Got Nitro? Dealer Has Gas Issues

Infymus

:
CX9, Mazda 3
Well, a form of gas.

The CX9 (and all cars) have a recommended front and back. I've never ever used it. I like a little more air, and it all depends on your tires and rims.

On my CX7, I have 20" rims with Goodyear Eagle GT II's. I like it at 35 psi all the way round.

My CX9, the dealer put nitro in it. While we don't have to go into a long winded debate on the plus and minus of o2 vs nitro (we've all been down that road), what makes it suck is having to always go to the dealer to adjust, and the gas costs per tire.

Can you mix o2 and Nitro together? I know that normal o2 in the atmosphere has nitro in it. I just want a little more pressure and don't want to go to the dealer for it.

I'm pretty sure you can mix them, and you can also get nitrogen at Goodyear and places like that. THey may charge ten bucks, but it is only 1 t ime and you can refill as much as you want.

You mean air vs Nitrogen, not Oxygen vs Nitrogen? You do know that air is 78% Nitrogen and you are asking if you can mix air with Nitrogen??? Of course you can.

That is correct, compressed air is only 22% O2 the rest is Nitrogen, so even if you add alittle bit of compressed air to your tires to bring the psi up you are still adding 3/4 Nitrogen to your mix. I doubt that would make a difference.

ryguy said:
That is correct, compressed air is only 22% O2 the rest is Nitrogen, so even if you add alittle bit of compressed air to your tires to bring the psi up you are still adding 3/4 Nitrogen to your mix. I doubt that would make a difference.

I may sound stupid, but what is the point of having pure nitrogen in tyres instead of regular air anyway? On the regular car i mean?! (uhm)

nitrogen filled tires on everyday cars is about as dumb as slapping stickers all over your civic. I'm pretty sure they get about 15 hp per sticker though.

Kyle, I agree that stickered Civics suck but disagree with your opinion on Nitrogen in tires. In addition to its slower overall pressure loss rate, it has a much lower pressure/temperature change rate. So when the temp drops to freezing the pressure drop in the tire will not be as much as with regular air. My 04 Expedition would trip at freezing temps (all tires were equally low), changing to nitrogen solved the problem. Costco and a lot of other tire installers now use it.

I know suckers, oops, I mean people that pay up to $60 to fill their tires with N2. $60! That's like, 60 packs of delicious gum!

Nitrogen fills

I got a puncture in my new 2007 CX9 GT about 2 wks after I got it. Took it to a tyre store and got it repaired, no problem. While I was there they offered to refill with N2 for no extra cost, so I went along with it.

Following weeks there developed a horrible hum from the front of the car. It was so bad you could feel it through the shifter. I was suspecting the transmission was sick, so I took it back to Mazda. Their mechanic went out for a drive with me, was shocked, and agreed that there was something seriously wrong with the driveline.

Another mechanic spotted the green valve caps, and removed the N2 and replaced it with air (at the correct pressure). Humming noise dissapeared.

I don't have a good reason why (pressures I presume), but this is what happened.

Just my $0.02 worth.

I got a puncture in my new 2007 CX9 GT about 2 wks after I got it. Took it to a tyre store and got it repaired, no problem. While I was there they offered to refill with N2 for no extra cost, so I went along with it.

Following weeks there developed a horrible hum from the front of the car. It was so bad you could feel it through the shifter. I was suspecting the transmission was sick, so I took it back to Mazda. Their mechanic went out for a drive with me, was shocked, and agreed that there was something seriously wrong with the driveline.

Another mechanic spotted the green valve caps, and removed the N2 and replaced it with air (at the correct pressure). Humming noise dissapeared.

I don't have a good reason why (pressures I presume), but this is what happened.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Nice avatar and good info. !

Back