sirius sat. unit for 5 head unit

Kojack

:
2007 5 GT "thing 5"
i want to get the sat unit for my 5. the dealer told me it would not work in canada, is this true?

jandree22 said:
False. And as a subscriber since 2002, I can highly recommend it :)

http://siriuscanada.ca/en/

So you have the mazda unit? i have been a subscriber as well since the launch in the states. I have a new sirius unit in there now running thru the FM but since we are lucky to be in canada they reduced the power to 5v from 12 and i get alot of static.

awsome....

I will have to go over today and get one. thanks man.

how does the display work?

what comes up when listening to a channel?

I am thinking of getting this added to my 5 as well. I'll be watching this thread to see how Kojack likes it.

The unit works great sound quality is perfect (no static as with an FM modulated setup) and you can control it on the steering wheel buttons.

However I do have a gripe with it, and it does relate to the display. You can either display the Channel Number, Channel Name, Song Title, Artist Name, or Genre one at a time for each. My gripe is, while I usually set it on Artist to display, it will randomly reset back to just diplaying the Channel Number (the default). Ive played around with this for so long to no avail. It will hold the Artist name for a while, but then sometimes when I change the channel or pretty much everytime I restart the car, its switched back to Channel Number. The good thing is, theres a Display button that I just have to tap 3x to get back the info I want. Id be interested to know if you or anyone else has this same issue, or if its just isolated to my unit.

There have also been previous issues with SIRIUS channel updates, one time leaving all Mazda OEM units without service for nearly a month. They finally developed a software reflash that the dealer took care of and it solved the issue. Mazda/SIRIUS provided everyone affected with a $12.95 Sirius gift card to compensate for the lost month so that was at least a good thing. This shouldnt be a problem anymore, so dont worry about it.

awsome, someone here bought the unit in the states for their CX7, and it never worked. guess theres a difference in the radios in US and canada.

im ordering my sat unit tomorrow.

Kojack said:
awsome, someone here bought the unit in the states for their CX7, and it never worked. guess theres a difference in the radios in US and canada.

im ordering my sat unit tomorrow.

Are you guys ordering the sat. radio module from the dealer? How much is that piece in CAD? Thanks

they say they can't get it here....jandree, where did you get yours too and how much:?

what the...? (scratch)

Well, this won't be any help to you, but my satellite radio came from the factory. Which really means, it was ordered with the car and the dealer installs it before delivery. I have no clue why you're having so much hassle up in Canada, and as far as I know, there is no difference in signal between US and Canada... ie, if I drive up there my radio should work. FWIW, I think I ended paying around $350 US, but it's hard to guess since it was negotiated in with my final car price.

Sorry to hear about this :(

Last edited:
ok, Im going to research this further, my fm unit is pissing me off because they have them limited to 5v because people up here were compalining about interferance with the 12v units.

i may buy one and put it in anyways because my sub. is from the states anyways.

However I do have a gripe with it, and it does relate to the display. You can either display the Channel Number, Channel Name, Song Title, Artist Name, or Genre one at a time for each. My gripe is, while I usually set it on Artist to display, it will randomly reset back to just diplaying the Channel Number (the default). Ive played around with this for so long to no avail. It will hold the Artist name for a while, but then sometimes when I change the channel or pretty much everytime I restart the car, its switched back to Channel Number. The good thing is, theres a Display button that I just have to tap 3x to get back the info I want. Id be interested to know if you or anyone else has this same issue, or if its just isolated to my unit.

mine does it, too

There have also been previous issues with SIRIUS channel updates, one time leaving all Mazda OEM units without service for nearly a month. They finally developed a software reflash that the dealer took care of and it solved the issue. Mazda/SIRIUS provided everyone affected with a $12.95 Sirius gift card to compensate for the lost month so that was at least a good thing. This shouldnt be a problem anymore, so dont worry about it.

oh man, I didn't get a gift card. Boo!

The mazda Sirius kit is a tad overpriced, but they do all the installation and hiding of the antenna wires... plus, the SAT button would drive me crazy if it did nothing. My biggest gripe is that I was using a Starmate Replay before I got the 5, so I lost my ability to pause and rewind... no biggie, though

Here's my install.

P1010051.jpg

I liked your idea so much that I copied it almost exactly!^^^ Only difference being that I installed an XM (Delphi Roady XT) instead of Sirius. The Roady has a display color called "lime" that exactly matches the dash!

EFDisaster: Thanks for letting me know that yours does it too... sorry it does though! And I called Sirius Cust. service a few times during that outage, so perhaps this is why they compensated me with that gift card? It pays to b**** and complain I guess (thumb)

Skylab™: Top notch install! Man, I'm almost tempted to go back to my Audiovox PnP2. Wife would probably execute me for wasting money on the factory unit then(dark)

It's so convenient that the Sirius Sportster 4 fits perfectly in that hole...with the help of some tape behind it. I used the FM adapter. I listen to Howard Stern most of the time, so the acoustics are down a little from a direct connection. Satisfied overall, though.

Thanks for the compliments. (boom04)

Can you post you instalation?

I would like to install a similar unit into my wife's car. would you post your installation steps or pictures.

Thanks

It's not hard to install. You should get the FM adapter plug from sirius.com or tssradio.com.

If you're putting the unit in a Mazda 5, take the black plate out. The mobile mount that the unit sits on pretty much fits right that spot. I used tape on the inside of the plastic bracket. BTW, I did pull the head unit out.

Sorry, I don't have any install pictures. I kinda just figured it out as I went along.

-Craig

Back