how to keep stock lcd display screen with aftermarket hu dash kit

phantom3

im going to break it down as simple as possible im may seem kinda over explaining but im going to describe every part of the install in detail....
ok you start off by always unhooking the negative battery terminal before doing anything with the vehicle electronics(disclaimer) lol but anyways you first remove the trim piece that is covering the display screen above the radio, start on the left side(driver side), this piese is only held by clips so apply moderate even pulling pressure and it will come out...than you remove the 2 screws holding the top of the radio in. after the screws are both out pull the radio strait out untill the bottom clips release than you will need to pull the bottom of the radio up and out to keep the screen at the top from getting damaged or broke. once the radio is out unplug it and, the screen, and also the screen is attached to the radio via a small clip underneath the screen taka a small flathead and stick into it pushing it off without breaking it and there will also be 2 screws on either side...keep the radio near by, your next step should be to take the aftermarket dash piece and you will neet to take a hot knife or razor knife and cut off the black piece that blocks the hole where the screen goes. once that has been removed there are 2 tabs one on either side of the bottom of the screen cut them off as well.. now you need a piece of backstrap and the following pics will show how you need to put them on

this one is on the left side:
1stmazdablueridgeadventure010.jpg

right side:
1stmazdablueridgeadventure008.jpg

fully mounted:
1stmazdablueridgeadventure009.jpg

installed:
1stmazdablueridgeadventure014.jpg

once youu get this dont its time to reassemble but first you need to take the factory radio and hook it back up turn it on and set the screen on what option you want(avg. mpg, curr. mpg, clock ect....) it on cause you wont be able to change it without pluging in the factory radio again... but do not un plug battery after you set the screen cause it will reset it. just turn the radio power off and unhook it.. now to reassemble slide radio back in put screws back in and place trim panel back over the display and the finished product should look like this

finished look:
1stmazdablueridgeadventure017.jpg

hope this was helpful...sorry this is a runon but that is how i write..if you have any ?s let me know

i have ms3 ..after you get the display can u go through the settings, instant average, total average, miles left on tank..?

no you cant search through them you have to pick one..... if you want to change what is seen, you have to hook the factory cdplayer back up long enough to change it....i just keep mine on miles left on tank i think that is most useful but that is my opinion.....doesnt matter how many you can always figure mpg on your own not that hard

nothing is spliced or anything its not wired in with the radio totally seperate plug.....you just have to detatch it fron the stock hu

Assuming that you are going to go double din, to say get the Pioneer AVIC-D3, you can get a (very pricey) kit that has the mounts for the LCD here.

phantom3 said:
im going to break it down as simple as possible im may seem kinda over explaining but im going to describe every part of the install in detail....
ok you start off by always unhooking the negative battery terminal before doing anything with the vehicle electronics(disclaimer) lol but anyways you first remove the trim piece that is covering the display screen above the radio, start on the left side(driver side), this piese is only held by clips so apply moderate even pulling pressure and it will come out...than you remove the 2 screws holding the top of the radio in. after the screws are both out pull the radio strait out untill the bottom clips release than you will need to pull the bottom of the radio up and out to keep the screen at the top from getting damaged or broke. once the radio is out unplug it and, the screen, and also the screen is attached to the radio via a small clip underneath the screen taka a small flathead and stick into it pushing it off without breaking it and there will also be 2 screws on either side...keep the radio near by, your next step should be to take the aftermarket dash piece and you will neet to take a hot knife or razor knife and cut off the black piece that blocks the hole where the screen goes. once that has been removed there are 2 tabs one on either side of the bottom of the screen cut them off as well.. now you need a piece of backstrap and the following pics will show how you need to put them on

this one is on the left side:
1stmazdablueridgeadventure010.jpg

right side:
1stmazdablueridgeadventure008.jpg

fully mounted:
1stmazdablueridgeadventure009.jpg

installed:
1stmazdablueridgeadventure014.jpg

once youu get this dont its time to reassemble but first you need to take the factory radio and hook it back up turn it on and set the screen on what option you want(avg. mpg, curr. mpg, clock ect....) it on cause you wont be able to change it without pluging in the factory radio again... but do not un plug battery after you set the screen cause it will reset it. just turn the radio power off and unhook it.. now to reassemble slide radio back in put screws back in and place trim panel back over the display and the finished product should look like this

finished look:
1stmazdablueridgeadventure017.jpg

hope this was helpful...sorry this is a runon but that is how i write..if you have any ?s let me know

Very cool and informative. Question: does the volume control on the steering wheel still work?

Thanks

subscribing to this, as I will be doing this in the next few days

I also PM'd clos561 about how to keep the trip computer from the sport model if you've done the mod to make that work on the sport....

I hope this all works!

Back