power window lock mode - driver is locked out, too

Status
Not open for further replies.

musicola

We just noticed this about a week ago -
If the driver locks the power windows, not even the DRIVER can open the passenger or rear windows. What is up with that? Does anybody know if this can be reprogrammed?

Sorry if this has been addressed previously; I would think people would complain about this! I did a search and couldn't find anything.

musicola said:
If the driver locks the power windows, not even the DRIVER can open the passenger or rear windows. What is up with that? Does anybody know if this can be reprogrammed?

Sorry if this has been addressed previously; I would think people would complain about this! I did a search and couldn't find anything.

Surprise!!! It works like the owners manual says it should work.

Last edited:
Yes, it does work just like the manual says it should. It's just that I have never seen another car designed that way! Usually the lock out is to prevent children in the back seat from playing with the window switch. I have never seen one made to prevent use of all windows but the driver's window. So, yes it works as designed, but it's a dumb design. Just my opinion...

Yes, i figured it was by design and wasn't a problem with my car. I just wondered if it could be reprogrammed. And yes, I would say the most stupid window lock design ever.

musicola said:

LAZY! how hard is it to push that button before you lower a rear window? Al you guys seemed obsessed with having the car do everything for you.
"I have to open the liftgate myself! It's too HARD! WAAAAAA"

It has nothing to do with lazy. It simply has to do with a poorly designed feature that every other manufacturer for the last two decades has gotten correct. Can anyone think of a reason for having it work the way Mazda has done it?

Dude, calm down. Why would I want a power liftgate? You have me confused with somebody else. Your tone does nothing but make the Internet worse. Would you speak like that face-to-face?

It's not a MAJOR PROBLEM, but every other manufacturer seems to have figured this out years ago. I think they had R. E. Tarded design this thing. Even the folks at my dealership think it is stupid.

Maybe you are childless. Here's the scenario:

1. Why would you lock the rear windows in the first place? Answer: To keep small children from opening the windows. Think about this for a minute to let it sink in.

2. What happens when you unlock the windows in order to lower the passenger window, such as to talk to a policeman on the shoulder of a highway or a neighbor or whatever? Answer: the kids can now mess with the windows.

Bonus question:

3. What happens if a child has lowered the window, and you want to quick lock them before the other child does the same?
Answer: Normally, you would quick lock the windows and the raise the one window that is down. But in the CX-9 you need to worry about the second kid messing with the window as you leave them unlocked to roll up the first kid's window.

I hope this clears it up for everybody.

l-miwa said:
It has nothing to do with lazy. It simply has to do with a poorly designed feature that every other manufacturer for the last two decades has gotten correct. Can anyone think of a reason for having it work the way Mazda has done it?

Toyota's do it!!!!!!!!!

l-miwa said:

In short, it is a safety issue with kids.

The Hondas and Nissans I've owned worked this way. The only car I've owned that is programmable by the user is my VW Touareg. On my Touareg, when the lock button is pushed, the driver can open or close all the windows.

My wife did not notice any difference when we traded in our 05 Honda Odyssey for the CX-9 because there is no difference in the way the windows work.

So really, this is the norm more than an exception. A coworker of mine was complaining about the same thing on his Honda Ridgeline only when he found out that my Touareg has this feature.

One other feature that my Touareg has that no other jap or domestic cars have is that the doors can be programmed to unlock or lock individually or in pairs, side to side or front to back. The tailgate can also be programmed this way.

I think the biggest blunder by Mazda on this vehicle is the unavailability of proximity or back-up sensors. Big blind spot due to high rear end on this vehicle. My wife is afraid she'll hit something (or run over someone) when backing up. A large majority of people who buy this vehicle have kids. I have already complained to Mazda about this when they called me on their survey.

That is interesting that those other vehicles work this way, too. We have had Dodge and Ford domestic minivans plus a recent MPV (wife's cars), plus various domestic and imported sedans (my cars), that all worked the way I "expected" the CX-9 work. Hence my surprise.

Maybe the focus groups didn't catch this one, or there's just some "do it like so-and-so has always done it" thinking. Not a safety issue, I would say, because having the locks in the first place solves the safety issue.

I'm totally with Musicola. My 3 year old loves to roll down the window. So you have to unlock it, roll it up real quick, and re-lock it. Meanwhile, my 2 year old is rolling down his window. Pain in the arse.

All the domestic and european vehicles that I have owned with power windows have always had a lock switch that disabled only the passenger switches. I have never owned an asian vehicle with power windows (they all had manual windows). If other manufacturers do this too, maybe they have a good reason for it, but I sure can't think of one. And as all of us with children have pointed out, there is certainly a good reason for NOT doing it that way.

So all of you parents expect the car makers to include technology to compensate for your lack of control over your own kids. Try this instead: "NO"

Last edited:
CX9 SportOwner said:
So all of you parents expect the car makers to include technology to compensate for your lack of control over your own kids. Try this instead: "NO"

Amen Brotha, I have two kids under 12 and I resolve the issues by controlling them.

l-miwa said:

Yes. If you dont want anyone in back to lower the windows, then YOU dont need to lower them, either. Otherwise why does it matter WHO lowers them?

musicola said:
Dude, calm down. Why would I want a power liftgate? You have me confused with somebody else. Your tone does nothing but make the Internet worse. Would you speak like that face-to-face?

It's not a MAJOR PROBLEM, but every other manufacturer seems to have figured this out years ago. I think they had R. E. Tarded design this thing. Even the folks at my dealership think it is stupid.

Maybe you are childless. Here's the scenario:

1. Why would you lock the rear windows in the first place? Answer: To keep small children from opening the windows. Think about this for a minute to let it sink in.

2. What happens when you unlock the windows in order to lower the passenger window, such as to talk to a policeman on the shoulder of a highway or a neighbor or whatever? Answer: the kids can now mess with the windows.

Bonus question:

3. What happens if a child has lowered the window, and you want to quick lock them before the other child does the same?
Answer: Normally, you would quick lock the windows and the raise the one window that is down. But in the CX-9 you need to worry about the second kid messing with the window as you leave them unlocked to roll up the first kid's window.

I hope this clears it up for everybody.

My kids are better behaved than all of yours, I guess. Not an issue with us.

Really not sure how a simple question turned into a war, but I think were done here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back