Mazda 6 brake pulsing problem

magnum68

:
mazda 6 wagon
My 2006 Mazda 6S wagon has a brake pulsing problem. Moderate braking from highway speeds demonstrate the problem which is felt as pulsing through the brake pedal. The problem is not ABS pulsing, ABS pulsing occurs with harder braking.

The problem has been present since the car was new and gets worse with use.The dealer resurfaced the front rotors at 5K miles and the problem was temporarily ameliorated. The pulsing began again shortly after resurfacing and at 7.7K miles the problem is so bad I'm taking it back to the dealer. I do not want the dealer to continually turn the rotors, at this rate the rotors will be below the servicable thickness soon.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Any cures? Will new pads help? A different pad compound? Diffferent rotor?

Background: Car gently used as a grocery-getter and kidmobile by housewife. She does not rest her foot on the brake. Lug nuts torqued to the proper tightness.

Thanks

Scott

A new set of rotors is probably all it needs. After coming to a stop from high speeds (or other braking that can heat up the pads/rotors) I make a practice of not sitting in one place with my foot on the brake. That can cook the rotor in one spot and lead to warping. I'll either drift forward or backward slowly to let them cool down.

He said the lugs were torqued properly.

I have never had success with turning rotors. They always warp afterward. Take it back to the dealer and demand they replace the rotors and pads.

Interesting technique nate. I always make a point to slow down early and let the car roll to a stop. I never brake heavy to a complete stop but I will remember your post if I do happen to do this (in the event of an emergency).

chuyler1 said:
He said the lugs were torqued properly.

I have never had success with turning rotors. They always warp afterward. Take it back to the dealer and demand they replace the rotors and pads.

Interesting technique nate. I always make a point to slow down early and let the car roll to a stop. I never brake heavy to a complete stop but I will remember your post if I do happen to do this (in the event of an emergency).

Manuals FTW. Just come to a stop and let go of the brake.

Elicious said:
Manuals FTW. Just come to a stop and let go of the brake.
The pad is still very close to the rotor even if you're not pressing the brake. So I still like to roll forwards or backwards just in case ;)

Brake pulsing - update

The dealer did replace both front brake rotors under warranty at my request. I feel that someone less persistent or unable to argue automotive technology may not have had their warranty honored. Note to all Dealerships: If you locate your business on a street with hours of stop and go traffic per day, the customer expects the automobile to be able to handle this environment.

2005 MAZDA 6S Brake problems

magnum68 said:
My 2006 Mazda 6S wagon has a brake pulsing problem. Moderate braking from highway speeds demonstrate the problem which is felt as pulsing through the brake pedal. The problem is not ABS pulsing, ABS pulsing occurs with harder braking.

The problem has been present since the car was new and gets worse with use.The dealer resurfaced the front rotors at 5K miles and the problem was temporarily ameliorated. The pulsing began again shortly after resurfacing and at 7.7K miles the problem is so bad I'm taking it back to the dealer. I do not want the dealer to continually turn the rotors, at this rate the rotors will be below the servicable thickness soon.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Any cures? Will new pads help? A different pad compound? Diffferent rotor?

Background: Car gently used as a grocery-getter and kidmobile by housewife. She does not rest her foot on the brake. Lug nuts torqued to the proper tightness.

Thanks

Scott

Brake problems

Mazda has worked on my brakes, turned, replaced rotors only for them to to pulsation. 4 times in 30,000 miles. Most withen 5,000 miles of each problem.They have never replace the rotors and brakes at the same time. I am sure they are pushing the piston back into the caliper. They should be bled. The hoses are made for fluid to move through one way.. Pushing the fluid back into the brakes lines can cause failure.Mazda USA contends it is the way my wife drives. I guess every car around her has the same problems. They are offering $$$ and extended service plan. That is a admission of problems. They have not offered to buy the car back. They claim it doesn't meet Ohio lemon law. Brake problem can cause an accident that can cause injury or death. It the owners manual. This is our 4th Mazda.

Any question, quotes or any answers????(enguard)
magnum68 said:

Thanks

Scott

It's personally the third time I have this problem myself. First time the rotors were resurfaced, second time, pads and rotors were replaced. And right now, I just stopped giving a s***. Just looking forward to the last year of the lease to end. I want something that feels more glued to the road for everyday driving. Maybe a SAAB or Cadillac since we get awesome rebates with GM.

Last edited:
TheMAN said:
if the lug nuts are improperly tightened, it could cause rotor warpage also
Then they need to learn the proper torque pattern and how to use a torque wrench instead of saying it is my driving pattern. Horse s***!

magnum68 said:
The dealer did replace both front brake rotors under warranty at my request. I feel that someone less persistent or unable to argue automotive technology may not have had their warranty honored. Note to all Dealerships: If you locate your business on a street with hours of stop and go traffic per day, the customer expects the automobile to be able to handle this environment.
You are 100% right. Mazda needs to look into the brake problems further.

smoke_dude20 said:
Pushing the fluid back into the brakes lines can cause failure.

I don't see how it can lead to failure as long as the brake fluid reservoir cap is off. (scratch)

It sounds like your local dealer failed to mention the problem mazda has had with their caliper mount brake clips. They get loose and make the pads not move correctly causing "disc thickness variation". There is NO such thing as a warped rotor, because you cannot warp something that is forged. It is just variations in thickness you are feeling in the pedal. And yes, fluid is able to travel back through the line, if the caliper piston is pressed back into the caliper. Any questions PM or Email me

Other than the transmission jerking from 1st to 2nd gear during the beginning of the day there were no problems with our Mazda 6. Now my wife drive 100 miles round trip every day and now the front disc brakes are suddenly beginning to pulse and the pedal goes down further. When I take it out and suddenly test braking to full stop the front end seems to slip to a complete stop as if the universals are slipping inside the transmission. 28000 miles this began and now the wife comes home saying the car even cutst off when coming to stop for a red light suddenly. Heck, I didn't realize Mazda had these problems.AJ
http://servicepartstec.blogspot.com/
http://appliancepartseast.blogspot.com/

I had the same problem. Recently put on high performance rotors. Ill let you know how it goes. Send me a message to let me know if i should keep you informed or not? Thanks

It's personally the third time I have this problem myself. First time the rotors were resurfaced, second time, pads and rotors were replaced. And right now, I just stopped giving a s***. Just looking forward to the last year of the lease to end. I want something that feels more glued to the road for everyday driving. Maybe a SAAB or Cadillac since we get awesome rebates with GM.

or an MS6. :)

Can't just let the 3-year-old thread die a peaceful death?

Back