How much room is there behind the radio plate?

src666

How much room is in the console behind the radio plate?

I just picked up a 2006 6i, and will be using the Metra kit to install my Kenwood head unit. I also have a number of accessories tacked on (Phatbox, XM Direct, KCA-S220A multiple-input adapter, and would like to add the Bluetooth adapter at some point).

I'll be putting the XM receiver in the glove box (for easy transfer between cars), and think I've picked out a spot for the XM Direct adapter (behind the kick-panel by the passenger's right foot), but still need to find space for the KCA-S220A and Bluetooth interface. Is there enough room for them behind the radio plate?

Does anyone have any pictures of this area, or any guidelines on how much space is available back there?

Another problem is with the cable lengths. All of the cables that come with the Kenwood equipment are too long - I don't want to stuff 10' of cable into the dash. I know this isn't the right group, but does anyone know of shorter cables (1-2 feet) for Kenwood equipment?

Thanks in advance for any help/ideas!

Last edited:
Well, since I finally cracked open the dash, I guess I can answer my own question. Almost not enough.

There's enough room back there for a double din unit, plus a bit, so I was able to get the headunit, the switch and the steering wheel interface stuffed in there. But it was TIGHT, and getting all the wiring harnesses to arrange themselves properly was a bit of a bear.

One quick tip for anyone getting the Metra 7507 kit. There's a 2-wire plug that comes off of their factory harness adapter which is just a bit too short. It made arranging things very tricky.

Also, in the installation instructions for "Final Wiring and Assembly", step 2 is not valid for cars with manual climate controls. It says "Plug the 16 way connector that you removed from the factory radio into location 2 on the back of the 99-7507 housing". The only connector that even vaguely meets this description is a 14 pin, and doesn't mate with any connectors on the Metra panel. After talking to Tech Support, they told me to disregard that step.

I'm also going to have to dig back into the dash again, because the ambient temperature display no longer works, and I can't adjust the clock. Not sure if a connector came unplugged or if it's just a "feature" of the kit.

Back