Ceramic Brakes on MS6?

snooky

:
Mazdaspeed6 GT
Okay soo i dont know much about brakes, but i hear a lot of people talking about cars with "ceramic brakes" and how they last longer, are lighter, and brake better....

my question is; are they talking about the pad, disk, rotor...? and if it is the pad that is ceramic is it possible to do this mod to an MS6?

thanks~

Last edited:
Google is your friend...

Since they were first used on a few original equipment applications in 1985, friction materials that contain ceramic formulations have become recognized for their desirable blend of traits. These pads use ceramic compounds and copper fibers in place of the semi-metallic pad's steel fibers. This allows the ceramic pads to handle high brake temperatures with less heat fade, provide faster recovery after the stop, and generate less dust and wear on both the pads and rotors. And from a comfort standpoint, ceramic compounds provide much quieter braking because the ceramic compound helps dampen noise by generating a frequency beyond the human hearing range.

Another characteristic that makes ceramic materials attractive is the absence of noticeable dust. All brake pads produce dust as they wear. The ingredients in ceramic compounds produce a light colored dust that is much less noticeable and less likely to stick to the wheels. Consequently, wheels and tires maintain a cleaner appearance longer.

Ceramic pads meet or exceed all original equipment standards for durability, stopping distance and noise. According to durability tests, ceramic compounds extend brake life compared to most other semi-metallic and organic materials and outlast other premium pad materials by a significant margin - with no sacrifice in noise control, pad life or braking performance.

This is quite an improvement over organic and semi-metallic brake materials that typically sacrifice pad life to reduce noise, or vice versa.

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=88

so do you think if i were to opt for a set or ceramic brakes i could just replace the stock metal ones? or do you think id have to instal a speacial caliper, flywheel......

Thanks again!

just change out the pads to ceramics...nothing else required. I would have your rotors turned at the same time though.

I wouldnt turn the rotors, I would just replace the rotors and pads after another year of winter driving. Montreal has a really high salt concentration on the roads which litteraly eat away the brakes. Your car is still not even a year old snooky so your brakes should still be performing real strong. And dont forget to shoot the underside of your car before winter comes along. I know were a long way from going back to winter, just a friendly reminder.

Mikey444 said:
I wouldnt turn the rotors, I would just replace the rotors and pads after another year of winter driving. Montreal has a really high salt concentration on the roads which litteraly eat away the brakes. Your car is still not even a year old snooky so your brakes should still be performing real strong. And dont forget to shoot the underside of your car before winter comes along. I know were a long way from going back to winter, just a friendly reminder.

your totally right about the salt and how it eats at the car. what do you mean by "shoot the underside of the car" you mean with water?

by brakes are still working great, besides the fact that it makes my front wheel black with dust, my brakes are fine...

i was just curious if i needed to do some moding to the brake system to add ceramic. i think im gonna do it when my brakes finish up.
I wounder where i can get ceramic pads for an MS6?

thanks guys

Mikey444 said:

I just had my brakes serviced after owning my car for 18 months. It went through a winter in Ottawa where they use a moderated amount of salt and another winter in London where they use a crapload of salt.

My rotors needed to be turned as there were a number of grooves visible on the surface. In addition, my pads need to be changed as there were several cracks in the compound that went through the entire thickness of the compound.

I have never tracked my car, nor do I hammer the brakes so I was a bit surprised about the longevity of the pads. They did the brake service at a cost of about $550 CAN. In hindsight, if I had known that the brakes were going to need a service when I took the car in for service, I would have upgraded to a ceramic or performance pad. I still may do so later this year as I don't feel the stock pads are very durable.

R

Killer said:
ANYTIME you change the pads you should turn or replace the rotors. PERIOD. (hand)

Perhaps this is part of my ignorance in this area, but why is that? Rotors and discs are not necessarily matched sets so why should this be the case. My understanding was that the pad covered most of the usable radius of the rotor so that when the brakes were applied the entire usable surface (or at least the bulk of it) was compressed wearing the surface evenly. I believed that the rotors only needed to be turned if they were deeply grooved by uneven pad application; warped rotors needed to be replaced. Straighten me out please.

