bottom.

He also suggested adding about 5/8 - 1" of foam in the bottom rear section of the seat. He thinks that I am sinking too far down in the seat at the back and that combined with some excess leather in the seam is causing my discomfort. He said if this is the problem, It would be an easy fix and I should not be able to see any difference in the seat.

I'll let you guys know how it goes...

I am 6 ft tall and 250 lbs, and I find the seats in my wife's CX-9 to be very comfortable. I spent two 6 hours stretches driving her car while on vacation during memorial weekend and I had no problems at all. I am really suprised to hear you are having such a hard time. Everyone who has ridden in her car has commented on it's comfort.

Back