2 Piece SSR MS1

stavrosg

Hi all,

I just broke the bank on a set of these..

wheel01.jpg

ga03.jpg

MS1-R.jpg

Arriving in a friends place in NY, next week. Should be on the car 10 days later when he brings them up.

Staggered 18x7.5 and 18x8.5, +55mm.... Will run 225/40 all around.

Think the different wheel wieghts will bother the AWD?

Stav

nice rims, but why staggered with the same size tire? did you buy them used?

It's a common setup for this mag.. the 7.5 has a 33mm lip, the 8.5 46mm..

Gives it the aggressive look, but still allows the same size tire to be used..

wow streching an 225 on an 8.5" rim.......

i wouldn't run it like that on an AWD car....possibility of f'n the diffs.

AWDTerror said:
wow streching an 225 on an 8.5" rim.......

i wouldn't run it like that on an AWD car....possibility of f'n the diffs.

A 225 tire is 8.86 inches wide, how is that stretching it onto an 8.5 wide tire?

i think you are going to f#$ck the car with a staggered setup with AWD. really nice rims though.

buit9110 said:
i think you are going to f#$ck the car with a staggered setup with AWD. really nice rims though.

i have seen staggered wheels on awd cars all the time. i have not seen any long term damage to any yet. i am also going staggered its the only way to roll.(evil)

buit9110 said:

x5

side note: how do other cars run awd with a staggered wheel setup (i.e. turbo 911s)

that's still a little wierd, though. if you want the staggered look, i'd try the same width with different offsets.

mountjonas said:
side note: how do other cars run awd with a staggered wheel setup (i.e. turbo 911s)

they're designed that way - the speed6 was designed for same size tires.

You'd be amazed that most cars that come staggered end up going non-staggered once they get competitve...

It was proven in Sport Compact Car that putting a wider tire on the rear hurts handling (if used with a wider tire as well). The larger contact patch gives the rear more grip which causes the dreaded understear.

As far as your setup, it could be a problem. The reported tolerance of front to rear diameter difference on the MS6 is something rediculous like a 1/16th 1/32nd of an inch. With the same size tires on two different size rims your going to be changing the shape of the sidewall which could change your diameter. The best you could do is have them mounted and find a way to see what kind, if any, difference there is in overall diameter. If there is a big difference I would trade the 8.5 for 7.5.

kurfgator said:
It was proven in Sport Compact Car that putting a wider tire on the rear hurts handling (if used with a wider tire as well). The larger contact patch gives the rear more grip which causes the dreaded understear.

As far as your setup, it could be a problem. The reported tolerance of front to rear diameter difference on the MS6 is something rediculous like a 1/16th 1/32nd of an inch. With the same size tires on two different size rims your going to be changing the shape of the sidewall which could change your diameter. The best you could do is have them mounted and find a way to see what kind, if any, difference there is in overall diameter. If there is a big difference I would trade the 8.5 for 7.5.

Exactly what I was concerned about. Before I mount the tires i will check diameter differences, and post pics of them side by side..

MY fingers are crossed..

Installed Pics

Well they are on...

After shaving the front calipers (nothing crazy, but scary to watch).

The kuhmo SPT's are really nice, but the lower profile BEGS for a drop, and the 225's on the rear tire look streteched. No problems with the AWD yet..

Stav

Attachments

• Picture 026.jpg
    Picture 026.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 196
  • Picture 027.jpg
    Picture 027.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 207
  • Picture 030.jpg
    Picture 030.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 245
  • Picture 034.jpg