Fwd = Lsd?

slenser

Contributor
:
06 6s 5 speed
Just wondering if they included an LSD in the FWD versions of the CX-9. I like the AWD, but would rather have the couple extra MPG of the FWD. Now if it came with Limited Slip, that would seal the deal right there. I don't have a huge need for AWD, but for the occasional trip to MN in the winter. I haven't been able to find anything on this

thanks
Sam

I was willing to give up AWD to stay in our original budget because the FWD has important features that normal FWD vehicles dont have.
Traction and stability control, and 2nd gear start out. The braking control also helps a lot. we dont get much, but we do have the occasional days of iced roads.
It will cost less to maintain thw FWD also, with no rear differential or transfer case.

Well, I HATE Mazda's traction control on my 6, so that I don't care about, but I am interested in the other features. What is 2nd gear start out? I'm almost certain the lack of LSD will kill the deal. The driveway to the MN cabin will be too much for a one wheel wonder...

slenser said:
Well, I HATE Mazda's traction control on my 6, so that I don't care about, but I am interested in the other features. What is 2nd gear start out? I'm almost certain the lack of LSD will kill the deal. The driveway to the MN cabin will be too much for a one wheel wonder...

The CX-9 is capable of starting from a dead stop in 2nd gear by using the manual shift mode to limit slipping on slick surfaces. Switch to manual and it will let you shift to 2nd gear before you start. VERY handy.

Yes, I can see how that would be handy. Unfortunately, it is not sufficient to pull it through the snow and mud uphill. I just wish companies would offer LSD instead of this "Traction Control" garbage.

Back