How-To: GT Spec Trailing Brace Set

:
06 MS6/03.5 MSP
i got a set of gt spec trailing brace set from s u for my birthday (yay(boobs) ) and i fealt like documenting the install of them for the hell of it. i have a set of rhino ramps from autozone which made the install a hell of a lot quicker. it took about 30 minutes with breaks in between for pictures and talking to my girlfriend lol.

tools you'll need:

1/2" and 3/8" 17mm deep socket

12mm deep socket

3/8" drive ratchet

1/2" drive breaker bar

pb blaster for kicks

first off here's a picture off the S U site to better help you get a feel of where the bars will bolt on.

GTS-SUS-1084-3.jpg

and this is the bars fully installed

DSC01933_edited.jpg

when you're under the car you'll see the brake cable and bracket are in the way of getting to one of the 17mm bolts, remove the bracket with a 12mm. after that un-bolt the 17mm bolt above it.

DSC01928_edited.jpg

go nearly about a foot towards the rear of the car after and un-bolt this 17mm bolt as well. don't lost the washers, it's best to re-use them along with the old washers.

DSC01927_edited.jpg

this is how the bar will go on, the raised side will go towards the front of the car

DSC01929_edited.jpg

once all the hardware is out, place a washer in between the bar and the body, and the coned washer from the bolt will go in between the bar and the body as well. on the other side, washer-nut and washer-bolt of course.

DSC01930_edited.jpg

tighten everything down tight, i used a little loc-tite, the blue version, and don't forget about the 12mm cable bracket as well. this is it, when it's done.

DSC01933_edited.jpg

all should be well now, have fun and happy boosting!

I've been wondering what exactly these little guys do... is it just more stiffening of the body? Where would you see the performance benefits the most? RevLimit, what did the car feel like after you got them installed?

By the way, thanks for the how-to.

Back