2mpg in a bottle.. hmm

Wytchdctr

:
2003 Hyundai Elantra
Normally I don't listen to gimick BS, BUT. I use syn. oil in anything I plan to keep for any length of time. Just switched to mobil1 last week. Ran it on 15k with regular oil because I'm weird and still think there is a such thing as break in. Anyway, here is what i noticed

Once a month for the last few months Ive been making a 330mile (one way) trip with the 5. Always get gas at the same place, drive the same roads, at about the same speed.

With dyno oil
28mpg on every trip +- .2mpg

after mobil1
30mpg

on the trip home,
30mpg

Anyone else actually see a difference after a switch away from dyno oil? With my hyundai I did alot of crap at the same time so it was hard to tell what really helped. (Syn oil, exhaust/intake, UDP, etc) Also my 5 is a year and a half old and only has 16k miles on it. It hasn't "broken in" anymore since the last trip. It doesn't get driven that much.

Can you list brand/grade/interval of oil/filter change on both dino and synthetic?

My oil change is coming up. I plan to switch to synthetic but haven't decide on 20 or 30 wt. yet.

exhaust/intake = gas saver if you like to not drive (ie. cruise control)

When I switched I didn't notice it that much but that was over the winter. I am getting around 30mpg now which is up a bit from last year but i do more highway driving so its hard to say.

I saw that from Mobil 1 about 20 years ago, but haven't since then. Not on the 5 nor anything else in the past 5-10 years. Personally, I'd guess the warmer weather was helping, but I don't know.

Just in general, synthetic oil retains much closer to the same viscosity over a very broad temperature range, unlike even multi-weight dino oil which will still be thicker when it's cold. My bet is that the difference is primarily temperature related, providing more advantage to those making shorter infrequent trips, but still offering an improvement no matter how one drives.

There has been a recent discussion on gassavers.com regarding this issue where some have seen similar results. The one thing that I have NEVER seen anybody contend however is that their fuel economy or vehicle was in any way compromised by switching to synthetic.

Apparently the only thing you have to lose is a few extra bucks.

bulwnkl said:
I saw that from Mobil 1 about 20 years ago, but haven't since then. Not on the 5 nor anything else in the past 5-10 years. Personally, I'd guess the warmer weather was helping, but I don't know.

almost the same temps as last trip. A "cold" front had pushed through the area the day before the trip so it was very similar weather to the last trip I made.

Can you list brand/grade/interval of oil/filter change on both dino and synthetic?

My oil change is coming up. I plan to switch to synthetic but haven't decide on 20 or 30 wt. yet.

After the stock stuff came out I ran Castrol GTX 5w20 with 4.5-5k intervals. As far as filters. The first change I did I used a fram, never again the damn thing twisted, the last two have been factory. Now running mobil1 5w20.

I switched my truck over to amsoil series 3000 top tier oil and got a good increase. using all amsoil fluids in my truck i went from 798 kms best on a tank to 893kms best, same amount of driving same speed etc.

I plan on running extended drain intervals on my 5 as well, as soon as the first oil change is done, i will be running asmoil series 3000, atf, and any other fluid i can get. 35,000 km oil changes and the oil is in better condition than others at 8000 kms.

snax: allow me to be the first. I have documented a VERY SMALL decline in fuel economy from a couple/few vehicles when I switched to RedLine oil throughout (engine, gearbox, and rear end in the case where it was separate from the trans). This would agree with what is predicted by going to a higher HTHS oil. Using one viscosity grade lower than what is recommended corrects the decline and with RedLine that will still give one the same HTHS as the higher-grade mineral oil (and also all common synthetic oils). I am aware that nearly everyone else I've encountered claims better mpg with RedLine, and I haven't always experienced a decline, but I have in some. RedLine is made differently than nearly all others, and I believe that shows in this manner in some vehicles.

Kojack said:
I switched my truck over to amsoil series 3000 top tier oil and got a good increase. using all amsoil fluids in my truck i went from 798 kms best on a tank to 893kms best, same amount of driving same speed etc.

I am actually suprised that you gained MPG from going to heavier (and diesel) oil.

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/hdd.aspx

Last edited:
Back