Voice controlled Nav system question

Hey all,
My other beef with the dealer not knowing the CX-9 well enough is they can't answer questions about the voice activation. If I say one of the listed phrases, it either repeats something totally off, or it says, "You are not under route guidance". Well how the %&* do I GET under route guidance?? LOL

If I press the buttons on the menu, it still won't let me do the voice. My house is programmed in, but if I say "Go Home" it still won't work w/ the voice activation. Any ideas?
Kimberly

kimberly57 said:
Hey all,
My other beef with the dealer not knowing the CX-9 well enough is they can't answer questions about the voice activation. If I say one of the listed phrases, it either repeats something totally off, or it says, "You are not under route guidance". Well how the %&* do I GET under route guidance?? LOL

If I press the buttons on the menu, it still won't let me do the voice. My house is programmed in, but if I say "Go Home" it still won't work w/ the voice activation. Any ideas?
Kimberly

English courses maybe :D

I am also having similar problems. I posted in another forum about the voice training commands for bluetooth. Seems there are 45 voice training commands for bluetooth, but I am trying to figure out if that will have any effect on the voice recognition for navigation.

My salesperson told me that it learns over time what your voice sounds like....but if it still thinks that "Go Home" means "Gas Stations", it doesn't help me if it is making that association over time.

Really annoying.

If anyone has any insights on how to get your voice recognition to work better for nav, I think there would be many people happy to hear from you.

Thanks,
Patrick

kimberly57 said:
Pretty funny! I guess you haven't tried to use one yet... :p
kimberly

i got a bigger problem (sad1)
my Navsystem is missing a continent, not to mention a roads and POI-s (bang)

Navigation microphone input level

Just wondering if my CX-9 is the only one with low navigation microphone input level. I am suspecting, that there is an unbalanced input level difference between the Bluetooth and the Navigation modes.
Bluetooth voice recognition works @90% success rate, navigation @10%.

Here is the test:

1. Ignition Switch: ACC or ON
2. Menu/Navigation Setup/Calibration/Map Version/ UP / UP / DOWN / DOWN.
(UP => Tap the top left hand side of the LCD screen; DOWN => Tap the bottom left hand side of the LCD screen). You are now in "Diagnosis Check" mode.
3. Select "Navigation Check" followed by "Microphone Check"
4. "Microphone input level judge circle" should be blue at normal test voice level, with your head turned towards the microphone. My circle remains grey, until I start shouting at the top of my voice...

How about yours?

OMF said:
Just wondering if my CX-9 is the only one with low navigation microphone input level. I am suspecting, that there is an unbalanced input level difference between the Bluetooth and the Navigation modes.
Bluetooth voice recognition works @90% success rate, navigation @10%.

Here is the test:

1. Ignition Switch: ACC or ON
2. Menu/Navigation Setup/Calibration/Map Version/ UP / UP / DOWN / DOWN.
(UP => Tap the top left hand side of the LCD screen; DOWN => Tap the bottom left hand side of the LCD screen). You are now in "Diagnosis Check" mode.
3. Select "Navigation Check" followed by "Microphone Check"
4. "Microphone input level judge circle" should be blue at normal test voice level, with your head turned towards the microphone. My circle remains grey, until I start shouting at the top of my voice...

How about yours?
OMF, you rock! Mine behaves the same way! I bet you just found the root cause of why the CX-9 nav voice recognition is so completely unusable -- it can't hear us! Duh!

Do you have any info on where the adjustments are? Even if not, I will be contacting the dealer early next week and have them investigate this immediately.

Thank you!!!

Lexx

Lexx said:
Do you have any info on where the adjustments are? Even if not, I will be contacting the dealer early next week and have them investigate this immediately.

No idea about the adjustment. I have an interesting reading though...

http://www.nyccs.net/filelib/KNA-DV3200%20Manual.pdf

Go to page 8 of the PDF file. From the number of similarities between our navi system screens and Kenwood KNA-DV3200's, I can imagine that the sampling and comparator works the same way.