R
(uhm)

You should get the rotors turned to eliminate any wear pattern left behind from the old pads. Rarely do you see used rotors that are glass-smooth, and you shouldn't put grooved or unevenly worn rotors together with new, perfectly flat, smooth pads. Braking performance can be greatly compromised and you can shorten the life of the new pads this way. New pads and turned rotors ALWAYS.

Re:

I have EBC Red Stuff brake pads which are Ceramic. They stop great but are very harsh on the stock rotors. They have warped the rotors where i feel vibration in the steering wheel every time i use my brakes. Going to get different pads that are not so ruff on my rotors..(hi)

speed6killer said:
I have EBC Red Stuff brake pads which are Ceramic. They stop great but are very harsh on the stock rotors. They have warped the rotors where i feel vibration in the steering wheel every time i use my brakes. Going to get different pads that are not so ruff on my rotors..(hi)

so would you say they stoping distance has shortend compared to stock?

and is there as much brake dust as the stock pads.

thanks

Re:

snooky said:
so would you say they stoping distance has shortend compared to stock?

and is there as much brake dust as the stock pads.

thanks
Yea the stopping distance is shortend but damages the stock rotors. Same brake dust as stock pads..

BlackCherry06 said:
You should get the rotors turned to eliminate any wear pattern left behind from the old pads. Rarely do you see used rotors that are glass-smooth, and you shouldn't put grooved or unevenly worn rotors together with new, perfectly flat, smooth pads. Braking performance can be greatly compromised and you can shorten the life of the new pads this way. New pads and turned rotors ALWAYS.

Yeppers...(werd) and thanks!

snooky said:
okay i also dont know tooo much about discs, pads, rotors....

but i found this on ebay; https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

my Q is:

1) is it just an easy replacment instal like they say?
2) would it work with the stock pads, or would i have to buy new calipers, pads....?

thanks.
1.yes
2. yes and no.no.

But...my experience with slotted and drilled rotors not good. When the pads and rotor gets hot it feels like a cheese grater on your foot when applied. For a street application these would only be for looks IMO. Also, be prepared for more brake dust and a higher rate of pad attrition.

Last edited:
Note: I had these (Slotted and drilled rotors) on my Acura and took them off only after 2 months. I don't recommend them.

Killer said:
Google is your friend...

Since they were first used on a few original equipment applications in 1985, friction materials that contain ceramic formulations have become recognized for their desirable blend of traits. These pads use ceramic compounds and copper fibers in place of the semi-metallic pad's steel fibers. This allows the ceramic pads to handle high brake temperatures with less heat fade, provide faster recovery after the stop, and generate less dust and wear on both the pads and rotors. And from a comfort standpoint, ceramic compounds provide much quieter braking because the ceramic compound helps dampen noise by generating a frequency beyond the human hearing range.

Another characteristic that makes ceramic materials attractive is the absence of noticeable dust. All brake pads produce dust as they wear. The ingredients in ceramic compounds produce a light colored dust that is much less noticeable and less likely to stick to the wheels. Consequently, wheels and tires maintain a cleaner appearance longer.

Ceramic pads meet or exceed all original equipment standards for durability, stopping distance and noise. According to durability tests, ceramic compounds extend brake life compared to most other semi-metallic and organic materials and outlast other premium pad materials by a significant margin - with no sacrifice in noise control, pad life or braking performance.

This is quite an improvement over organic and semi-metallic brake materials that typically sacrifice pad life to reduce noise, or vice versa.

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=88

Killer said:
ANYTIME you change the pads you should turn or replace the rotors. PERIOD. (hand)
ABSOLUTLETY NOT TRUE.... OLD WIVE'(drive2) S TALE

Back