Waiting for your dealer's investigation results... Thanks in advance for posting.

kimberly57 said:
Hey all,

Kimberly

Try "destination home" instead of "go home"

Entering NAV destination by voice

Hi,

Does anyone know if you can enter a street address destination with voice entry on a 2007 Mazda 5 nav system? When I say "destination" it responds with "not under route guidance." I have no idea what that means and the manual doesn't help.

Thanks.

Voice Trainining Script

My problem with trying to train the voice recognition is that I get the system in the training mode, but the instructions then refer me to say a specific list of words, that I cannot find anywhere in either the regular owners manual or the navi manual. Does anyone know where or what the "training words" are? Thanks.

Five,
According to the separate Navi system manual just saying "Destination" is actually implying you want to cancel or delete the currently set destination, hence the message you get back. If you want to set a destination I believe you need to say "Enter Destination" or "Preset Destination 1" etc. I cannot confirm this is the car refuses to understand anything I say.

Bbrf033,
I don't have my 2008 owners manual in front of me but the online version has the list on page 6-117 under Voice Recognition Learning function. There's a list of 45 commands. Personally I found it had absolutely no effect and a waste of 15 minutes. The phonebook voice commands are unusable for me.

I have the same problem, I repeat the same command and it won't understand and reply something different multiple times, it seems to happen when I'm driving - I'm not happy to spend $2,000 on a nav system that doesn't work and Mazda doesn't seem to be doing anything about it. For those of us that have used the microphone diagnostic level check mine will move up one bar or if I blow accross the mic it hears -but drive the vehicle and talk and it doesn't pick up. I have also noticed that the Bose Audio Pilot that is suppose to pick up the volume of the music to compensate for surrounding sound doesn't seem to work. I do believe this problem is a adjustment for mic gain or something having to do how Mazda combined the bluetooth module with the navigation to share the same microphone. Can anyone tell me what your dealers have done to resolve this it isn't common in other car manufacturers and I believe they can resolve, anyone escalate issue. Thanks.

I've run into this with mine several times, but it isn't consistent. I've had it fail to disconnect a phone calls where I'm leaving a voice message and after I'm finished I say cancel and nothing happens.
The display says listening, but the system doesn't accept the command. I end up having to grab the phone and end the call manually.

I've also had it act brain dead trying to use the phonebook commands. It just can't seem to understand what I've said and goes off in some strange direction, even with the vehicle sitting still and the engine off.

I did the voice training exercise in the manual but, surprisingly enough, that seemed to make things worse for a few days afterward.

This isn't all that unusual for these systems. I have voice command in my other vehicle and it will also fail to hear commands correctly. Speaking louder seems to make it worse. Speaking more evenly seems to help.

bad Navigation Voice Recognition -

Has anyone actually had this navigation voice recognition problem escalated to Mazda? Does Mazda care about this situation in your opinion? Has anyone experimented with the microphone placement or cover to help with this issue? mic gain adjustment in the system? I'm curious how many people have reported it to Mazda and left the dealership without a answer? I'd like to fight Mazda but can't do it alone.. I'm rather disappointed that we pay $2000 for a option that isn't fully functional as it's stated... and yes of course I realize Mazda is not the only one that may have problems like this but I feel it's a fixable problem but I don't think Mazda thinks it's big enough to dedicate people to resolve the problem. (notcool)

Yeah, it's definitely not working well.

I've been playing with this since the last post and the thing is annoying brain dead when using the phonebook command. It might correctly identifiy the command 1 time in 10, which is totally unacceptable.
My other vehicle, an Acura TL, isn't anywhere close to being that stupid and that voice recogntion software is 4 years older.

I'll probably take this up with the dealer in the near future. The odd thing is that other commands seem to mostly work OK, but some of the phone commands are not working well at all.

Ted

Navigation "SP1" Proposal - if anyone from inside MAZDA is reading this forum:

It would be acceptable for me if there was an option made available to select between a voice menu and voice recognition... I would certainly go for the voice menu option.

Back